• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 282 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir Majidimehr of Audio Science Review published flawed measurements placing my work and abilities in a false light.

The FACTS are Amir Majidimehr refuses to suspend or modify his unsolicited review of my work as of April 10th, 2024. Amir measured our loudspeaker from the wrong angle and he published a flawed frequency response and step response. The correct listening axis for this loudspeaker is directly on-axis [an entirely different angle] with the 8” woofer. The result is a much better frequency response than Amir is publicly conveying and an ideal step response; a step response that reflects the speaker is ‘time-aligned’. Amir's impedance measurement is also flawed and reflects the supplied feet were not used and with no provisions to plug four 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts resulting in him publishing a flawed impedance measurement, flawed distortion measurements, flawed cumulative spectral decay, and lowered bass output in the frequency response measurements due to internal cabinet pressure losses.

Amir’s picture of the Mini Lore reflects the speaker in the air (6 inches off the ground) with no feet being used to maintain proper internal cabinet pressure. His picture also reflects a sun bleached woofer calling into question just how old this speaker might be. The Mini Lore has been in production for 15 years and the speaker he’s using looks visually compromised.

Amir Majidimehr's fumbled measurements caused him to draw conclusions that produced false narratives regarding our loudspeakers performance and my work.

The Mini Lore has a solid cabinet containing internal bracing within; when you see a resonance that big at 180Hz there’s only one logical explanation… there must be a hole or a hidden cavity in the cabinet. Amir failed to discern this. Amir failed to plug the threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinet and the result cast a negative light on the speaker. Why do we use threaded inserts with a hole through the cabinet? To make it more versatile for isolation feet and outriggers and to allow for the speaker to be perfectly leveled.

In my opinion, Amir Majidimehr should have been more amiable to suspending or modifying his review when I informed him weeks back there were problems.

I feel blindsided by Amir Majidimehr. I believe he owes me a personal and a public apology. I believe Amir Majidimehr should be doing everything in his power to rectify this problem.

Respectfully,
Eric Alexander
Audio Designer
President
Tekton Design, LLC
Man you are not even borderline delusional at this point. Doubling down this bad just reeks of incompetence and arrogance.

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Seeing a set of measurements with feet in place measured on the woofer axis to see how things change would be informative.

I recognize that what I am about to suggest is unlikely to occur, but I’ll say it anyway, in a moment of optimism for a positive resolution to this drama.

Perhaps Tekton can provide the measurements of their speaker under optimized conditions? Or perhaps Tekton could provide a new speaker with factory installed feet for a repeat measurement taken at the designed reference point?

This would be of great interest to the ASR readership and a learning opportunity for all, and hopefully shift to a more constructive dialogue.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@Eric Alexander If you added some proof in the form of measurements, such as a comparison of FR with and without the feet installed (the 180Hz thingy). And also impedance plot differences between these modes (does not require acoustic measurements). And add measurements of time alignment with the mic at tweeter axis and as a comparison with a mic at the woofer axis showing differences (and note at which distance that measurement would be valid).
I am sure any serious manufacturer will likely have done those measurements, even if a bit crude, if only for themselves.

That data would make it clear why Amir (and by extension Erin) would need to redo a day's work of measurements... and reporting, which would prove to be something worthwhile enough to do and warrant a rectification.

Please post the info showing your concerns warrant a re-measurement. Just stating and demanding it while stamping your feet (euphemism for the lawsuit) isn't very ... umm

Last edited:

Hiten

Amir measures all speakers with care and rigour. And how old speakers are; does that matter ? Difference would be minor. (Compared to other major flaws if they exist) Otherwise everyone would require to change their prefered speaker in few years. Isn't listening to tweeter axis preferable and most standardised position to listen to ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
@Eric Alexander If you added some proof in the form of measurements, such as a comparison of FR with and without the feet installed (the 180Hz thingy). And also impedance plot differences between these modes (does not require acoustic measurements). And add measurements of time alignment with the mic at tweeter axis and as a comparison with a mic at the woofer axis showing differences (and note at which distance that measurement would be valid).
I am sure any serious manufacturer will likely have done those measurements, even if a bit crude, if only for themselves.
That data would make it clear why Amir (and by extension Erin) would need to redo a day's work of measurements and reporting which are worthwhile enough to redo reporting.

I'm sure that's all going to be in the video...

Roland68

Major Contributor
Haha... Funny. :D

No, this is on topic in a related way. @Eric Alexander has not answered my PEQ and his colored speakers question with an answer. He has skirted the question. Your details are pertinent. I've been a proponent of EQ/PEQ since the days when JVC had it on all their receivers and amps and nobody else was doing it. Major advantage on the sales floor having EQ on them.
Clearly, EQ/PEQ/Room EQ make sense and can make a big difference.
But you just have to see both sides and let them exist.
There are a lot of intentionally sounded devices and speakers and many people who are happy with them. And that's okay, because we can't all like the same thing.
EQ/PEQ/Room EQ can be forgotten with these things, it can't work. Because what will happen if something is intentionally manipulated beforehand and then straightened out again? It just ruins everything. You just have to accept that when you go into this cave.

I'm always amazed at how much you can get out of headphones with PEQ/EQ, especially cheap in-ears. But I can't listen to my AKG K812 with any PEQ/EQ.
The same applies to most speakers for me, you can get a lot out of them. I can hear my Aurora 700 well with and without PEQ/EQ, as well as Elac FS 407 etc. But modified Celestion SL 600/700, for example, don't work at all, nor do a few of the most advanced DIY speakers.

Perhaps such products need to be treated a little more leniently during testing and the intention of the development should be taken into account.
Don't get me wrong, I think technical tests and evaluations are important, especially measurement protocols.
What I personally cannot accept and tolerate is the behavior of the owner of Tekton. Luckily, he hurt himself and his company Tekton the most, but also made a few others unhappy.
@Eric Alexander also still doesn't understand that neither Amir nor Erin wanted to do anything bad to him or his company. Just as little as he understands how positive an open exchange and discussion, including knowledge transfer, could have been. Not to mention a new group of buyers.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a textbook case of how not to respond to a negative review. Several have said Eric should have offered a modified version of the speaker without the measured deficiencies. Alternatively, doing nothing would have been better than threatening litigation and attacking the reviewers.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
The correct Mini Lore measurements will be published on the Tekton Design website and contained within YouTube video we're producing; any of you will then be able post them up here.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir Majidimehr of Audio Science Review published flawed measurements placing my work and abilities in a false light.

The FACTS are Amir Majidimehr refuses to suspend or modify his unsolicited review of my work as of April 10th, 2024. Amir measured our loudspeaker from the wrong angle and he published a flawed frequency response and step response. The correct listening axis for this loudspeaker is directly on-axis [an entirely different angle] with the 8” woofer. The result is a much better frequency response than Amir is publicly conveying and an ideal step response; a step response that reflects the speaker is ‘time-aligned’. Amir's impedance measurement is also flawed and reflects the supplied feet were not used and with no provisions to plug four 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts resulting in him publishing a flawed impedance measurement, flawed distortion measurements, flawed cumulative spectral decay, and lowered bass output in the frequency response measurements due to internal cabinet pressure losses.

Amir’s picture of the Mini Lore reflects the speaker in the air (6 inches off the ground) with no feet being used to maintain proper internal cabinet pressure. His picture also reflects a sun bleached woofer calling into question just how old this speaker might be. The Mini Lore has been in production for 15 years and the speaker he’s using looks visually compromised.

Amir Majidimehr's fumbled measurements caused him to draw conclusions that produced false narratives regarding our loudspeakers performance and my work.

The Mini Lore has a solid cabinet containing internal bracing within; when you see a resonance that big at 180Hz there’s only one logical explanation… there must be a hole or a hidden cavity in the cabinet. Amir failed to discern this. Amir failed to plug the threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinet and the result cast a negative light on the speaker. Why do we use threaded inserts with a hole through the cabinet? To make it more versatile for isolation feet and outriggers and to allow for the speaker to be perfectly leveled.

In my opinion, Amir Majidimehr should have been more amiable to suspending or modifying his review when I informed him weeks back there were problems.

I feel blindsided by Amir Majidimehr. I believe he owes me a personal and a public apology. I believe Amir Majidimehr should be doing everything in his power to rectify this problem.

Respectfully,
Eric Alexander
Audio Designer
President
Tekton Design, LLC

All you have to do is supply your own in-house measurements that illustrate the performance differences you are claiming here. @amirm has said he will be happy to take down or modify the review - all you have to do is show him your own data to substantiate your claims.

Put up or shut up.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So this model uses through wall feet holes as well, amazing... Anyway, I can see Eric's point now, different reference center and open cabinet will change some of the measurements (not necessarily for the better), this message of HOW they are wrong should be the first thing he wrote to Amir, rather than aggressive table flipping and rage quitting, but here we are

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All you have to do is supply your own in-house measurements that illustrate the performance differences you are claiming here. @amirm has said he will be happy to take down or modify the review - all you have to do is show him your own data to substantiate your claims.

Put up or shut up.
The dude doesn't put out and talks big, fill in the blanks.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
It's sad to see tough guys play the 'unduly sensitive' card all day long. The facts are we are all like minded music lovers with mutual interests. Hurling insults and ad hominem attack's all day long is juvenile, boring, and non-productive.

Top Bottom