• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a source of this contradiction to Tooles research?

A "perfect sound" was never stated or the asked, the reference for any recording can only be what was heard in the studio and therefore

above is not true as for example a stereo recording is already mixed and mastered with and for the playback with stereo loudspeakers.

You mean your anecdotal claims of non blinded testing?

Erin criticised in his video review the 2-4 kHz dip and preferred it equalised.

Have done that and while some times I have some lust for such voicings (especially with some older/poorer redcordings) I usually keep coming back to flat in the lorn term.

With that said, a 3 KHz dip is probably the best compromise you can do in a stereo setup.

Linkwitz explained this in his blog

MAB

Major Contributor
With that said, a 3 KHz dip is probably the best compromise you can do in a stereo setup.

Linkwitz explained this in his blog

It's a compromise to compensate for certain recordings:
This applies primarily to recordings of large orchestral pieces in concert halls where the microphones are much closer to the instruments than any listener. At most listening positions in the hall the sound field has strong diffuse components.
I use a dip of 4 dB (x1.gif, 2760NF) to equalize for this. The circuit consists of R, C and L in series, forming a frequency dependent ladder attenuator in conjunction with the 5.11k ohm source resistor. You may choose to make the notch filter selectable with a switch for different types of recordings.
I agree, with his statement that it should be defeat able for recordings where the compensation makes no sense or is undesirable. But not as a rule!
This gets quoted often, but we need the second paragraph for context.
For my musical tastes and recording collection, I would likely rarely/never use it. Similar to the cross-feed on my preamps, I rarely contemplate the utility even if useful for a few circumstances.

Certainly interesting, but under some pretty specific circumstances. Never something that would be a design target unless you have a niche market in who primarily/only listen to such recordings. I think this is the point @thewas was making.

Darek K

What do you think about using LS50meta as speakers next to a computer monitor on a desk?
For now I'm using Cambridge Audio Sx50.

Sorry if my post is not in proper place, but i am new.

stren

Forum Donor
What do you think about using LS50meta as speakers next to a computer monitor on a desk?

IMO they would work well though I'd also consider speakers built for short range monitor applications like Genelec, Neumann. I have LSX's on my desk and had considered the ls50 but was short on space.

index.php

TK33

That is how I use mine. I got the LS50 Meta to use as computer speakers. Very happy with the setup. Used them with a NAD D 3045 until it started acting up a few months ago. Got a NAD M10 v2 to replace it and am very happy with it. The LS50 Meta work great in a nearfield setup if you have the space for them. My monitor is a 35" ultra wide and they are sitting on risers on a 60" standing desk to bring them to ear level (to give you some perspective on size as they are not small desktop speakers). They image very well for me and the music seems to come from somewhere behind the monitor in front of me..

Edit: attaching a picture for your reference.

Attachments

• PXL_20240127_064452304.jpg
    PXL_20240127_064452304.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 153

cicquetto

many here recommend a digital crossover (minidsp type) to add a subwoofer. proceeding along this way, would it make sense to also manage the entire LS50 drive with the minidsp? you would need an amplifier with four outputs and apowered sub.

staticV3

Master Contributor
many here recommend a digital crossover (minidsp type) to add a subwoofer. proceeding along this way, would it make sense to also manage the entire LS50 drive with the minidsp? you would need an amplifier with four outputs and apowered sub.
Are you referring to converting the LS50 to bi-amp with the minidsp as its external, digital crossover? It's certainly possible, but would require some serious effort including disassembly of the LS50 to bypass the analog crossover.

cicquetto

Are you referring to converting the LS50 to bi-amp with the minidsp as its external, digital crossover? It's certainly possible, but would require some serious effort including disassembly of the LS50 to bypass the analog crossover.

yes I mean that. It shouldn't be difficult to do.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes I mean that. It shouldn't be difficult to do.
I suppose that could be done, but why? I don't think it will improve the performance much, if at all. The Metas can already be Eq'd and will work very well with subs, but the major limitation around how loud it can play without distorting will remain. Basically, it's a very nice, high quality speaker that looks great and will sound perfectly acceptable if you play them at the volumes most people listen to music at in their modest sized living rooms. That's apparent from Erin's and Amir's measurements. If you want something you can crank to 95+ db volumes regularly or want something that can play in a larger room, just look elsewhere.

cicquetto

I suppose that could be done, but why? I don't think it will improve the performance much, if at all. The Metas can already be Eq'd and will work very well with subs, but the major limitation around how loud it can play without distorting will remain. Basically, it's a very nice, high quality speaker that looks great and will sound perfectly acceptable if you play them at the volumes most people listen to music at in their modest sized living rooms. That's apparent from Erin's and Amir's measurements. If you want something you can crank to 95+ db volumes regularly or want something that can play in a larger room, just look elsewhere.
I listen to music at low volume, they might be a good choice for me. What differentiates this speaker from those in the higher ranges? the driver should be the same, perhaps the Blade's crossover is more refined. I wonder if a subwoofer paired with the LS50 can generate better performance than the rest of KEF's high range.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Coincidentally I have just been comparing the KEF LS50 wireless with KC62 subwoofer against the KEF LS60’s.
I am still listening, to compete the 50’s need a sub ( we had the passive version when it was released years back) but the LS50\KC62 combination is good and a bit cheaper than the 60’s.
Keith
IMG_3454.jpeg

chris760

Forum Donor
Coincidentally I have just been comparing the KEF LS50 wireless with KC62 subwoofer against the KEF LS60’s.
I am still listening, to compete the 50’s need a sub ( we had the passive version when it was released years back) but the LS50\KC62 combination is good and a bit cheaper than the 60’s.
KeithView attachment 345884
What are your thoughts on this so far? I’m A/B the ls50 wireless II to r11s and having a darn hard time as they sound very close. The thought of everything (receiver, amp, wires) all gone is very appealing.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Chris I haven’t had the R11 or any passive KEF speaker here to compare, but I would definitely add at least one sub to the LS50, with subwoofers they become very much closer to the LS60 which I do have here and been able to directly compare.
Keith

Vacceo

Major Contributor
What are your thoughts on this so far? I’m A/B the ls50 wireless II to r11s and having a darn hard time as they sound very close. The thought of everything (receiver, amp, wires) all gone is very appealing.
If you're staying stereo, the LS50 WII with a subwoofer is all you need in terms of conectivity.

The only part that is a miss is equalization (the APP is quite limited), but if your room is kind, you're in for a versatile system.

chris760

Forum Donor
If you're staying stereo, the LS50 WII with a subwoofer is all you need in terms of conectivity.

The only part that is a miss is equalization (the APP is quite limited), but if your room is kind, you're in for a versatile system.
I picked up a miniDSP2x4HD to give EQ of the subs a go and am having REW flashback nightmares from 15 years ago....

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up a miniDSP2x4HD to give EQ of the subs a go and am having REW flashback nightmares from 15 years ago....
I recently bought a MiniDSP 2x4HD to use with my LS50's (original) and Rhythmic subs. Once I got the system EQ'ed it sounded much better than it ever had in about 4 years. Previously, I used the DSP built into my Crown XLS 1502 to roll off the mains.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
KeithView attachment 345884
I have the LS50WII with 2 KC62s. Got them before the LS60 was on the market, and was glad to have spent less when they did come out. Now, though, the LS60 price-drop makes them fairly competitive with my set-up - and I assume would sound better.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The LS60’s and the two KC subs sound pretty good!
Keith

Impossible

I'm thinking of stacking (with 30cm vertical space) the kef ls50 where each stack (2 speakers) is a separate channel.

Anyone see a problem with this?

TheLastGerman

Top Bottom