• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer GM-D1004 gets really hot

Boomer

Can I connect the remote wire from the amplifier to the radio power wire and use a toggle switch to turn on and off the amplifier? By doing this, will this cause the amplifier to get really hot?

Sorry for the long post….

I have a small Pioneer GM-D1004 4 channel amplifier that gets really hot almost to the point it could burn your hands if you hold it long enough. The amp has a max of 400 watts and 45 watts RMS per channel. The speakers I am using has a rating of 60 RMS watts.

I currently have 2 speakers (using 2 channels) of this 4 channel amp. Each speaker has its own channel.

I’ve used this amp in my truck behind the radio in the past then sold the truck and haven’t used it in a year. The power and ground was connected to my stock radio power and ground wires and I connected the remote wire to the fuse box under the dash by using a fuse tap.

Now I am trying to use this amp in a camper. The radio/receiver in the camper has a 15amp fuse and the amp has a 15amp fuse on it I connected the power and ground to the radio power and ground wires. I also connected the remote wire to the power wire and added a toggle switch so the amp is not always on. The amp is sitting behind the radio.
By connecting the remote wire to the power wire cause the amp to get really hot? Does it makes a difference that I have only connected 2 speakers and the amp has extra energy and since I’m not using the other 2 channels is causing the excessive heat/Hot? I wouldn't think so.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.png
    2.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 71

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the head unit draws 15A and the amp draws 15A then there is a definite shortage of current if they both operate from the same 15A circuit. Having said that the head unit if not powering speakers will draw less but still you should get a dedicated positive (+) power circuit for that amplifier. It will depend on the voltage being high so make sure you use a proper sized power wire for positive voltage at the amp. Not sure what you want to do with the ground but it's 15A so chassis might suffice if done well. The Pioneer manual states, "Black (chassis ground) Connect to a clean, paint-free metal location."

The power and ground was connected to my stock radio power and ground wires and I connected the remote wire to the fuse box under the dash by using a fuse tap.
The fast and easy method.
By connecting the remote wire to the power wire cause the amp to get really hot?
No this will not create heat nor additional heat.
Does it makes a difference that I have only connected 2 speakers and the amp has extra energy and since I’m not using the other 2 channels is causing the excessive heat/Hot?
No, this will not make much of a difference. The amp has a lot of power. How loud of a level are you listening at? How hot is hot? 85C is probably the shutoff temp and at that kind of temp you smell dust, you smell heat and feeling the amp results in pain within moments.

OP
B

Boomer

If the head unit draws 15A and the amp draws 15A then there is a definite shortage of current if they both operate from the same 15A circuit. Having said that the head unit if not powering speakers will draw less but still you should get a dedicated positive (+) power circuit for that amplifier. It will depend on the voltage being high so make sure you use a proper sized power wire for positive voltage at the amp. Not sure what you want to do with the ground but it's 15A so chassis might suffice if done well. The Pioneer manual states, "Black (chassis ground) Connect to a clean, paint-free metal location."

The fast and easy method.

No this will not create heat nor additional heat.

No, this will not make much of a difference. The amp has a lot of power. How loud of a level are you listening at? How hot is hot? 85C is probably the shutoff temp and at that kind of temp you smell dust, you smell heat and feeling the amp results in pain within moments.

I think I should probably use a 110V AC to 12V DC power converter to power the amp. I would make sure the power converter amperage is enough to cover the amperage requirements. Do you think this could work? I’m not going to play the radio really loud ….just need more than what the stock radio can give.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I should probably use a 110V AC to 12V DC power converter to power the amp.
That adds more inefficient electronics into the power consumption drain as compared to operating the amp from a battery. But if the AC supply is suitable for whatever reason then use it that way.

Top Bottom