• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 284 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 176 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

dfuller

Major Contributor
where you hear this?
EAC's facebook group. He posted what @thewas relayed a few posts up. Apparently the foot mounts go all the way through the cabinet (????) so it's not sealed without the feet on it(!?) so he's redoing the tests.

The fact that the foot mounting holes go all the way through is just... patently dumb.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EAC's facebook group. He posted what @thewas relayed a few posts up. Apparently the foot mounts go all the way through the cabinet (????) so it's not sealed without the feet on it(!?) so he's redoing the tests.

The fact that the foot mounting holes go all the way through is just... patently dumb.

I can confirm that this is true, I'm a Patron of Erin's and saw screenshots of the email that Eric sent him.

He called foul here and with Erin. That is THE signature con-artist move.

Prolix

Forum Donor
This guy doesn't have anything even remotely resembling a legitimate legal claim. Unbelievable.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Toole's research showed us what the 'ideal' loudspeaker would look like: flat on-axis and constant DI. Combine that with a good room and you get a smoothly tilted frequency response. This 'ideal' loudspeaker would be the preference for the average person, but the word 'average' already implies that not everybody would agree. Harman research showed that there are outliers and its nice that not every speaker is the same. There are for sure people who'd prefer Tekton speakers over a Neumann or a Genelec, while the average ASR reader (and as per Toole's research: the average person) would possibly prefer the neutral speaker over a Tekton.
This is all fine and about what I would've expected to hear if a representative from the company commented on this review ("it's something different and not for everyone, but a lot of people love them and are very happy with them" maybe?), possibly aside from the Ascend coolness to improve on their designs, but holy hell what is going on here?! If Amir responded to criticism as well as this supposed company owner I would've long been banned from ASR..!

On a side note, I don't think anybody who puts multiple tweeters on a passive speaker can be a sane person.

Theta

I'll preface my comment by noting that I've never heard any of Tekton's speakers (and am not in the market for any new speakers right now) but I come away from this thoroughly unimpressed with the company's response. He has repeatedly said that ASR's testing methods were wrong, but has passed several opportunities to explain how they were wrong or what mistakes were made. Then, he next threatened litigation. That rarely impresses anyone in the business world. (One of my favorite examples is that, years ago, I was in a meeting with a client and a lawyer from his national insurance company when the party on the other side threatened a lawsuit. The lawyer's response was "we have 50,000 lawsuits under way right now. 50,000 and one doesn't worry me.")

It is well known in the audio world that ASR is all about testing and numbers versus subjective evaluations. If Tekton has a beef about how the testing was done, they need to give specific details as to what they think was done wrong. Stomping their feet and telling us how expert they are doesn't impress. Their initial response was that this speaker was not designed to give good numbers but rather to sound a certain way that would please "audiophiles." They should have left it at that. There are many companies that don't score well with ASR's numbers-oriented review format but have no problem peddling their wares to happy buyers who prefer a subjective philosophy when it comes to audio performance. It's a pity that Tekton missed a chance to stay focused on the customers that like the way they do things and instead got into a pissing contest on an audio forum whose readers were likely a low probability market to start with.
There is nothing wrong in making a speaker to please a specific audiophile market.
So called studio monitors promoted to sell to audiophiles may measure very well but unsuitable for many different user tastes and situations. You can be very adament in stating that test results are everyting in electronics (as I beleive) but not with speakers.

mlsstl

There is nothing wrong in making a speaker to please a specific audiophile market.
So called studio monitors promoted to sell to audiophiles may measure very well but unsuitable for many different user tastes and situations. You can be very adament in stating that test results are everyting in electronics (as I beleive) but not with speakers.
And, if you note, I didn't say there was anything "wrong" with his approach to the design of his speakers -- I've never heard them so have no clue what they sound like. I just wasn't very impressed with his approach to handling this situation.

There's a big market out there for all kinds of different gear. Nothing wrong with identifying a small segment of the market and going after those buyers. However, there is no need to get in a fight with everyone who doesn't do it your way.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright work day is done, putting in my last post before I get my daily dose of exercise in.

I would love to start a GoFundMe to buy the Tekton Studio Monitor to send to Amir to get it measured since Eric Alexander said the following: The only linear loudspeaker models we offer are intended for professional studio engineering and they are tools for a toolbox.

Who would donate to my GoFundMe? :D

Alright, alright. . .I was just joking, let me stop before the mods come after me for trolling. :p Unless there is real interest in this GoFundMe ;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Patreon members may know things that are not public...one can infer what is happening based on the owner's responses in this thread.
What I posted was public in his YT channel, I am not a patreon member of him, the only audio site I have sponsored till now is ASR.

Reverend Slim

Eric's amplification of this has likely garnered far more attention than the reviews themselves ever might have for his target audience. There was a diplomatic way to address his concerns in a way that would have maintained the respect of the community. This wasn't it. And that falls solely on him.

As for the litigation nonsense, I could draft that MSJ and Motion to Dismiss in my sleep. After discovery, of course.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
On a side note, I don't think anybody who puts multiple tweeters on a passive speaker can be a sane person.
I don't disagree, but, boy howdy, there's precedent.
Rectilinear
Lowboy.jpg.35826de046dabc36ee487f33131071bd.jpg

Design Acoustics D6
1+front+1+back.jpg

I think the problem could be that anyone with a table saw and a router can be a loudspeaker designer and manufacturer.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eric's amplification of this has likely garnered far more attention than the reviews themselves ever might have for his target audience. There was a diplomatic way to address his concerns in a way that would have maintained the respect of the community. This wasn't it. And that falls solely on him.

As for the litigation nonsense, I could draft that MSJ and Motion to Dismiss in my sleep. After discovery, of course.
Rectilinear

Design Acoustics D6
1+front+1+back.jpg

I think the problem could be that anyone with a table saw and a router can be a loudspeaker designer and manufacturer.
There are other speakers that uses more than one tweeter sized driver that works. But not for the reason Eric Alexander claims on his patent about some "moving mass" nonsense.

Putter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He called foul here and with Erin. That is THE signature con-artist move.
You're going a little overboard on this. If it was not tested correctly, it's reasonable to request a retest although one has to wonder how many owners have unplugged holes.

Erin actually gave the speaker a fairly positive review with the main criticisms being a somewhat elevated midrange and relatively narrow directivity. It was not a whole hearted recommendation, but that it was OK in his subjective listening and some of the midrange issue could be EQ'ed out. What is strange is that it had a flat bass in spite of the 'hole' in the bottom.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The following is not a Tekton defense.

What about McIntosh?

They've been making speakers with tweeter arrays for decades.

Are they insane?

1000002349.jpg

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're going a little overboard on this. If it was not tested correctly, it's reasonable to request a retest although one has to wonder how many owners have unplugged holes.

Erin actually gave the speaker a fairly positive review with the main criticisms being a somewhat elevated midrange and relatively narrow directivity. It was not a whole hearted recommendation, but that it was OK in his subjective listening and some of the midrange issue could be EQ'ed out. What is strange is that it had a flat bass in spite of the 'hole' in the bottom.
Did you read the last 10 pages of this thread with Eric Alexander throwing a temper tantrum and threatening "litigation"?

Calling everyone here trolls?

Calling the measurements botched with no explanation as to why?

Stating that "audiophile" speakers shouldn't measure flat as it wouldn't considered audiophile grade and offers no explanation as to why?

Last edited:

Theta

Rectilinear

Design Acoustics D6
1+front+1+back.jpg

The tweeter array acts as a midrange, the only tweeter is in the center.
Yes, anyone with a table saw and a router and a little knowledge can produce a great passive speaker, all the models crossover schematics and drivers are available. That is a good thing. The only difficulty is the marketing issue. Most high end speakers can be kloned for a fraction of the price. Granted a serious company like kef with highly qualified technicians and sophisticated tools have been making great speakers for decades but resulting in only marginaly better speakers than low investment outfits like Tekton and others.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Granted a serious company like kef with highly qualified technicians and sophisticated tools have been making great speakers for decades but resulting in only marginaly better speakers than low investment outfits like Tekton and others.
April fools was 4 days ago :oops:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fools are the ones paying 10's of thousands for low tech speakers not much different than the high end speakers made 50 years ago.
So are you saying that Tekton is high tech?

Which speakers are ASR members here buying that's old teck from 50 years ago?

Top Bottom