• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of air motion transformers amongst those systems! What do you think of them generally?
If you don't mind an old man with lots of time fleshing out the story of why I liked ribbon and air motion transformer speakers, here goes..

So there I was, 16 years old and in addition to listening to music on the radio, as well as from jukeboxes at the off-campus school supply and lunch stores, I had stumbled upon the world of excellent acoustic music in the form of classical and jazz. And that first HiFi system I owned with its big three-way bass reflex speaker design and Jensen drivers played the music on my LP's with a sense of "ease" that I have always loved, and tried to reproduce over the years. However, it had a horn midrange, the "honkiness" of midrange horns eventually came to bother me as not natural, especially for acoustic and solo vocal music.

In the mid 1970's I bought a pair of big custom JBL speakers with the S8 3-way drivers (LE-15A woofer, 375 horn midrange, 075 ring-radiator tweeter) driven by a McIntosh 1900 receiver (55 "real" WPC). The system fantastic for rock, but the midrange "honkiness" again came to bother me with classical, jazz and folk/vocal music. Financial failure in my first attempt to become a salesman (solar heating) led me to downsize, sell the speakers to a friend. I bought a much smaller pair of Design Acoustics D6 speakers when I moved from San Francisco to the Los Angeles area for my first real sales job in aerospace.

The third attempt with horn midrange (and this time, horn tweeters) - came over 20 years later when I bought a used pair of 99dB sensitive Klipsch Forte II's. I used a Mick Maloney (Australia) custom Supratek 6SN7 preamp and an Attilio Caccamo (Italy) Tektron 2A3 single-ended amp. I really liked that system, but in 2005, I lost my retirement investments in the stock market, also the shared rental of the house with the big living room, so I sold everything when I moved to a smallish apartment in town.

About those Heil AMT's and Apogee ribbons...I was taken in by the magazine hype and an audition at a local Bay Area dealer in the early 1970's, and bought a pair of the original ESS Heil AMT1's. They were good, with the "ease" and clear treble without exaggerated sibilance that I liked great for jazz, folk and classical in the sweet spot. But the AMT1's had two weaknesses - HF beaming and poor bass for loud rock. I "upgraded" to the bigger ESS AMT1-T towers with the transmission line cabinet, and liked them much better. After a divorce, my ex-wife kept them and enjoyed them for many more years. But they did have a limited sweet spot for the treble.

I bought the Apogee Centaurus ribbon monitors used in about 1997 or 98, and didn't sell them until I moved to Panama in 2012. I used them in my office system for the 1+ years when I had the Forte II's in the living room. I used a Bryston B60 to drive them, and my sources were a Yamaha TX-950 tuner and a Denon DVD-1800BD for playing CD's player. That was one of my favorite systems of all, and the limited vertical dispersion of the 4" ribbons no longer bothered me.

The last of the original five patents on the "air motion transformers" expired 9 years ago, and a number of companies around the world have developed their own variants of the technology. According to Wikipedia:

There are a several companies producing Heil AMTs:, GoldenEar (USA), GoldenEar Technologies (USA) under the name High-Velocity Folded Ribbon Tweeter, Dayton Audio (USA), EmotivaPro (USA) under the name Airmotiv, MartinLogan (USA) under the name Folded Motion Tweeter,[3] Precide (Switzerland) who calls their version the AVT (Air Velocity Transformer). Precide uses an AMT driver for their top of the line headphones., ELAC (Germany) who calls their version of the transducer JET, ADAM (Germany), under the name Accelerating Ribbon Technology,[4] ETON (Germany), HEDD Audio (Germany), Monkey Banana (Germany), Beyma (Spain), Furuyama Audio Labs – FAL (Japan), SoundTouch (China), The Tetra (Canada) 606 uses the Mundorf (Germany) Air Motion Transformer., RBH Sound (USA).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't mind an old man with lots of time fleshing out the story of why I liked ribbon and air motion transformer speakers, here goes..

So there I was, 16 years old and in addition to listening to music on the radio, as well as from jukeboxes at the off-campus school supply and lunch stores, I had stumbled upon the world of excellent acoustic music in the form of classical and jazz. And that first HiFi system I owned with its big three-way bass reflex speaker design and Jensen drivers played the music on my LP's with a sense of "ease" that I have always loved, and tried to reproduce over the years. However, it had a horn midrange, the "honkiness" of midrange horns eventually came to bother me as not natural, especially for acoustic and solo vocal music.

In the mid 1970's I bought a pair of big custom JBL speakers with the S8 3-way drivers (LE-15A woofer, 375 horn midrange, 075 ring-radiator tweeter) driven by a McIntosh 1900 receiver (55 "real" WPC). The system fantastic for rock, but the midrange "honkiness" again came to bother me with classical, jazz and folk/vocal music. Financial failure in my first attempt to become a salesman (solar heating) led me to downsize, sell the speakers to a friend. I bought a much smaller pair of Design Acoustics D6 speakers when I moved from San Francisco to the Los Angeles area for my first real sales job in aerospace.

The third attempt with horn midrange (and this time, horn tweeters) - came over 20 years later when I bought a used pair of 99dB sensitive Klipsch Forte II's. I used a Mick Maloney (Australia) custom Supratek 6SN7 preamp and an Attilio Caccamo (Italy) Tektron 2A3 single-ended amp. I really liked that system, but in 2005, I lost my retirement investments in the stock market, also the shared rental of the house with the big living room, so I sold everything when I moved to a smallish apartment in town.

About those Heil AMT's and Apogee ribbons...I was taken in by the magazine hype and an audition at a local Bay Area dealer in the early 1970's, and bought a pair of the original ESS Heil AMT1's. They were good, with the "ease" and clear treble without exaggerated sibilance that I liked great for jazz, folk and classical in the sweet spot. But the AMT1's had two weaknesses - HF beaming and poor bass for loud rock. I "upgraded" to the bigger ESS AMT1-T towers with the transmission line cabinet, and liked them much better. After a divorce, my ex-wife kept them and enjoyed them for many more years. But they did have a limited sweet spot for the treble.

I bought the Apogee Centaurus ribbon monitors used in about 1997 or 98, and didn't sell them until I moved to Panama in 2012. I used them in my office system for the 1+ years when I had the Forte II's in the living room. I used a Bryston B60 to drive them, and my sources were a Yamaha TX-950 tuner and a Denon DVD-1800BD for playing CD's player. That was one of my favorite systems of all, and the limited vertical dispersion of the 4" ribbons no longer bothered me.

The last of the original five patents on the "air motion transformers" expired 9 years ago, and a number of companies around the world have developed their own variants of the technology. According to Wikipedia:

Great read - thanks :)

I've only heard one pair of speakers that used the original Heil AMT-1 design. They sounded clean and clear to my ears, but ofc how a given driver sounds in a speaker always comes down more to the speaker design. Have always been fascinated by the mechanics of AMT drivers though.

Does anyone know of any measurements of the AMT-1 online? It makes sense that they would be very beamy.

EDIT: found some measurements with google pretty quickly. Not exactly smooth, but not terrible either.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's lots of old men here, and lots of long stories, we love them. Referring back to your first post, we have similar back stories. I had a reasonably large home up north in Chicago with lots of room for toys with many that have come and gone over the years. Now retired and living in a small FL modular home of 700 sq ft my little listening area around 10x16 ft is jam packed with my surround gear. Good thing I'm single, no woman would allow the results. LOL Take a look at my sardine can of 5.2.4 rig.
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sals-system.614/
Welcome to the ASR equipment forums!

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered angling those speakers downward towards your ears?

They are angled down about 15 degrees and toed in about the same. Everything with the speakers will be changing a bit soon though, stay tuned....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Upgraded the surrounds and rears... The wire mess behind the fronts is not really visible without the flash.

Left side toward the front:
IMG_5311_small.jpg

Facing the back wall:
IMG_5313_small.jpg

Front head-on, not sure how I managed to tilt the camera but oh well...
IMG_5315_small.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Upgraded the surrounds and rears... The wire mess behind the fronts is not really visible without the flash.
So now you've Salon's all around? Very impressive, I'd love to get a listen to your rig. If I should ever get back up in the frigid northwest I'll be contacting you for a invite. :p Congrats on a awesome HiFi!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Left side toward the front:
View attachment 15721

Facing the back wall:
View attachment 15722

Front head-on, not sure how I managed to tilt the camera but oh well...
View attachment 15723

My wife / interior decorator would never tolerate so many boxen, unless I had a basement and it was all hidden there.

My big listening room is my living room, which has design rules....but my office / studio is mine to make as man cavey as I like.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My wife / interior decorator would never tolerate so many boxen, unless I had a basement and it was all hidden there.

My big listening room is my living room, which has design rules....but my office / studio is mine to make as man cavey as I like.
Stand up to her, put your foot down. Play/sing her a few cuts of B B King', Payin The Cost To Be The Boss.! :D

"Paying The Cost To Be The Boss"

You act like you don't want to listen
When I'm talking to you
You think you outta do baby
Anything you wanna do
You must be crazy baby
You just gotta be outta your mind
As long as I'm payin' the bills woman
I'm payin' the cost to be the boss

I'll drink if I want to
And play a little poker too
Don't you say nothing to me
As long as I'm taking care of you
As long as I'm workin baby
And payin' all the bills
I don't want no mouth from you
About the way I'm supposed to live
You must be crazy woman
Just gotta be outta your mind
As long as I foot the bills

Now that you got me
You act like you ashamed
You don't act like my woman
You just usin' my name
I tell you I'm gonna have all the money
And I don't want no back-talk
Cause if you don't like the way I'm doin'
Just pick up your things and walk
You gotta be crazy baby
You must be outta your mind
As long as I'm payin' the bills woman

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

This is the basement media room and it's all mine. :) She has the family room upstairs with a pair of F206's, C205, and Rythmik F12 but rarely uses them. No need to get news and shopping shows in full-fledged surround sound. ;) We watch a movie up there now and then when the boys are home, but even then most of the time the boys and I retreat to the media room. She is very tolerant of my audio hobby -- I was deeply involved when we started dating decades ago, and as another musician (piano/organ) she appreciates listening to music on it as well.

As for @Sal1950 's advice, well, I can't cook, let alone afford the medical bills and/or divorce after trying that with my country gal. :D

Old Listener

The gallery in the link below shows the previous main system and my current main system. It also shows the near field system in our home office.
The NAS where our music files are stored is not shown.

current main system: 5th Gen. Atom class Intel NUC with JRiver Media Center for music playback. An Audioengine D3 DAC outputs analog audio to Dynaudio LYD48 monitors. The JRiver software applies several filters to the audio signal to compensate for low frequency peaks and dips. I use a 10" Android tablet to control the JRiver software on the NUC.

Home office: personal 6th gen. Intel i5 NUC running JRiver software. An Audioquest Dragonfly Red sends analog audio to Audioengine HDP6 speakers. The JRiver software applies a filter to correct a low frequency dip.

Very few boxes and very few cables.

Gallery with main system and home office system photos

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The gallery in the link below shows the previous main system and my current main system. It also shows the near field system in our home office.
The NAS where our music files are stored is not shown.

current main system: 5th Gen. Atom class Intel NUC with JRiver Media Center for music playback. An Audioengine D3 DAC outputs analog audio to Dynaudio LYD48 monitors. The JRiver software applies several filters to the audio signal to compensate for low frequency peaks and dips. I use a 10" Android tablet to control the JRiver software on the NUC.

Home office: personal 6th gen. Intel i5 NUC running JRiver software. An Audioquest Dragonfly Red sends analog audio to Audioengine HDP6 speakers. The JRiver software applies a filter to correct a low frequency dip.

Very few boxes and very few cables.

Gallery with main system and home office system photos
How do you rate the Lyd48?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Clean setup! I keep trying to clean up the mess behind my console, but it seems like every time I tidy up and tie up the cables, something happens and I have to undo it again...

Old Listener

How do you rate the Lyd48?

They are keepers for me.

I am very happy with the LYD48s. Bass is about as good as the Waveforms (very, very good). The LYD48s have lots of lovely, clean detail. Highs are clean too.

The LYD48s cost $ 2300 for the pair. I feel no need to spend more for speakers after using the LYD48s.

Of course, a measurement mic and measurement s/w is a very important accessory. ~ $ 100 well spent.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They are keepers for me.

I am very happy with the LYD48s. Bass is about as good as the Waveforms (very, very good). The LYD48s have lots of lovely, clean detail. Highs are clean too.

The LYD48s cost $ 2300 for the pair. I feel no need to spend more for speakers after using the LYD48s.

Of course, a measurement mic and measurement s/w is a very important accessory. ~ $ 100 well spent.

If I could find a Roon Ready XLR-out preamp with built in DSP phono stage, remote control, and headphone jack, I'd sell my Devialet and Contour 20s and go with that plus some LYD 48s.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They are keepers for me.

How big is the room they're in and how close are you sitting?

Old Listener

How big is the room they're in and how close are you sitting?

~21 by 15 by 9. Listening positions are about 9 feet from the speakers. The speakers are along the long wall about 1 foot from the wall behind them. They are ~ 5 1/2 feet from the side walls.

I used the near wall setting to tame boominess from the placement near the wall. I used parametric filters to even out dips. One of these days, I'll move the speakers out from the back wall an additional 6" to a foot and rely completely on parametric filters in JRiver. No hurry.

The Dynaudio web site has some useful documents. The data sheet for the LYD48 has various frequency response plots including horizontal and vertical plots.

The LYD48s consume less than 1/2 watt each in standby so I leave them and the NUC on all the time. When I walk into the room and start listening, I wake up the tablet and select music. Very convenient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom