• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roast my room: REW measurements and some questions

Hi folks. I've been delving into working on my room treatment a bit and I figured it's finally time to be a brave boy and post a REW shot. This is with bass traps in the front corners. The room is not amazing: it's an apartment with glass on the back wall behind the speakers and to the right of the R speaker, and an open plan kitchenette to the left of the L speaker. Distance from the center of the tweeters to the LP is about 8 feet. Distance from the speakers to the front wall is about 3 feet. The green trace is the Harman curve generated relative to the response level. Psychoacoustic smoothing applied to both test curves.

RoomShot0225.jpg
What weirds me out the most is that from the LP, the L speaker seems suffering a null around 48Hz while the R speaker is wobbly but not terrible below 60Hz. The L speaker dipping out between 150-250 is also a mystery to me.

The impulse responses are dead on, very very nice coherence, peaks are cleanly aligned. Phase response looks quite good also.

Here's the RMS average:
RMS-0225.jpg
As a relative noob to REW/room acoustics in general, what can the more wizened of you potentially speculate/suggest/infer about my setup here? Happy to post more info if requested.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Hi folks. I've been delving into working on my room treatment a bit and I figured it's finally time to be a brave boy and post a REW shot. This is with bass traps in the front corners. The room is not amazing: it's an apartment with glass on the back wall behind the speakers and to the right of the R speaker, and an open plan kitchenette to the left of the L speaker. Distance from the center of the tweeters to the LP is about 8 feet. Distance from the speakers to the front wall is about 3 feet. The green trace is the Harman curve generated relative to the response level. Psychoacoustic smoothing applied to both test curves.

What weirds me out the most is that from the LP, the L speaker seems suffering a null around 48Hz while the R speaker is wobbly but not terrible below 60Hz. The L speaker dipping out between 150-250 is also a mystery to me.

The impulse responses are dead on, very very nice coherence, peaks are cleanly aligned. Phase response looks quite good also.

Here's the RMS average:
As a relative noob to REW/room acoustics in general, what can the more wizened of you potentially speculate/suggest/infer about my setup here? Happy to post more info if requested.

Uneveness is mostly caused by modes and boundary reflections.

There’s not much more that can be inferred from just those plots. Post your mdat file if you want someone to look at the raw measurements. Distortion should also be checked with/out EQ at moderate to high SPLs.

OP
phantompowered
Uneveness is mostly caused by modes and boundary reflections.

There’s not much more that can be inferred from just those plots. Post your mdat file if you want someone to look at the raw measurements. Distortion should also be checked with/out EQ at moderate to high SPLs.

See attached.

Attachments

• Feb 25 Full.mdat.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
See attached.

Your measurement is a bit noisy -- likely from all the glass and/or other reflective surfaces. And as can be seen, there's a few discrete HF strong early reflections. *Also some uneven energy spread/smearing between 200-300 Hz or more...

phantompowered1.png phantompowered2.png phantompowered14.png phantompowered15.png

Phase/Time domain skew caused by the room ~65 Hz in the left speaker is interestingly compensated by the right speaker -- to a degree.

phantompowered3.png phantompowered4.png phantompowered5.png

Open room plans like yours are difficult to "EQ correct" for the entire room. But, it's possible to create a slightly more "flattish" EQ profile for one MLP -- or two, if you can compromise.

phantompowered6.png phantompowered7.png phantompowered8.png phantompowered9.png phantompowered10.png phantompowered11.png phantompowered12.png phantompowered13.png 1708931090874.png

Last edited:

ppataki

Major Contributor
Alternatively you can also try to lower the target to 74dB and do full optimization with zero dB boost
Your response will look pretty nice, see below L and R channels

1708942761259.png

You just need to measure it back to see if distortion kicks in

OP
phantompowered
Thank you folks! Very interesting! I really appreciate the clearer analysis of some of the parameters that I didn't know as much about. I will have to do some more experimenting!

Last edited:
Top Bottom