• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer GM-D1004 4-channel Car Amplifier Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just for fun, but it also a channel that really measures things (power @1% THD and burst) as ASR
Yeh, I have watched a lot of his videos. Hard to keep track of the data though as he runs through them quickly. But his is a fun guy to watch.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad to see some auto amplifiers tested as I'm in the market to get better sound in my car.
I hope you can test the Focal amp FDS 4.350 or others they make.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really like the fact these are 4 channel amps. If they are a bit more powerfull, they're very usefull for the DIY-crowd for active bi-amped two-way speakers.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Just like with Speakers...with more diversity, the wider the audience, and the bigger the donations. ;) I think Amir is doing some fishing... I feel like we’re the little fish he’s caught. :D Lol

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's all related to the text on top the review page..
"Articles, Reviews and Measurements of Audio Products (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)"
I make no money from Amazon if that is your point.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
@amirm I think he was looking at:

1582060978749.png

We know you're not doing the Amazon affiliate system, but consider updating that page (in the photo above) to remove that message, to avoid further misunderstandings by users.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just like with Speakers...with more diversity, the wider the audience, and the bigger the donations. ;) I think Amir is doing some fishing... I feel like we’re the little fish he’s caught. :D Lol
Coming from a guy that worked 9 years in sales and the last 5 years of that on straight 100% commission I can appreciate creating cash flow from where there was nothing before. It's commendable, great for the economy, risk taking and more difficult than many appreciate. More contributors in both the forums and in the cash flow means more of everything in general and that's a good thing for Audio Science Review and it's membership.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Fuses will hold indefinitely at 100% of their rating. At 150% of their rating it might be 3 or 4 minutes, and at 200% it might be 30 seconds. So if it were me, I'd throw a 30A fuse in it and push it to the limit with full sine waves. You may be quite surprised.

All in all, it looks like a ball-snapping bargain for car audio on the cheap.

PS You're gonna need a bigger boat (PSU) :)

View attachment 50695

It will probably last few minutes till the output stage will overheat and probably burn. :)

I found some pics and measurements on http://www.xn--80aeatqv1al.xn--p1ai/az/2015/01/pioneer_amp_gm_d1004.htm:

Labjr

Major Contributor
I know we probably won't see the same S/N distortion figures as something like Hypex Class-D amps but I would like to see a bit better specs. I wonder what can be achieved in a car environment?

bilboaudio

Thanks for the write up. What is the procedure for bridging this please if you only want it to drive two speakers, its not clear in the manual. I currently have it driving four speakers, front and rear, do I need to cut and splice wires to bridge it so it is only powering the front two speakers?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I know we probably won't see the same S/N distortion figures as something like Hypex Class-D amps but I would like to see a bit better specs. I wonder what can be achieved in a car environment?
According to Alpine for the PDX series:
Total Harmonic Distortion Rate (THD) vs. Frequency
The all-new PDX series amplifiers are not your typical class-D amplifiers. Traditionally, class-D amplifiers have not been known for high frequency reproduction. These new PDX amplifiers are the first ever class-D amplifiers to break tradition and trump the amps of yesterday. The PDX-M12, PDX-M6, PDX-F6, and PDX-F4 are synonymous with extremely high frequency reproduction. The THD is actually falling at high frequencies, resulting in a clean and clear signal where your ear is most sensitive to distortions. -<0.005% THD+N @ 1W, <0.05% THD+N @ rated power.

Signal to Noise
These amps are capable of unheard of S/N ratio up to 95dB S/N @ 1W, 122dB S/N at rated power for extremely clean, uncolored sound. Forget unwanted background noise or static. The PDX amps deliver crystal clear music every time.
Also ETON amps have good specs like this one:https://mobil.hifitest.de/test/car-hifi_endstufe_4-kanal/eton-mini_1504_17013

Last edited:
Top Bottom