• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the Amp itself, obviously. I don't run full scale test tones using speakers. :p
OK - that's what confused me. I think most people have reported that the transformer hum is indepedent of output. But that probably more applies to much loser level listening levels.

I can certainly understand how the hum might be ... enhanced ... when outputting full power.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Tried to search this thread and Google for an answer, perhaps I didn't use the right keywords, so here goes...

I'm a long time Foobar2000 user and don't stream. 95% of my library is FLAC, 5% mp3. I currently use an HP mini PC>Topping DAC>integrated amp with my speaker rig, but I would much prefer to simplify that.

My thoughts were to use a 512GB SSD that pulls only 2.1 watts connected to the USB port on the Wiim Amp, and control everything using the WiiM app on an Amazon Fire HD 10. Bad eyes = a need a bigger screen than my phone.

How flexible is the Wiim app in configuring user-defined playlists for content on the USB drive?

My issue is that for all genres other than classical, my playlists are per performing group; one subfolder in a main music folder, with each album a subfolder in the group subfolder.

However, for classical, I prefer to put all works by a composer in a single subfolder/each album a subfolder and just drag that into a composer playlist rather than performer playlist.

How well does the app handle that? I read here that some users have experienced intermittent indexing issues. The folder that contains all my content has close to 15,000 files and 1600 subfolders--is that a problem?

EDIT: Found the link to the app user manual, and if I interpret it correctly, there's no simple way to generate playlists other than accessing each cut and adding it individually. I hope that's not entirely true.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
Is it even possible to connect the SSD directly to the USB input of the Wiim Amp and play audio files from the SSD? :oops:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Is it even possible to connect the SSD directly to the USB input of the Wiim Amp and play audio files from the SSD? :oops:

Yes. The USB input is for memory devices, not an input to the internal DAC from a computer or other source.

An FAQ on the site showed the spec for power available from that port.

1708101530314.png

Reactions: Zek

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Found this on their user forum. Claim is issues with not cataloging all the data have been resolved in a firmware update, but the user who submitted the question implies it;s not fully resolved.

So now my concern is about playlist generation. If I have to drag each cut individually to a playlist, that's an absolute deal breaker.

Zek

Major Contributor
Is it possible to play audio files that are arranged like this: folders - Music; Hi.Res Music, in each folder subfolders with artist name and album name. I usually play the whole album.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Is it possible to play audio files that are arranged like this: folders - Music; Hi.Res Music, in each folder subfolders with artist name and album name. I usually play the whole album.
You got me. I found the user manual for the WiiM app, and it's dated February 2023 and doesn't note anything about the WiiM Amp or USB.

Believe it or not, the WiiM Amp user manual dated October 2023 doesn't even mention "USB". It covers all the streaming sources and other inputs, but when it comes to USB...nada.

Seriously?

ernperkins

There's an interesting thread about USB support at the Wii forums: LINK. From post #95: "As I mentioned above, before Chinese New Year they were testing a new version of the App interface for scanning the USB. So I would suggest wait a week or 2 and see what is release. The TestFlight version I have is better but still a bit buggy."

sejarzo

Forum Donor
There's an interesting thread about USB support at the Wii forums: LINK. From post #95: "As I mentioned above, before Chinese New Year they were testing a new version of the App interface for scanning the USB. So I would suggest wait a week or 2 and see what is release. The TestFlight version I have is better but still a bit buggy."

Yep. Looks like this device and app are way too iffy for me. I know I am old school, but I have visual impairments, which is why I use the same, very basic Foobar UI that I have ever since 2006. That's why my speaker rig is set up with a mini PC, USB DAC, integrated amp, and a 43 inch TV serving as a monitor. I thus use a wireless keyboard with a touchpad to select music and EQ presets, plus the integrated amp's remote for volume. Not very handy, to say the least! I would love to dump all that for something that works with an Android tablet from which I can view playlists the way I want along with controlling volume.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A brief summary/conclusion would be most helpful.
That you will see in the review...
For those of us still learning, is this measuring the amp section or the DAC?
These are absolutely not dissociable... The only analog output of the Amp being the speaker output. The only "analog" input also uses an ADC, and as such the DAC at the end.
How does it compare to the DAC in the Pro Plus?
It's not comparable for the reasons above.

Last edited:

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Erin's review of Wiim Amp

I would agree with Erin's review - it is an amazing product for the a midsize / small room or bedroom with the right speakers - I have it in my second TV room (used to be the kids playroom / tv room) and its great with a pair of Q Acoustics speakers as an alternative to a soundbar.

markalot63

Can someone explain frequency response changes under load? I'm using 8 ohm Boston Acoustic A100's and on House Curve it shows a notable rise above 10K, but I assumed I was using the app or the phone incorrectly.

harkpabst

Can someone explain frequency response changes under load? I'm using 8 ohm Boston Acoustic A100's and on House Curve it shows a notable rise above 10K, but I assumed I was using the app or the phone incorrectly.
With a purely resistive 8 ohm load the transfer function rise is ~0.3.dB at 10 kHz and ~0.6 dB at 20 kHz. This might not be ideal, but it's still close to nothing.

Both, the "simple" and the "complex" reactive loads used in Erin's measurements are somewhat arbitrary chosen, but not to far from typical real-world speakers. Still, the maximum deviation from ideal is <1 dB in all cases.

Obviously, there have been multiple generations of Boston Acoustics A100. What they all have in common is that they are not constantly 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz (no speaker is) and that no measurements can be found on the internet.

If the rise shown by HouseCurve is more than 1 dB, then it's not just the amp. It might be the phone or the speaker itself. If it is less than 1 dB, then don't worry about it.

In any case you might want to limit the frequency range HouseCurve is acting on to less then 10 kHz or better less then 5 kHz upper limit.

Top Bottom