• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

extremism in opinions

D

Deleted member 48726

Oh boy. The internet forums or chat rooms could be a lot worse back in the day.

On the contrary I find peoples skin is generally much much thinner than it used to be.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Another important reason of those flashy titles and statements is attention seeking that sometimes borders with trolling.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Even just posting on a "forum", period, is definitely seen as some grandpa/boomer stuff.

Absolutely. My fiancée regularly rolls her eyes and goes "What, are you 70 years old? Boomer!" when she sees I'm on here :oops:

Yup every guy on Youtube now has the stupid gaping mouth thumbnail now.

Sometimes, when I've had the cookies on my PC deleted for whatever reason and have been logged out of my Google account, I get the default YouTube page, and it always makes me laugh out loud. Every single suggested video is a complete by the book clickbait constuction with unbelievably shallow content.

Can't hit the login button fast enough, just to stop the don't-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore feeling.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Internet existed in early 1980s (USENET) and was quite hostile then. Battles were mostly about tube vs. transistor and then CD vs LP. There is just a lot more people participating than we had back then so everything is amplified.
My own experience was initially different, more positive, from a German perspective. Today, I have largely withdrawn from the Internet, no longer hold own blogs, websites and forums. I explained this to my readers as follows, when I said goodbye.

(Automatic translation)

"In contrast to the beginnings of the public Internet in the early nineties, when I witnessed it as a manageable training ground for a sympathetic avant-garde, today the Web is overloaded with questionable content. In a flood of information, disinformation, and advertising that is controlled by algorithms, valuable cultural achievements are lost, as are living social ties.

The philosopher Richard David Precht even recognizes features of a dictatorship in the data cloud, the rule of digital empires that buy our freedom at breathtaking speed and lull us into a matrix. So it's time to disengage and think about what we want from the digital and what we don't."

Belgik

Things have become a lot worse in just the last few years. I believe it had to do with the COVID shutdowns. If anyone is rude, I urge you to not respond and report the post. There are two very good moderators here and if necessary they will deal with the problem. Be careful, there are many trolls here.

One of the more annoying techniques I have noticed here is members asking for proof when the statement may be easily be verified by searching this forum or using Google. It's best to ignore these requests. If you tell them it's easy to find yourself, they blow up. If you provide the requested evidence they will attack your credibility and that of your sources. I've had enough of it.

Honesty, it's reaching the point where posting around here isn't worth the hassle.
Howdy Ron,
You mention "rude"... the U.S. portion of my life education always placed great, exaggerated perhaps, emphasis on "avoiding rude language". And I wish to uphold such, or very similar, standards. That's the pink stratus... I'm extremely, outrageously "shocked" upon hearing (and seeing) that an increasing number of world "leaders" appear not to be inhibited in that sense.
Guess I'm plain naive...
But ... let's be nice and hear ... the good sounds!

Barrelhouse Solly

My first modem came around 1990. I remember BBSs as pretty wild and wooly. The word troll had been in use for quite a while. I had a lot of fun with USENET and mailing lists. The main difference I see is that the general availability of the internet and the rise of social media has lowered the intellectual level of the insults and craziness somewhat because it's not just geeks. I participated in several blues related mailing lists and USENET groups. "What is real Blues" discussions routinely devolved into "You're a poo poo head," "No you're a poo poo head," dialogues. I'm sure politics, philosophy, and literary criticism groups had similar threads.

analogonly

Even happens in our own little world. Can you belive that there are people using other than analog, tubes, and horns or panels?

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We argue so vehemently because the stakes are so low.

Plus, this...

duty_calls_2x.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have people's opinions always been so extreme or is it something new
Yes, it was always that way and it will stay like that.

It helps to talk to people in person, connect on a human level. Forget political discourse online, it's not happening.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
Yes, it was always that way and it will stay like that.

It helps to talk to people in person, connect on a human level. Forget political discourse online, it's not happening.
Prior to the internet I did know a few people that had their opinions pretty well locked in and wouldn't consider anything else. The internet exposes us to more of those people because, just like in person, they are the ones most likely to keep sharing their opinion; so they are the ones most heard from. And the loudest people always seem like the most people.

That said, I think the internet moves a lot of people from having slight opinions on things to strong opinions on them. When people just interacted in real life they met a variety of people with a variety of opinions and reasons for those opinions. They might meet a few others that share their leanings on something or even join a club with a dozen or so in it. But it wasn't an entire support group of hundreds or even thousands telling them 'you are right, those other people are wrong'. And those groups weren't instantly accessible 24/7. Instead of talking to a co-worker about a wide variety of things they can just visit the group that supports their thinking.

Not only do people now spend most of their time only with like-minded people but even when not on forums the algorithms of search engines and video platforms keep feeding them results that are in line with what they think because the companies know that will keep them looking longer and they will see more advertisements. So information backing the other point of view is out there, but they won't see it because the companies that make all their money off ads are afraid showing them that might make them leave rather than spiraling down a rabbit hole of things that will anger them.

Some people have always been into politics but 30 years ago I don't remember it continually coming up in conversations about completely non-political things. I worked with a guy that was very opinionated and outspoken but his subjects were things that were personal to him. As the internet took off he switched to pretty much anything and everything being able to spin to "That's like <insert politician> they think...."

The early days of talk radio gave people a few hours of what the internet now does, but the huge growth in the number of those types of programs actually follows the growth of the internet. There was a time when the radio talk show people would talk about TV programs, movies and since more of them were local, local happenings. Now the ones that I've listened to off and on for decades have gone syndicated and are mostly politics.

I think, not only has the internet siloed people into groups with similar opinions it has made many from those groups seek out other information sources that reinforce those opinions. A few years back, large newspaper was struggling, like so many, and then it picked a political side and really focused their coverage on how bad the other side was. When they did that, their online subscriber level skyrocketed. When the customers went from getting a variety of news stories, likely with a leaning towards one political side to a large number of stories focused on just one side they were so much happier. Likely because most people aren't accustomed to having their opinions challenged by what they read and hear, even slightly, anymore.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Prior to the internet I did know a few people that had their opinions pretty well locked in and wouldn't consider anything else. The internet exposes us to more of those people because, just like in person, they are the ones most likely to keep sharing their opinion; so they are the ones most heard from. And the loudest people always seem like the most people.

That said, I think the internet moves a lot of people from having slight opinions on things to strong opinions on them. When people just interacted in real life they met a variety of people with a variety of opinions and reasons for those opinions. They might meet a few others that share their leanings on something or even join a club with a dozen or so in it. But it wasn't an entire support group of hundreds or even thousands telling them 'you are right, those other people are wrong'. And those groups weren't instantly accessible 24/7. Instead of talking to a co-worker about a wide variety of things they can just visit the group that supports their thinking.

Not only do people now spend most of their time only with like-minded people but even when not on forums the algorithms of search engines and video platforms keep feeding them results that are in line with what they think because the companies know that will keep them looking longer and they will see more advertisements. So information backing the other point of view is out there, but they won't see it because the companies that make all their money off ads are afraid showing them that might make them leave rather than spiraling down a rabbit hole of things that will anger them.

Some people have always been into politics but 30 years ago I don't remember it continually coming up in conversations about completely non-political things. I worked with a guy that was very opinionated and outspoken but his subjects were things that were personal to him. As the internet took off he switched to pretty much anything and everything being able to spin to "That's like <insert politician> they think...."

The early days of talk radio gave people a few hours of what the internet now does, but the huge growth in the number of those types of programs actually follows the growth of the internet. There was a time when the radio talk show people would talk about TV programs, movies and since more of them were local, local happenings. Now the ones that I've listened to off and on for decades have gone syndicated and are mostly politics.

I think, not only has the internet siloed people into groups with similar opinions it has made many from those groups seek out other information sources that reinforce those opinions. A few years back, large newspaper was struggling, like so many, and then it picked a political side and really focused their coverage on how bad the other side was. When they did that, their online subscriber level skyrocketed. When the customers went from getting a variety of news stories, likely with a leaning towards one political side to a large number of stories focused on just one side they were so much happier. Likely because most people aren't accustomed to having their opinions challenged by what they read and hear, even slightly, anymore.
Your ideas are inline with my experiences. Now to undo everything done to me by toxicity in the media I limit myself to bursts of news reading and commentary participation at most 10 minutes at a time and preferably at 5 minutes and then I exit. I also go out more for meals...LoL... It works! A little self love.. Last night I had a Supreme Donair CombO and today I'm going for Chinese food for lunch again... LoL.

Reactions: MAB

Digital_Thor

We are between 15-25 people meeting every winter for our yearly HIFI Christmas lunch. The tone is soo different in real life, which is actually a good thing. We mostly communicate fine online, but the interaction when meeting to exchange ideas and showing off something we build... Then it's just... Better.
Getting a beer with Ulrik from SB, Simon from Scan-Speak, Troels Gravesen, Buchardt, among others, really remind you that we are just people, doing what we love -enjoying our hobby, and often the result of hard work.

The internet is a great tool, but it should only stay as a tool, not a hiding place :D

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
Your ideas are inline with my experiences. Now to undo everything done to me by toxicity in the media I limit myself to bursts of news reading and commentary participation at most 10 minutes at a time and preferably at 5 minutes and then I exit. I also go out more for meals...LoL... It works! A little self love.. Last night I had a Supreme Donair CombO and today I'm going for Chinese food for lunch again... LoL.
A local news radio station had a broadcast issue a few years ago so for a couple hours they ran only 15-20 minute long, in depth, news stories on specific current events from a national source. The stories were really interesting and had a lot of details and information that we don't usually get. Unfortunately, they fixed their system and went back to repeating the same 20 seconds for each news item every 15 minutes. One of the local talk programs that used to keep me awake on my commute every morning goes so hard on the political stories now that, for my own sanity, I switch over to music.

I read a thing one time talking about news and how it used to be very specific for where you were and had useful information about things that would affect you directly. It would be about construction in the area that might affect your travels, farm information and local events; all things that might impact your day.
Now it is global and has very few things in it that will affect you directly in any possible way, but a lot of things that are likely to upset you. The news now seems to be mostly about how the country or world in general is going in a direction that should scare you or how someone wants it to go in that direction.
The writer advised people to ask themselves how the news they hear actually could affect them, if at all; and what, if anything, they could do about it. If the answers are not at all and nothing then move on.

TimF

Forum Donor
Rhetorical question not aimed at anyone in particular: are you one of those who feels diminished or slighted by a cheesy remote control, or who has to have the best appliances?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
are you one of those who feels diminished or slighted by a cheesy remote control
I have a very cheesy small remote control for a floor standing 16" house fan. It feels cheap, looks cheap, it is cheap! But I love my remote for the fan! :D

Keith_W

Major Contributor

I have noticed that too, and it is depressing. I find all news outlets to be biased towards one side or another when it comes to local news. I used to be able to get a more balanced view by reading overseas publications (e.g. Al Jazeera or South China Morning Post's take on Australian news) but even they have a bias towards whatever affects their interests.

Top Bottom