• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
I want to tell you an interesting story.
3 mixing engineers(10+ years of mixing), two LCD-X(2021 edition) headphones and Apogee Duet2.

3 amplifiers for AB:

Topping A90
Rupert Neve RNHP
SPL Phonitor One

The price range is $500-$600

Rupert Neve RNHP was an obvious winner. Warm, Transparent, very comfortable for mixing. Coloration is OK for work.

SPL Phonitor was so so. But the biggest disappointment is Topping A90. It has the best measurement on paper( according to audiosciencereview ).
The sound was disliked by everybody. Muddy bass, strange mids and highs, and very annoying dark coloration. It was clearly heared on LCD-X.

So, I do not believe in measurements after this AB testing. I'm selling my topping and getting RNHP. Another friend took RNHP after this test for his LCD-X.

I've also checked topping as a volume control for Amphion One15. This dark coloration just ruins all music on amphions. Everything sounds live "dark velvet" with the lost of details.
What makes this most suspicious to me is that the RNHP is also a similar Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 headamp design. There's really no reason it will sound that drastically different...

Devian

What makes this most suspicious to me is that the RNHP is also a similar Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 headamp design. There's really no reason it will sound that drastically different...
Different like heaven and hell in every aspect. It's just a listening experience.

I've tried to predict the sound of some equipment discovering it's schematics. Different audio interfaces has a very different character but use the same model of ESS chip(RME, Motu, Apogee and etc).

Some enthusiast are trying to make a good DAC. They take a top DAC, top operational amplifier chips. But they cannot get close to the Prism Sound.
There are something more in the branded design. It's not about the circuit design and components. They definitely tweak it in their own way.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've tried to predict the sound of some equipment discovering it's schematics. Different audio interfaces has a very different character but use the same model of ESS chip(RME, Motu, Apogee and etc).
Okay but have you heard about the expectation bias... if someone placed that RME/Apogee and a Topping next to each other and switched both outputs I'd be amazed really, if you still hear those great differences coming from the correct device.

Blorg

Could you show me the headphones with flat frequency response?
So, do you want to tell me that LCD-X are not suitable to AB the amps or DACs? Thats funny.
HD600 is often cited as an archetypical neutral reference. You can see that the overall frequency response here is flat rather than downsloping like with the LCD-X. HD600 vs LCD-X:

1664722790182.png
index.php

I'm not saying the LCD-X is a bad headphone, in fact it would probably be the one Audeze I'd pick and I suspect after EQ it's quite a good headphone. But your description of it as "dark", with "strange mids and highs" is there in the FR of the headphone, it is very much a dark downsloping frequency response and has extremely recessed upper mids. This isn't coming from the amp. I have the A90, plug a neutral or bright headphone into it and it won't sound dark. Apart from the neutral HD600, I have the Hifiman Arya and the Sennheiser HD800S which might be described as bright neutral, these certainly do not sound dark on the A90.

The LCD-X though is dark, by any reasonable measure, so it seems strange that you are complaining that a perfectly flat neutral amp is making them sound dark. Maybe that's because they ARE dark?

Devian

The LCD-X though is dark, by any reasonable measure, so it seems strange that you are complaining that a perfectly flat neutral amp is making them sound dark. Maybe that's because they ARE dark?

There is one more detail. I've tried to use A90 as a volume control for the Amphions One15 + amp100($3K bookshelf setup). Running the pre-amp mode.
It ruins all the sound with it's dark color. It's just unacceptable. Every track begin to sound as a black velvet.

I've took Mackie Big Knob Passive for the comparison. It works much better.

Something is wrong with this device. Sorry.

Devian

Okay but have you heard about the expectation bias... if someone placed that RME/Apogee and a Topping next to each other and switched both outputs I'd be amazed really, if you still hear those great differences coming from the correct device.
I've tested topping with Apogee Duet2, Motu1248, Focusrite Clarett 4pre and RME UCX. It's coloration is heard on every sound interface. There was no happy match.
Main outputs were used on every interface with the same sommer cable carbocab 225.

Veri

Master Contributor
There is one more detail. I've tried to use A90 as a volume control for the Amphions One15 + amp100($3K bookshelf setup). Running the pre-amp mode.
It ruins all the sound with it's dark color. It's just unacceptable. Every track begin to sound as a black velvet.

I've took Mackie Big Knob Passive for the comparison. It works much better.

Something is wrong with this device. Sorry.
I've tested topping with Apogee Duet2, Motu1248, Focusrite Clarett 4pre and RME UCX. It's coloration is heard on every sound interface. There was no happy match.
Main outputs were used on every interface with the same sommer cable carbocab 225.
Well perhaps something is wrong with your A90. I mean the Pre90 which is based on the same architecture is used by people with 'good' ears without any of these problems you mention.

Devian

Well perhaps something is wrong with your A90. I mean the Pre90 which is based on the same architecture is used by people with 'good' ears without any of these problems you mention.
I really doubt about this ears. I work as a mixing engineer for 10+ years and put a lot of attention to the sound. Maybe my unit is bad. But this story with bad unit sends me to the total reject of the brand. Still sorry.

I'm selling topping and there is not so much to talk about it. Just wanted to enrich this thread with my oppinion. Selling A90 and ordered the Rupert Neve RNHP.

Last edited:

Devian

Just received my rupert neve rnhp. After one evening on comparisons topping goes to the trash bin. Total bullshit. They tried, but they can't....

Phoney

Just received my rupert neve rnhp. After one evening on comparisons topping goes to the trash bin. Total bullshit. They tried, but they can't....

Rupert neve rnhp couldn't even drive Arya v2 properly when I had it..

d0j1n

I just bought a Topping A90 used and so far I am very happy with it. Only problem is that the toggle switch on the front left side makes a creaking sound when using it. This makes me wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to get a spare part and how hard it is to replace the toggle switch. It is a pitty that something which is supposed to feel nice while using it feels quite the opposite. Thanks in advance!

Arnas

I just bought a Topping A90 used and so far I am very happy with it. Only problem is that the toggle switch on the front left side makes a creaking sound when using it. This makes me wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to get a spare part and how hard it is to replace the toggle switch. It is a pitty that something which is supposed to feel nice while using it feels quite the opposite. Thanks in advance!
Thats why i love design of new a90... Not much breaking points, Very clean design.
Should last for a very long time if internal parts are alright.

nug

Does anyone have any suggestions or a guide on how to remove the circuit board from the case?
My A90 is out of warranty and the left channel dies intermittently. I'm hoping I can figure out the issue but don't want to break it trying to force it out of the case. Thank you!

SpinifexV

Well, my 2020 Topping A90 just developed problems. I left it on, without sound, while putting my young one to sleep and when I came back, the left channel was dead. The headphone (a Focal Elex)'s left cup was very warm and when I moved the cable in and out of the A90 socket, there was a loud thump on the left channel. I switched to my backup Atom Amp and, luckily, the headphone is fine. I found at least a couple of other owners having troubles on the left channel (with the previous poster included).

For reference, it was PC -> USB -> SMSL SU-8S -> XLR -> A90 -> 1/4 inch TRS to headphone

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got another A90 last week and going to keep it for a permanent system. The Sabaj A20D DAC works great with it ($169 on Amazon and outputs 5volts) and looks nice sitting next to it too. I tried the A90SE and couldn't notice any difference between them at all. The new flash of 1.88 on the 90SE added 2 tube effects to the menu, but it's still not worth it compared to the A20D on filter 6 like recommended in the review here. The HE-560 sounded great, but the bar headband was a dealbreaker after an hour. The HE5xx is my daily driver and in low gain at 12 oclock it's plenty loud which is ridiculous. Going to be living life in low gain until the another HE6SE comes in Thursday, and another D90SE coming Wednesday.
I was so happy with the SMSL SP200 until I heard the H0200, and now after using the A90 for a week I'm nearing the bottom of the rabbit hole. It's really hard to go back to other amplifiers after hearing this. If my gaming pals could hear this in FPS shooters they would lose their minds and swear off fake surround sound forever :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Just got another A90 last week and going to keep it for a permanent system. The Sabaj A20D DAC works great with it ($169 on Amazon and outputs 5volts) and looks nice sitting next to it too. I tried the A90SE and couldn't notice any difference between them at all.
Not surprised.. :)

okok

reputation of original a90 is becoming worse and worse, why's that, used to be very hyped...

okok

I got a chance to get one, and listen in my system, I think this comment is fairly fair, it measures good, but the sounding is just... one of worst i've experienced.

I can understand why this buddy getting so angry

baccus

i stopped using my a90 since a year. my pc mainboard, smartphone or low-mid budget audio interface are better sounding than the topping.
my biggest problem with the a90 is it sounds different on every setting (low/medium/high gain and rca/xlr input) low+rca is the best, everything else is like
a really weird eq.

Top Bottom