• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of stacking (with 30cm vertical space) the kef ls50 where each stack (2 speakers) is a separate channel.

Anyone see a problem with this?
I would point you towards …

Keith

Impossible

Yes, this was my worry, to minimise this I would have a 30cm gap between them vertically and they would be on independent channels so they can be level aligned, time aligned and phase aligned. They could also have their own eq if needed.

TheLastGerman

You may be able to minimize the adverse effects, but you will not eliminate them. What's the point of using point source speakers for such a setup?

Last edited:

Impossible

You may be able to minimize the adverse effects, but you will not eliminate them. What's the point of using point source speakers for such a setup?
I like the tonaility and the transient response. Can't find anything that sounds the same but with more dynamic range.

TheLastGerman

I like the tonaility and the transient response. Can't find anything that sounds the same but with more dynamic rang
The individual speakers have individual transient responses, so there will be overlay effects.

TheLastGerman

I mean two speakers with individual transient responses per channel. Does this make it clearer?

Impossible

I'm not sure really what you mean but I will try to answer. I expect the transient response to be the same as they are the same model speaker. Maybe some minor manufacturers variance.

But the speakers will be time aligned, phase aligned, level matched, same target curve.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not sure really what you mean but I will try to answer. I expect the transient response to be the same as they are the same model speaker. Maybe some minor manufacturers variance.

But the speakers will be time aligned, phase aligned, level matched, same target curve.
I think he meant separate drivers in each speaker, but then it wouldn't matter because of the thing called crossover

TheLastGerman

I think he meant separate drivers in each speaker, but then it wouldn't matter because of the thing called crossover
Nope, he meant a stack of two complete loudspeakers of the same type per channel. @Impossible: How about doing as you intend? You have a pair of loudspeakers, so you can give your idea a try for one channel. I don't think it will work, but that's just me. I'm looking forward to what you find out ...

Last edited:

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nope, he meant a stack of two complete loudspeakers of the same type per channel. @Impossible: How about doing as you intend? You have a pair of loudspeakers, so you can give your idea a try for one channel. I don't think it will work, but that's just me. I'm looking forward to what you find out ...
lol, it would work but worse than one speaker, I've seen a lot of random setups but this would be in TOP 5

ALex_hha

Are you asking whether you can connect the LS50s directly to the headphone output of the DX9? No way ...
I was referring to Line out XLR/RCA outputs
apos-audio-topping-headphone-dac-amp-topping-dx9-dac-amp-39285707931884_1200x842.jpg

Top Bottom