• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

CJG

Is the og A90 as clear and detailed as a A90D?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I don't have an A90 to match the volumes and perform an AB or ABX test, but I doubt there will be any audible differences between the too.
P.S.: Your signature is bigger that the actual post; might worth adding all the devices inline, perhaps separated by a comma. Thank you!

CJG

Just got a used (absolutely mint) og Topping A90 in today. I just prefer the sound that is coming from the og A90 vs the A90D. I find the A90D to have a touch too much sub bass for my liking. My only gripe on the og A90 is that slight hiss (at higher volumes) when using an RCA source.
(Edit) I just swapped out my DAC with a USB Cable equipped w/Ferrite and the hiss on the RCA input completely disappeared! :):)
IMG_20240403_211731202.jpg

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the og A90 as clear and detailed as a A90D?
I have both, and like the original better. The channel matching is .1db or less so it's not an issue. They're very close in terms of sound, but the dot matrix display, remote which I never need, and controls via jog wheel is mainly why I like the original. Simple, just pop a Topping D10b on top of the original A90 and you're end game without MQA, bluetooth, remote controls, or needing to read a manual. I also have an A70Pro and with the menus at least it's more straightforward to navigate than the A90D. Sit the A70Pro on top of a 5 volt DAC like the SMSL DL200 and you'll never upgrade again... I put a D70Pro Octo stack together, but it makes little difference, both have the same size form factor, so it fits.

CJG

I have both, and like the original better. The channel matching is .1db or less so it's not an issue. They're very close in terms of sound, but the dot matrix display, remote which I never need, and controls via jog wheel is mainly why I like the original. Simple, just pop a Topping D10b on top of the original A90 and you're end game without MQA, bluetooth, remote controls, or needing to read a manual. I also have an A70Pro and with the menus at least it's more straightforward to navigate than the A90D. Sit the A70Pro on top of a 5 volt DAC like the SMSL DL200 and you'll never upgrade again... I put a D70Pro Octo stack together, but it makes little difference, both have the same size form factor, so it fits.
I'm with you on that. I own the A70, A90 and A90D, of all three of them I much prefer the Original A90, not only for the simplicity of the controls, the good quality toggle switches, but the overall sound signature, it's sparkly, energetic, crystal clear in sound reproduction, and other Toppings I find to be too boomy in the bass and I feel like they are not quite as detailed as the OG A90. I'm feeding it with an SMSL SU-10 and it's my daily driver/reference!

Blorg

other Toppings I find to be too boomy in the bass
I suspect this may be related to your noise/ground issues you mentioned with the USB cable, as they are all totally flat, there is no bass emphasis. You might be getting some added AC hum (60 Hz) due to some cabling issue on the others.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm with you on that. I own the A70, A90 and A90D, of all three of them I much prefer the Original A90, not only for the simplicity of the controls, the good quality toggle switches, but the overall sound signature, it's sparkly, energetic, crystal clear in sound reproduction, and other Toppings I find to be too boomy in the bass and I feel like they are not quite as detailed as the OG A90. I'm feeding it with an SMSL SU-10 and it's my daily driver/reference!
Yep, I've been listening to an SMSL DO400 all week, and just pulled out a Topping D10b and original A90 to compare again. As soon as Bruce Hornsby came on I remember why I like the original A90 so much. Going to keep this stack for a daily driver for a while. No remotes, MQA, bluetooth antenna, or anything else to fuss with. They got the A90 right the first time, but the A70Pro is amazing too if you want the high tech approach and it can handle a 5 volt DAC better. Piano, acoustic instruments, and vocals really stand out on the original A90, forgot how nice it sounds.

IXOYE

I doubt that the Topping A90 is a superb amplifier, but in my opinion it is too analytical for better or worse, I myself prefer an amplifier that has a warmer sound, like an OTL amp or Violectric if you prefer Solid States.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I doubt that the Topping A90 is a superb amplifier, but in my opinion it is too analytical for better or worse,

“I do not like the Topping A90, because for me it is too linear and neutral.”

There, I fixed it so that it is correct and nobody here will complain.

I myself prefer an amplifier that has a warmer sound, like an OTL amp or Violectric if you prefer Solid States.

Top Bottom