• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Because you have no evidence that you are hearing actual differences in the audio rather than perceptual changes due to bias.

No evidence = unfounded.
Well no one can provide me with a sceintific proof that it's impossible to hear the difference

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm still waiting for the scientific proof that it's humanly impossible to hear the difference between the formats

This is a strawman argument. No one has claimed that.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still waiting for the scientific proof that it's humanly impossible to hear the difference between the formats
And I'm still waiting for the scientific proof that Russells teapot is not out there somewhere even though I know it is.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Bottom line is I can hear a difference but can't prove it, other don't hear the difference but can't prove that it's impossible
Let's just leave it at that

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
People are saying to me it's impossible

No one is saying that it is impossible. Science is about probabilities not proofs. What we are saying is that it is extremely unlikely that there are 'big' (using any commonly accepted meaning of the word) differences between lossless and 320k compressed formats on your specific gear when it has been widely demonstrated that trained listeners have difficulty hearing any difference even when attentive to specific compression artifacts under rigorously controlled conditions.

Yes, it is theoretically 'possible' that you are the one golden-eared boy wonder on the planet that can easily hear these differences but it is far more likely that either you are imagining it, you are lying, or there is something else going on that would account for the difference.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, as the saying goes ...

gvl

Major Contributor
I don't think it's scientifically proven no human can tell the difference between 320K and lossless
In that case yeah I'd be imagining things
No, but it’s scientifically proven that all humans can’t tell such difference on a tablet. Your stating the opposite hints at your confusion unless it was a hyperbole.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If there's no difference at all
1. Why does lossless even exist ?
2. Why do Tidal and Qobuz exist ?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I really wanted Spotify to do this. But I'm not going to pay them significantly more money than I do now for the higher res. To be competitive, this should be a null cost or a minimal upcharge. Because of my wife, we use the Spotify dual user tier, so we can each have our own music and playlists. Otherwise, I'd use Qobuz.

They waited too long and missed the boat, I think.

Now that I have tinnitus, I am less worried about fine gradations in sound quality. Their regular 320 bandwidth sounds just fine with my equipment.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because of my wife, we use the Spotify dual user tier, so we can each have our own music and playlists. Otherwise, I'd use Qobuz.
Qobuz has a shared account for two called Duo. One extra person is half price and must reside in the same location.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
There's nothing to be excited about because apparently no one can hear the difference between MP3 and lossless;)

There are still no one here who has claimed that. It would be a more constructive discussion if you refrained from strawmen. And I don't quite understand why you are surprised that a subjective experience is taken as just that (as opposed to proof of anything) on this forum?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
There are still no one here who has claimed that. It would be a more constructive discussion if you refrained from strawmen. And I don't quite understand why you are surprised that a subjective experience is taken as just that (as opposed to proof of anything) on this forum?
All I was saying was that I hear a difference , that's it, I really don't understand everything that came after that, anyways like I said let's agree to dissagree

Monster

I got mine last Fall, the silver lining it cures you from audiophile worries :)

Just play the music louder to drown it out.:)

I've had my tinnitus for quite a few years now. It actually got me back into listening to music because I got bored with listening to the tinnitus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom