• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else just not bothered by home theatre?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@DonH56

Ah man don't cheap out on the center man that's where 70% of the audio comes from according to Polk Audio(Yes that is where i got my name from love polk audio speakers, not much else from them)

You can grab some decent smaller center if space is a major concern and generally it is for the center.

Well, I might have exaggerated my cheapness, just a hair... I have six Revel Salon2's for L/R, surrounds and rears, but it's too tall for a center in my (mixed HT/music) system so I have a Revel Voice2 center.

Agree the center is pretty critical for HT. I have run phantom center and did not care for it.

Store I worked for in the 1980's carried Polk, even got to meet The Man (Mathew) a few times. I liked them back then, have not really heard their current line. They had their quirks, but who doesn't? :)

Kouioui

Forum Donor
My home theater journey started in 1985 with a 50" Sony VideoScope front-projection TV and Magnepan panel speakers with sub. Went to a dedicated listening room and large floor-standing JBLs after that. Didn't jump into the LCD scene until 1080p with nearfield monitors, closer listening and viewing distances, and later large 5.1/7.1 setups.

As of 2016, I'm using 2.1 active monitors/sub, HTPC, and 4K OLED display at close distances. There's enough soundfield envelopment from modern tweeter waveguides that I don't miss surround. I'm wishing for vastly improved VR head displays and headphones with holographic imaging but may not be around long enough to experience it due to the health and economy crisis. Stay well everyone and always look to the future.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My teenage son and I decided to watch "2001: A Space Odyssey". For some reason, we started watching in the living room -> 50" TV with sound from the TV. We were both asleep in 15 minutes.

Couple days later, we started the movie up in the HT room and were enthralled for entire movie, and it was all because that classical music score sounded MASSIVE in the HT room. The experience was night and day.
Closet subjectivist!!! :p

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a bunch of RCA ground isolators on Amazon, Monoprice, Parts Express, etc. E.g. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=rca+ground+isolator&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Another alternative for low-power components is a powerline ground isolator like Ebtech's Hum-X: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX--ebtech-hum-by-ground-loop-hum-exterminator

HTH - Don
Thanks Don ... Will try some of those eventually.
O.T.. a little and since I am one of those currently bothered by his HT left channel ..buzzing and humming ...

I never had any issue with my AVR RCA pre out to XLR adapters, then recently I got a young , extremely active great hunter cat and the left front channel developed a buzz traceable to the cable ... not the speaker or the AC, just that signal cable. Any other speaker that is not humming connected to this cable hums and buzzes, disconnecting the RCA to XLR adapter removes the buzz, connecting it back .. Buzz .. same adapter on any other of similar cables ... no buzz,,, back to the left channel cable on any speaker... buzz.. What can I do ? Besides investing in the above adapters? I would have done it in a hurry, only that, getting anything these days from Amazon to outside the US, has become nar impossible due to the current world-wide pandemic ...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I might have exaggerated my cheapness, just a hair... I have six Revel Salon2's for L/R, surrounds and rears, but it's too tall for a center in my (mixed HT/music) system so I have a Revel Voice2 center.

Agree the center is pretty critical for HT. I have run phantom center and did not care for it.

Store I worked for in the 1980's carried Polk, even got to meet The Man (Mathew) a few times. I liked them back then, have not really heard their current line. They had their quirks, but who doesn't? :)

I already told you that I hate you ! bear repeating!!!

:cool::D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks Don ... Will try some of those eventually.
O.T.. a little and since I am one of those currently bothered by his HT left channel ..buzzing and humming ...

I never had any issue with my AVR RCA pre out to XLR adapters, then recently I got a young , extremely active great hunter cat and the left front channel developed a buzz traceable to the cable ... not the speaker or the AC, just that signal cable. Any other speaker that is not humming connected to this cable hums and buzzes, disconnecting the RCA to XLR adapter removes the buzz, connecting it back .. Buzz .. same adapter on any other of similar cables ... no buzz,,, back to the left channel cable on any speaker... buzz.. What can I do ? Besides investing in the above adapters? I would have done it in a hurry, only that, getting anything these days from Amazon to outside the US, has become nar impossible due to the current world-wide pandemic ...

Maybe I'm missing something, but if it is not the adapter, AVR, or speaker, why not just replace the cable? Sounds like the cat might have shredded or broken the shield on that cable.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, Don, the year is young, but you have the lead in my Understatement of the Year category. At least for audio; this is a weird year.

I think you may also hold the record for largest number of Salon2s in a single residence.

Just out of curiosity, what is the floor area taken by this system?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In most movie mixes, probably 95% of the sound (and 100% of the sound that actually matters) comes from the front.
This simply has to be a point in the discussion where we all have to agree to disagree. IMO the surround effects of birds all around me in outdoor movies fills me with joy, as does a plane flying overhead coming from my ceiling speakers. If that’s no interest to you then that’s fine and to continue discussing this topic makes little sense. The important part is everyone works toward a sound system they thoroughly enjoy.

Putter

Forum Donor
My home theater journey started in 1985 with a 50" Sony VideoScope front-projection TV and Magnepan panel speakers with sub. Went to a dedicated listening room and large floor-standing JBLs after that. Didn't jump into the LCD scene until 1080p with nearfield monitors, closer listening and viewing distances, and later large 5.1/7.1 setups.

As of 2016, I'm using 2.1 active monitors/sub, HTPC, and 4K OLED display at close distances. There's enough soundfield envelopment from modern tweeter waveguides that I don't miss surround. I'm wishing for vastly improved VR head displays and headphones with holographic imaging but may not be around long enough to experience it due to the health and economy crisis. Stay well everyone and always look to the future.

The note about tweeter waveguides struck a chord (sorry;)) with me. I got a pair of JBL E20 speakers which have a small waveguide on the tweeter. I've been impressed on how well they place the singers and instruments in discrete locations and creating that enveloping soundfield. They're not expensive speakers and I'm sure other more expensive waveguide based speakers do it better with less distortion, flatter response, etc. That said waveguide seem like a game changer the way that put speaker drivers on a vertical axis instead of randomly, or advances in modeling allowed ported speakers to be designed for flat response, again etc.

That said I still like the extra envelopment of surround on recording that were made for it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm missing something, but if it is not the adapter, AVR, or speaker, why not just replace the cable? Sounds like the cat might have shredded or broken the shield on that cable.
Most of the cable is inside a conduit inside a concrete wall :( ... dig a trench for the conduit , put the cables and cemented it back :( .. There is about 10 ft coming out and the cat may have chewed it ...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Most of the cable is inside a conduit inside a concrete wall :( ... dig a trench for the conduit , put the cables and cemented it back :( .. There is about 10 ft coming out and the cat may have chewed it ...

Is this a speaker cable or line-level? I'd check the cable very carefully from wall to whatever and, if line level, replace the connector as well as any suspect length that may be pulled or scratched.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Well, Don, the year is young, but you have the lead in my Understatement of the Year category. At least for audio; this is a weird year.

I think you may also hold the record for largest number of Salon2s in a single residence.

Just out of curiosity, what is the floor area taken by this system?

Room is 13' 3" (4.04 m) wide by 17' 7" (5.36 m) deep (long) by 8' 6" (2.59 m). It has floating walls and ceiling, floor is concrete (basement), and has its own mini-split for HVAC, so is isolated from the rest of the house. Heavily treated though I have pulled some down to slide the Salon2's a little more forward (they are deep).

It's a very modest room and the speakers sort of dominate but it's my room so I don't care... I did get opinions from Floyd and Kevin at Harman, mainly to be sure the sound would coalesce when I was fairly close, and they agreed it would be fine. They disagreed on whether I should get them or something else (Floyd favored Gem2's mounted higher), but this was a few years ago when they had a run of blems and I got a fantastic deal.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
5.1 takes too much space + I feel there are not many movies that I really like these days + movies are one time watch mostly music is for life so I am also on a 2.0 set up (LP6s) for mostly music/yt and to enjoy movies I use my JBL FLIP4 and keep it close to my ears/head on my bed to enjoy vocals etc. Simple.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5.1 takes too much space + I feel there are not many movies that I really like these days + movies are one time watch mostly music is for life so I am also on a 2.0 set up (LP6s) for mostly music/yt and to enjoy movies I use my JBL FLIP4 and keep it close to my ears/head on my bed to enjoy vocals etc. Simple.
If you’ve never heard a nice/properly set up MCH DVD-A or SACD music disc, you really are missing out.

@Kal Rubinson

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I was always fairly agnostic about home theater, and in fact after first setting up 7.1 went back to 5.1 for quite a while as there just seemed to be little need (or content) for 7.1, but I've gotten to like the immersive experience. We do not go out much to movies, too expensive, too loud, too crowded, so I tend to watch at home. Even for a movie I really want to see, I am most likely to wait until it comes out on disc. I still feel surround is underutilized in far too many movies but it is really nice when it works. I have visited my dealer just to demo his Atmos system and plan to pick up some (probably four) high speakers just because (a man can never have too many speakers don'tcha' know). It is another one of those things that is sooo cool when it works and the mix is right even though there might not be much content that really shows it off.

Yesterday the high here was 27 degF with 6.5" of snow. I would have liked to hear the birds but the snowthrower and shoveling chased them away. The birds are out today and skies are clear (so far) but, other than putting out more bird seed, I plan to go watch a movie in my little man cave. First Saturday I've not worked in four weeks.

I have not counted recently but my movies collection may have passed my CD collections; I have a few hundred of each. At my peak I had over 3000 records, but got rid of most of them after college, and have not set up a turntable in years. I have about a dozen SACD or music videos and again appreciate the immersion.

I like live music, and have done my share over the years on stage and off, but also appreciate sitting on the couch and enjoying a CD or SACD where I always get the sweet spot and don't have to deal with perfume, coughing, phone screens in the dark, and the little quirks of "being there". Plus tickets have gotten expensive the past few years. I still give to my local symphony but only make about one concert a year. My wife and I had actually planned on a couple of rock concerts in March and April but that's all cancelled, natch.

I have friends "all-in" on stereo who deride my multichannel system -- until they hear it. I had stereo for decades but even back then found quadraphonic was neat and for a while made a few bucks on the side making little cross-coupling circuits to derive a sort of ambient sound for rear speakers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've always been fussy about sound quality for music, but when it comes to watching television or movies, as long as I can see what's going on and hear the dialogue, I'm quite happy. I've never felt that a giant screen or surround sound adds much to the experience.

Friends have tried to impress me with their movie set ups, which has on occassion made me wish I'd taken some ear plugs; I don't want to deafened by gun shots and explosions, nor do I want dialogue at the volume of a drill seargent shouting in my face. At home, with some movies I prefer to watch them with small speakers that will naturally cut off above all the bass rumble.

Is it just me?
If you really were "fussy" about your music, you'd have a quality multich system. Then using it to watch movies or TV is optional. I've had some type of multich rig since around 1975 and can't relate in the least to your post. You don't know what your missing.
But I do understand, it's the way 95% of the population feel about your excessive stereo system, they just don't care.

PS, Don, Go for the full 4 speaker Atmos setup. I wasn't prepared for the improvement it brought to my system with Atmos encoded movies.
Also works well with some stereo recordings using Auro 3D up-sampling if you have that codec.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you really were "fussy" about your music, you'd have a quality multich system. Then using it to watch movies or TV is optional. I've had some type of multich rig since around 1975 and can't relate in the least to your post. You don't know what your missing.

I've always liked the idea, but it never seemed worth it when 99%+ of the content is stereo.

How good is the upmixing nowdays, and are there any options besides bloated AVRs?

Top Bottom