• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX Review

AVKS

When did you get yours?

What is your impression on the imaging and 3D imaging?
The US-made cabinets (the company has since shut down) included magnetic grills, but the current cabinets do not.

I'm not meaning to answer for that poster but I will say that the imaging/depth is exquisite in my nearfield use.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The US-made cabinets (the company has since shut down) included magnetic grills, but the current cabinets do not.
Ok, I started to feel like I got ripped off. I thought maybe they started making the magnetic grills right after I ordered mine. But good to know, so the previous member probably got a older pair when it was made by the US company.
I'm not meaning to answer for that poster but I will say that the imaging/depth is exquisite in my nearfield use.
Same here. One of the best I have heard.

Jmschad

Glad to hear a ton of positive feedback on the balance and neutrality of the LX and how versatile they can be. I just sold my pair of Sonus Faber Lumina ii (Did not like the boosted treble) and got the order in yesterday for the LX in Natural!

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad to hear a ton of positive feedback on the balance and neutrality of the LX and how versatile they can be. I just sold my pair of Sonus Faber Lumina ii (Did not like the boosted treble) and got the order in yesterday for the LX in Natural!
If you are coming from Sonus Faber, it would be night and day, because SF is one of the least neutral speakers out there.

Matt34

I have my LX's arriving today. It will be interesting how they compare to the M106 I currently have in my living room. I don't have any real issues with the Revel's, it's more of me and my revolving speaker addiction.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have my LX's arriving today. It will be interesting how they compare to the M106 I currently have in my living room. I don't have any real issues with the Revel's, it's more of me and my revolving speaker addiction.
I love hearing others' subjective feedback, not that it would change any for me since I already have them, but it's just interesting to hear what other owners think.

Please report back.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LX owners, the track "The Prophet" from Gramatik came on. . .and demonstrated the LX bass.

EDIT: Then I searched for bass heavy hip hop. . . rumbled the house with no sub.

Last edited:

Matt34

My quick, hour 1 impressions with familiar songs.

Smilk- Last Rainforest: sound stage is wider and imaging felt more precise, I would need to listen to the Revels again.

Fink- Trouble's what you're in: Bass line is much more satisfying compared to the M106.

Bjork- Hollow (16 bit remix): you still need subs for the first 1 min of this, but still impressive for a bookshelf.

There is more detail and energy in the treble but not in any offensive way I've noticed so far. The bass improvement is easy, I'll need more time to flesh out the midrange differences.

Ran them in pure direct mode off my Denon 3800h to an Emotiva BasX 3, source is tidal through a Wiim Pro Plus.

Attachments

• 1000000150.jpg
    1000000150.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 1000000151.jpg
    1000000151.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 1000000153.jpg
    1000000153.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 112

Pareto Pragmatic

When did you get yours?

What is your impression on the imaging and 3D imaging?
5 days ago, ordered 10 days ago.

Imaging is crisp and definite, very precisely located. Very 3d, very holographic. We and and do walk behind the main listening position, and the sound/feeling of "walking past the performers on stage" is pretty evident. The sound stage holds, the listener perspective on it changes.

A lot of that is from the room and positioning of things, but the definition and precise location, that's the speakers 100%.

Pareto Pragmatic

Good to know. I eventually will pull them further into the room, which will put them much closer to me, and see how that works.

Generally speaking, when I pull speakers more than 10' into the room, the sound stage pulls away from the back wall and I don't gain any depth. But with these? Maybe not? Anyway, I'll give it a try eventually.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5 days ago, ordered 10 days ago.

That is very interesting, I wonder how did you end up with magnetic grills.

@Matt34 just got his in yesterday and it's not magnetic grills, I got mine few weeks ago also no magnetic grills.

According to @Pareto Pragmatic they stopped making it was magnetic grills. I wonder if the pair you have were the remaining stock from the previous cabinet vendor.

AscendDF

Audio Company
Sincere apologies in advance for any confusion. We are indeed *slowly* rolling out new monitor cabinets with magnetic grilles. We received a limited quantity pre-production run of these for evaluation and and have now since approved them for production. We will be updating our website soon.

Glad to see that everyone is enjoying their LX!!!

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sincere apologies in advance for any confusion. We are indeed *slowly* rolling out new monitor cabinets with magnetic grilles. We received a limited quantity pre-production run of these for evaluation and and have now since approved them for production. We will be updating our website soon.

Glad to see that everyone is enjoying their LX!!!
Well, I'm glad to see the upgrade, but too bad I missed it by few weeks.

Will the ELX be made with magnetic grills too?

AscendDF

Audio Company
Well, I'm glad to see the upgrade, but too bad I missed it by few weeks.

Will the ELX be made with magnetic grills too?
Sorry you missed it. Our Towers and Horizon cabinets have had magnetic grilles for about 8-9 years now. Are you considering ELX Towers?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds rather subjective.

For example, which one of these is "more neutral"?

View attachment 359229
On-axis measurements are not enough, they should be flat as above but also distortions in the used listening levels lower than the audible limits and the directivity should be smooth, which in that case brings the question which tilt of directivity is perceived as more neutral which again depends on the listening room and distance. If all other mentioned factors were the same (they aren't) from that post I would say the one which goes deeper in the bass, but again only if its room corrected to a smooth deeper bass. As you can see I agree that the question isn't simple at all, especially considering ideal directivity.

Reactions: MAB

Pareto Pragmatic

Unless you can find something that is perfectly flat, there will be no "most" neutral speaker. Perfect neutrality is a Platonic Ideal that will never exist in the real world. However, "as neutral as it gets" can be read as "in that group where there are only minor/insignificant variations from perfect neutrality." Not sure of the intent by CleanSound, not being a mind reader, but that's how I read the difference in the two terms.

They both look very neutral to me. If I wanted to pick nits, one of the speakers dips to -2db at one VERY small range of frequencies, but both are +/- 1db everywhere else.

Are there speakers that are +/- 0.5db for their full range? If so, I will be happy to say the LX are NOT as neutral as you can get.

But I will still say they are as neutral as you can get for the money and level of SPL that can be cleanly produced, with very few other options at that level.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds rather subjective.

View attachment 359229
"That is as neutral as it gets" The "it" part means speakers (of course passive speakers, that should go without saying). So any (passive) speaker at this level of neutrality is as neutral as it gets.

I also own a pair of Perlisten S7t and that is also as neutral as it gets.

The other speaker you shown is also as neutral as it can get.

I am certain if you put it under the microscope, one is more neutral, but this is statement for near flat line passive speakers.

I also own the Neumann KH 120 II DSP, and as the name implies, it is DSP controlled, that you can't get any more neutral than that. Note "that" here means DSP speakers.

Top Bottom