• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 132 31.4%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Shut off watching interstellar. The launch scene with 2 of 4 sets of speakers I own. I use that BR as a sound check for any new setup. I honestly don't want to debate this over and over. I get everyone is in love with these things. I am too to be honest. I happily recommend their products to others. I am truly disappointed I couldn't get it to work for me. My reason for leaving comments about my experience is not to argue with people over this but to just document my experience. In a hope that wiim and other manufacturers see our complaints on these forums and continue to improve their products. That's all. I will happily fork over money for the wiim amp plus or pro.
OK - if it shuts off when you are throwing high level LFE movie tracks at it - then it just doesn't have enough power for you. (You are running it outside design limits)

That is fine. But again, not hard to understand. I can accept that you don't need to blind test to hear this :p

This is not going to be relevant for most people listening to music at reasonable levels.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Shut off watching interstellar. The launch scene with 2 of 4 sets of speakers I own. I use that BR as a sound check for any new setup. I honestly don't want to debate this over and over. I get everyone is in love with these things. I am too to be honest. I happily recommend their products to others. I am truly disappointed I couldn't get it to work for me. My reason for leaving comments about my experience is not to argue with people over this but to just document my experience. In a hope that wiim and other manufacturers see our complaints on these forums and continue to improve their products. That's all. I will happily fork over money for the wiim amp plus or pro.
Did you try enabling the Sub out in the WiiM App and setting the crossover frequency to where your speakers would naturally roll off anyway?

That may fix your issue. Yes, even if you don't actually use a subwoofer.

elmoe420

Sorry I'm not trying to argue, just seeking to understand the problem. The device turning itself off in the middle of use is clearly an egregious problem. So egregious that it's surprising this is the first report of it here or on the WiiM forums. Not doubting your claim just genuinely surprised.

What did WiiM support say about that issue? The fact that it is reproducible with the same content, multiple speakers and multiple amp units should make this easier to debug.

What's the exact timestamp in Interstellar that triggers the shutdown? It would be good for others to test at that same spot.

Antlestxp

Sorry I'm not trying to argue, just seeking to understand the problem. The device turning itself off in the middle of use is clearly an egregious problem. So egregious that it's surprising this is the first report of it here or on the WiiM forums. Not doubting your claim just genuinely surprised.

What did WiiM support say about that issue? The fact that it is reproducible with the same content, multiple speakers and multiple amp units should make this easier to debug.

What's the exact timestamp in Interstellar that triggers the shutdown? It would be good for others to test at that same spot.
The rocket launch scene is what triggered it. I returned it to Amazon and purchased it again. When I experienced the same with the second I figured it wasn't possible to have 2 defective units so I returned it again. I should have waited to see if there support had any recommendations other than exchanging it. I don't think I have a particularly large space. Other than that scene it seemed to struggle producing bass. That could have just been it's sound profile or a possible limitation in power.

Attachments

• 20240408_104542.jpg
    20240408_104542.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 129

Antlestxp

Did you try enabling the Sub out in the WiiM App and setting the crossover frequency to where your speakers would naturally roll off anyway?

That may fix your issue. Yes, even if you don't actually use a subwoofer.
I don't use a sub in this space. I'm trying to simplify this space hence getting the wiim. I have other rooms that get more toys out of sight. I'm sure that would have solved the problem. The speakers I'm using right now play pretty low on there own so I probably won't put a sub back in.
This is a very quick and dirty measurement of the pair from mlp without any dsp.

Attachments

• cn4OF19.png
    cn4OF19.png
    77 KB · Views: 78

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't use a sub in this space. I'm trying to simplify this space hence getting the wiim. I have other rooms that get more toys out of sight. I'm sure that would have solved the problem. The speakers I'm using right now play pretty low on there own so I probably won't put a sub back in.
This is a very quick and dirty measurement of the pair from mlp without any dsp.
Wow!Just wow!

Stay.PNG

If that's the song (No 5 of soundtrack -Stay) it has content down to about 16Hz at -21db and a huge,continuous ramble at 33Hz at -9.6db!

(what was the line?"you're gonna need a bigger gun"? Replace "gun" with "amp" )

Admittedly it's fun to play it loud :)

Edit: Can't hear the 16Hz stuff,I don't use subs but the 33Hz thing is scary.

Last edited:

Antlestxp

Not if the use is driving it so far out of its rated power it causes it to current limit.
The wiim amp is rated at the same power as the amp it replaced. I had a marantz pm7000n (60 watts per @ 8 ohm). I did not have the same experience with that. Or the nr1200 I had now that I think about it. And to say the wiim is just for music is silly. They advertise it as a device to use with TV on their site.

Included a picture of the amp in my previous configuration. Same speakers just before they were re veneered.

Attachments

• 20230325_080750.jpg
    20230325_080750.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 119

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The wiim amp is rated at the same power as the amp it replaced.
OK, but once you start to reach beyond the limits of rated power then behaviour will vary dramatically depending on how much short term headroom there is and what protection mechanisms kick in.

Also - if a lot of current down low is being demanded due to speaker impedance curve, then again, behaviour will vary depending on available current capacity of the two amps at the frequencies that need the current.

Antlestxp

OK, but once you start to reach beyond the limits of rated power then behaviour will vary dramatically depending on how much short term headroom there is and what protection mechanisms kick in.

Also - if a lot of current down low is being demanded due to speaker impedance curve, then again, behaviour will vary depending on available current capacity of the two amps at the frequencies that need the current.
Good to know. With all of the different types of speakers people will use, maybe there is something they can upgrade to change its behavior. I hope the wiim team is aware of this. Also wiim team, if you are listening, let's see a wiim preamp next! Streaming, hdmi, maybe phono and rca outs. That would give the same versatility as the wiim amp but flexibility for power.

01svtL

It’s 2024 and amplifiers are still being released with low pass subwoofer outputs but no high-pass switch, at minimum, for the mains. Very disappointing.
While I'm not exactly a newbie, I still do not know the difference here. If you would, and feel free to message me instead so as to not clutter this thread (though I'm sure others wouldn't mind the explanation), could you explain why this might be important (what scenario(s))?

staticV3

Master Contributor

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does a high pass limit what the sub plays up to?
A high-pass filter limits how deep your main speakers can reach. It does not affect your sub.

If you set a crossover in an amp/receiver at 80hz, is this not accomplishing both? The sub picks up 79 and below, and the speakers are cut off at 80?
Ideally, yes. But the exact implementation differs.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Something I'm still struggling to understand. The wiim measures fine but it couldn't keep up with a basic avr in my case. I even tried a second one to be sure I didn't have a dud.
Power output and quality are two very separate things though. Admittedly it is a shame the WIIM doesn't have more power on tap, but then that's probably something for a slightly more expensive variant down the line. For a first showing though...is impressive and certainly looks far nicer than any equivalent price AVR.

PGansz

Forum Donor
The issue here is that Wiim markets the product as a device for home theater. If they didn't advertise it like that then the issues wouldn't be so serious.

But they do, and the amp doesn't have much power and clearly can't drive impactful bass if your speakers dip below 4ohm ratings...but seriously...how many speakers don't have real world impedances below 4ohms?

The thing is a desktop/near-field/high sensivity speaker device only.

They should not have marketed it like a two channel AVR. It's not.

Antlestxp

Power output and quality are two very separate things though. Admittedly it is a shame the WIIM doesn't have more power on tap, but then that's probably something for a slightly more expensive variant down the line. For a first showing though...is impressive and certainly looks far nicer than any equivalent price AVR.
Or a pro model preamp. Connect a pair of those new fosi mono amps to. That could be a pretty solid little setup

effj

The issue here is that Wiim markets the product as a device for home theater. If they didn't advertise it like that then the issues wouldn't be so serious.

But they do, and the amp doesn't have much power and clearly can't drive impactful bass if your speakers dip below 4ohm ratings...but seriously...how many speakers don't have real world impedances below 4ohms?

The thing is a desktop/near-field/high sensivity speaker device only.

They should not have marketed it like a two channel AVR. It's not.
From the WiiM Amp product overview: “Craving that extra oomph? Simply add a powered subwoofer to take your audio to cinematic levels“ (https://wiimhome.com/wiimamp/overview). Does it not delver in a home theater setup if the crossover and a subwoofer are used? Usually when I think home theater, a subwoofer for the LFE comes to mind. That’s how I have it setup in my home office and have no problems.

Antlestxp

From the WiiM Amp product overview: “Craving that extra oomph? Simply add a powered subwoofer to take your audio to cinematic levels“ (https://wiimhome.com/wiimamp/overview). Does it not delver in a home theater setup if the crossover and a subwoofer are used? Usually when I think home theater, a subwoofer for the LFE comes to mind. That’s how I have it setup in my home office and have no problems.
I didn't want to run a sub in this room. Subs live in my music room and dedicated movie room. I want great sound from a simple setup. The fix for my issue was buying another amp. Have power and sound I want without needing a sub. The reason I wanted to run the wiim was the prospect of adding a wiim unit (amp or streamer) to every room. That can be done for pretty cheap and that would let me ditch my roon subscription. I'm using a nad m10v2 right now. I don't think it's a good value to outfit every room with bluesound products.

Top Bottom