• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Gwreck

He has thought of that. From his FAQ: "Because our manufacturing process begins shortly after an order is made, we charge a 15% cancellation fee to process refunds."

That's even before they ship the speaker to you! I can't find anything on people's ability return a speaker.
They also say in the FAQ’s
“Our current business model is strictly direct-to-consumer. While we do attend some audio shows that can provide a chance to hear our speakers in person, we firmly believe that the best way to listen is in your own space. We offer a 60-day risk-free trial so you can return the speakers if you are dissatisfied for any reason.”

Seems they contradict themselves.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
When he posted his response videos he communicated these things. Body language was the part that was missing from his emails and is essential to reading intent in emotional communication. In this case it comes through loud and clear that he meant everything he said in the emails and his body language confirmed, at least for me, that this person was complicit and had intent at that time, if not all along.

Good point. I merely skimmed the videos from Tekton, I found them pathologically dishonest and lost interest in what they had to say. While I concluded the litigation language was bluff based on the material in these two ASR threads, I understand people directly involved being prudently risk-averse and acting on the legal implications. Watching Erin's last video, it appears that emailed threats to him were also more explicit. I still read them as narcissistic ploys to engage/enmesh so would respond differently, but Erin was already engaged, unfortunately and through no fault of his own. A difficult and unpleasant experience.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

nvidia_7

He has thought of that. From his FAQ: "Because our manufacturing process begins shortly after an order is made, we charge a 15% cancellation fee to process refunds."

That's even before they ship the speaker to you! I can't find anything on people's ability return a speaker.
Oh....so Eric's claimed $6,000 in lost sales from canceled orders netted him $900 for doing...nothing. Interesting. :D

nvidia_7

I've been curious about the internal build quality of this brand of speakers.

I found this picture someone posted of the "crossover" for the Tekton Double Impact bass drivers...

View attachment 363382

posted here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-tekton-tweeter-array-schematic.336743/page-4
Oh my, this has become an episode of the twilight zone. I read the post that image came from, yep, they opened their Tekton speakers and that is what awaited them. Hot glue to a 1/8" piece of MDF and what looks like no solder.

Should also note these speakers are being sold now on his website for $3000 a pair.

Selkirks

Who ya gonna call?

GR.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I bet @Eric Alexander now wishes he would have handled this differently and had probably hoped it would not go down the way he had envisioned it would (just reviews being taken down including comments).
His absurd (but from his point kind of understandable for) reaction which may have 'worked' in the past backfired more than he assumed would happen.

This whole ordeal did more damage to his reputation and brand then when he hadn't gone after the jugular and handled it better (i.e. not framing either reviewers as incompetent people not knowing enough about measurements).
Big mistake...

Now .... hundreds of posts he cannot delete or make 'go away', not even using court of law, that DO put him in a 'bad light' even more so than when he would just had taken the comments as they were.
Will Eric have learned ? probably not given his 'character'.

I hope more Tekton speakers are reviewed 'unsolicited' and hope for Eric that some measure and sound good. When no more Tektons are reviewed in the future he still would have gotten what he wanted... but understand the situation independent reviewers will likely have to endure.

Last edited:

david moran

It remains interesting that all of these detailed analyses of directivity mismatching and everything else problematic overlook first principles' principle 1:

Does the design encourage staggered distances of the driver covering the lower midrange (say, from a half-octave middle C to an octave below) from the floor, front wall, and side wall?

When not, you get a notch below middle C. A power suckout. Entirely audible, and something no one would permit in any other component. Unfixable except with EQ (gasp).

It appears that this design is another one of those which do not encourage such placement from customers, to the contrary, the design encourages placement such that the driver is often close to equidistant, or at least at similar distances, from the three near boundaries.

It's never too surprising that speaker designers (worldwide) do not understand this well-understood physical phenomenon even after >50 years. But can it really be the case that ASR does not?

I would be glad to explain, give cites, show examples and measurements, explore the physics, whatever would be helpful. Now that Roy Allison is long dead, someone should. And no, it is not to be understood as 'floor bounce'. Gravity never has anything to do with it.

Bryguy

It remains interesting that all of these detailed analyses of directivity mismatching and everything else problematic overlook first principles' principle 1:

Does the design encourage staggered distances of the driver covering the lower midrange (say, from a half-octave middle C to an octave below) from the floor, front wall, and side wall?

When not, you get a notch below middle C. A power suckout. Entirely audible, and something no one would permit in any other component. Unfixable except with EQ (gasp).

It appears that this design is another one of those which do not encourage such placement from customers, to the contrary, the design encourages placement such that the driver is often close to equidistant, or at least at similar distances, from the three near boundaries.

It's never too surprising that speaker designers (worldwide) do not understand this well-understood physical phenomenon even after >50 years. But can it really be the case that ASR does not?

I would be glad to explain, give cites, show examples and measurements, explore the physics, whatever would be helpful. Now that Roy Allison is long dead, someone should. And no, it is not to be understood as 'floor bounce'. Gravity never has anything to do with it.
Would be a good question for Eric. I wonder if there is a manual for the M-Lores that goes into ideal speaker placement?

ampguy

Would be a good question for Eric. I wonder if there is a manual for the M-Lores that goes into ideal speaker placement?
I have my original manual for my m lores. It mentions equidistant triangle from where you are listening, toed in slightly. There’s no mention of distances from walls, or height placement. It cracked me up that Amir raised his up so the tweeters which are under the woofer were at ear level, meaning the woofer was then like 8” above ear level. But whatever, these are budget speakers. They may retail for $750 but just a few years ago, I paid a couple hundred less, including grills. I’m curious what bookshelf’s Amir would recommend over these at that price range?

caught gesture

Forum Donor
It cracked me up that Amir raised his up so the tweeters which are under the woofer were at ear level, meaning the woofer was then like 8” above ear level.
Did you even read the review? This has been addressed in the measurements.

Bryguy

It turned out to make essentially no difference from that listening distance, but it was still kind of a fumble on Amir's part to get the listening axis wrong in his original review. In the case of this speaker it turned out not to really make any difference, but there are speakers out there where that same mistake would have made a major difference. Anyways, ampguy just said it cracked him up, not that amir's mistake invalidated the entire review, like Mr. Alexander seemed to think.

Last edited:

ampguy

Yes, I read it. I did not mean to mock Amir’s methodology, or give any opinion on the back and forth on optimal place to measure, just the visual of hoisting these relatively heavy boxes up, with the already unusual design of tweeter under woofer just made me smile.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It turned out to make essentially no difference from that listening distance, but it was still kind of a fumble on Amir's part to get the listening axis wrong in his original review. In the case of this speaker it turned out not to really make any difference, but there are speakers out there where that same mistake would have made a major difference. I feel like that's the sort of basic due diligence a reviewer should probably do. No disrespect meant
"Basic due diligence" would be the manufacturer providing information on how the speaker needs to be set up, e.g. listening axis and plugging cabinet holes by installing feet...

Bryguy

"Basic due diligence" would be the manufacturer providing information on how the speaker needs to be set up, e.g. listening axis and plugging holes by installing feet...
Sorry, I edited my comment just as you replied. I didn't think anyone had seen it at that point. Not trying to rewrite history ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
"Basic due diligence" would be the manufacturer providing information on how the speaker needs to be set up, e.g. listening axis and plugging cabinet holes by installing feet...
Very few manufacturers provide this in the general specs thought.
It should be up the front,as the quick install guide is at a minimum.

There are major differences specially for people who detest hot 3-8Khz for example and height impact this with some speakers big time.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, I read it. I did not mean to mock Amir’s methodology, or give any opinion on the back and forth on optimal place to measure, just the visual of hoisting these relatively heavy boxes up, with the already unusual design of tweeter under woofer just made me smile.
What hoisting? I put it on a very short (foot or less) stand. There is no manual on company website. And I did not get one with the speaker.

Top Bottom