• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 282 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ta240

Major Contributor
I guess their claim to fame is they make high sensitivity speakers! LMAO.
I almost bought a pair of these because of the claimed 95dB sensitivity. Just like the bookshelf Klipsch speakers, I often see these recommended for low power systems.

I don't know what reference Andrew Robinson had to say this about the speaker:
View attachment 319408
That pretty well sets up his credentials.

Competition has little to worry about.
Unfortunately, I think the competition has to worry about the lies both in the specs and in the 'reviews'. How many good speakers with comparable sensitivity get passed up because the customer wants this one with it's "95" over one with an actual "89"? How many people go with this on Robinson's recommendation over something like the Sierra-1 V2 which is only $150 more; or any of the other comparable choices?

ta240

Major Contributor
Some people don't really need financial incentives to "review" something. Hearing the sound of their own voice is incentive enough.

Jim
As a plus, I think rave reviews drive more views because people like knowing about the next 'amazing' product. The formula seems to be to pick a product that either everyone may not have heard about or about one that is suddenly getting a massive amount of rave reviews. If it is the product of the moment people will get your review suggested after they watch their favorite person talk about it. If they can say it is a 'giant killer' or 'punches way outside its class' then all the better; because we all want a bargain.
The other option is to pick an easy target like Bose and attack, those seem to get a lot of views.

Rave reviews also make companies want to send their products if they can hope to get similar comments.

There is really no incentive for reviews that say "It was okay, pretty similar to all the other choices in its price range"

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
What a disservice to the audiophile community. This reviewer does not possess all of the truth in the electro-acoustical universe concerning how loudspeakers should sound - nor do I. I've been blessed to have garnered 18 product of the year awards and it proves I know a thing or two about loudspeakers.

First, a loudspeaker can be designed from a viewpoint of rigid science [what this website looks to be all about] or it can be designed from a viewpoint of art and creativity. In my opinion, a great loudspeaker should have a beautiful balance of science and art. Think of what a mastering engineer could do to a song! A mastering engineer is both an artist and a scientist. Good loudspeaker design must be approached from an identical viewpoint; no different than a mastering engineer producing a track of music - I make the loudspeaker sound exactly how I want it to.

Second, to assume I cannot design and market a 'flat responding' loudspeaker is woefully shortsighted. If I wanted to produce a linear loudspeaker (as the reviewer has turned my design into) I would have done that; my simulator does this task in under 3 seconds. The facts are most audiophiles don't go for the frequency response and corrections the reviewer has suggested. The only linear loudspeaker models we offer are intended for professional studio engineering and they are tools for a toolbox. Changing crossover parts values to flatten the frequency response is a super simple task; my job is to get the speaker sounding right for an audiophile. The problem is most audiophiles don't go for 'scientific sound'; to my ears, it's analytical, sterile, forward in the midrange when turned up, and frankly not much excitement to be discerned. Shipping the Mini Lore with a MiniDSP and a preloaded file converting the Mini Lore into a scientific masterpiece is no more difficult than changing a few values on the crossover.

Anyone wanting an improved version of the Mini Lore pair as the scientific reviewer has suggested my model be changed into is free to call me and I will accommodate your request.

Tekton Design caters to the audiophile community and when two pairs of Mini Lore's were returned in 2023 we must be doing something right with the design.

Respectfully, Eric Alexander - audio designer and owner of Tekton Design, LLC

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
. The problem is most audiophiles don't go for 'scientific sound'; to my ears, it's analytical, sterile, forward in the midrange when turned up, and frankly not much excitement to be discerned. ner of Tekton Design, LLC
@Bozon I think this is a good insight about why neutral is not always what everyone wants like you said. Sometimes it can be boring as per this designer too.

ampguy

What a disservice to the audiophile community. This reviewer does not possess all of the truth in the electro-acoustical universe concerning how loudspeakers should sound - nor do I. I've been blessed to have garnered 18 product of the year awards and it proves I know a thing or two about loudspeakers.

First, a loudspeaker can be designed from a viewpoint of rigid science [what this website looks to be all about] or it can be designed from a viewpoint of art and creativity. In my opinion, a great loudspeaker should have a beautiful balance of science and art. Think of what a mastering engineer could do to a song! A mastering engineer is both an artist and a scientist. Good loudspeaker design must be approached from an identical viewpoint; no different than a mastering engineer producing a track of music - I make the loudspeaker sound exactly how I want it to.

Second, to assume I cannot design and market a 'flat responding' loudspeaker is woefully shortsighted. If I wanted to produce a linear loudspeaker (as the reviewer has turned my design into) I would have done that; my simulator does this task in under 3 seconds. The facts are most audiophiles don't go for the frequency response and corrections the reviewer has suggested. The only linear loudspeaker models we offer are intended for professional studio engineering and they are tools for a toolbox. Changing crossover parts values to flatten the frequency response is a super simple task; my job is to get the speaker sounding right for an audiophile. The problem is most audiophiles don't go for 'scientific sound'; to my ears, it's analytical, sterile, forward in the midrange when turned up, and frankly not much excitement to be discerned. Shipping the Mini Lore with a MiniDSP and a preloaded file converting the Mini Lore into a scientific masterpiece is no more difficult than changing a few values on the crossover.

Anyone wanting an improved version of the Mini Lore pair as the scientific reviewer has suggested my model be changed into is free to call me and I will accommodate your request.

Tekton Design caters to the audiophile community and when two pairs of Mini Lore's were returned in 2023 we must be doing something right with the design.

Hi Eric, it's good to see you on here. There are other forums about whether specs are everything or nothing and all discussion in between. I happen to own the mini-lores (black, on spikes, have grilles but not using them, no other upgrades, and love the sound and vibe of them in a large rectangular room, they're efficient, they have a good soundstage, they work great with all sources (phono, cd, hi res Roon streamer, cassette deck, recording gear line level outs) and while I wouldn't recommend them to all without listening first, I enjoy them a lot. I have other speakers in the same room for other purposes (home theatre 7.2 setup, etc.), but these are great all rounders. I also have a lot of Harmon family, KEFs, home built, and other speakers around the house, as well as headphones so I know how to tune them, but for most purposes, leave them as is, no digital EQ, they're about 4-5 ft from back wall and 20ft or so pointing straight (off axis to sofa), with some room acoustics back wall. Keep doing what you're doing. Measurements aren't all, we now have the technology to make almost any speaker respond flat or to the Harman curve, but variety of sound is great, whether it's in live music or reporoduction in our homes. IMHO.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So would you explain your design philosophy and how you derived at your curve to deemed it audiophile worthy?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Eric Alexander, also can you explain the resonance, while not terrible, certainly not great based on "rigid science."

Was it an intentional part of the design? If so, what was the design reasoning for the resonance?

Would you be willing to send a pair of your highly acclaimed speakers to Amir for further review? If you feel that Amir is bias since he already reviewed one of your speakers, perhaps send a pair to Erin from Erin's Audio Corner, since he has never reviewed any of your speakers (at least not to my knowledge)?

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
So would you explain your design philosophy and how you derived at your curve to deemed it audiophile worthy?
Hi Eric, it's good to see you on here. There are other forums about whether specs are everything or nothing and all discussion in between. I happen to own the mini-lores (black, on spikes, have grilles but not using them, no other upgrades, and love the sound and vibe of them in a large rectangular room, they're efficient, they have a good soundstage, they work great with all sources (phono, cd, hi res Roon streamer, cassette deck, recording gear line level outs) and while I wouldn't recommend them to all without listening first, I enjoy them a lot. I have other speakers in the same room for other purposes (home theatre 7.2 setup, etc.), but these are great all rounders. I also have a lot of Harmon family, KEFs, home built, and other speakers around the house, as well as headphones so I know how to tune them, but for most purposes, leave them as is, no digital EQ, they're about 4-5 ft from back wall and 20ft or so pointing straight (off axis to sofa), with some room acoustics back wall. Keep doing what you're doing. Measurements aren't all, we now have the technology to make almost any speaker respond flat or to the Harman curve, but variety of sound is great, whether it's in live music or reporoduction in our homes. IMHO.
Thanks for letting me know! Happy lisening!

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On second thought, @Eric Alexander, perhaps you can be an ambassador to bridge the "rigid science" audiophile community with the "other" audiophile community. Let's get all of us together as discuss design philosophy and bring everyone together. I think that would be a wonderful thing. Perhaps, do a YouTube video or livestream to discuss all topics related to Tekton's design philosophy and technology employ (such as your patented circular small driver array for midrange) to why your chose your speakers to measure the way they do.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company

@Eric Alexander, also can you explain the resonance, while not terrible, certainly not great based on "rigid science."

Was it an intentional part of the design? If so, what was the design reasoning for the resonance?

Would you be willing to send a pair of your highly acclaimed speakers to Amir for further review? If you feel that Amir is bias since he already reviewed one of your speakers, perhaps send a pair to Erin from Erin's Audio Corner, since he has never reviewed any of your speakers (at least not to my knowledge)?
I'm open to this...

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm open to this...
I believe Erin is also on this forum, can someone tag him?

This is awesome that you are willing to engage every audio community, I look forward to you discussing your design philosophy.

Even more so you are willing to send one of your highly acclaim speakers for another review! I suggest perhaps the Double Impact?

Let's make it happen!

@amirm

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been blessed to have garnered 18 product of the year awards and it proves I know a thing or two about loudspeakers.
Maybe. I'm not sure that necessarily follows given the captured state of the audiophile press. It may just mean you know how to market. I'm sure you can get the FR flat, but can you do it with even directivity and low distortion? It seems like your argument about "what audiophiles like" can be achieved by the aforementioned specs plus equalization to taste. Is that wrong?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
First, a loudspeaker can be designed from a viewpoint of rigid science [what this website looks to be all about] or it can be designed from a viewpoint of art and creativity.
First, warm welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around the answer member questions.

On your point here, sure, we are open to any approach to designing of audio gear. And there is certainly "art" in making proper set of engineering decisions to produce a speaker that is performant and meets its marketing requirements.

If you mean "art" in the sense of anything goes because you thought of it, then we are also open to it as long as you can show the efficacy of it. You can do so from engineering/design point of view, or subjectively through controlled listening tests. You have not offered either so we can't accept your statements as is. After all, every manufacturer claims to be qualified as you, and proud of their design. By that metric we should just quit and praise everything ever built!

We are rather unique audio site in that we have standards of performance. These are based on decades of research into speaker preference and standards on how to measure the same. This way, opinion can be separated from facts.

Finally, I listened to your speaker and it just doesn't sound good. It required a bunch of filters derived from the measurements to make it acceptable, thusly proving the efficacy of the measurements.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And I have tested and listened to 300 speakers from your competitor using proper protocols so I know a thing or two about testing them. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Botched measurements - the loudspeaker was tested on the tweeter axis and the loudspeaker was designed and intended for the listener to be directly on-axis to the 8" driver."

Nothing is botched. In far field listening, the acoustic axis doesn't make much difference. Besides, I am hoping you are not expecting listener ears to be locked in vise on the driver axis. It would also be unusual for the woofer to be reference axis given the fact that most of what it plays is omnidirectional.

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
First, warm welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around the answer member questions.

On your point here, sure, we are open to any approach to designing of audio gear. And there is certainly "art" in making proper set of engineering decisions to produce a speaker that is performant and meets its marketing requirements.

If you mean "art" in the sense of anything goes because you thought of it, then we are also open to it as long as you can show the efficacy of it. You can do so from engineering/design point of view, or subjectively through controlled listening tests. You have not offered either so we can't accept your statements as is. After all, every manufacturer claims to be qualified as you, and proud of their design. By that metric we should just quit and praise everything ever built!

We are rather unique audio site in that we have standards of performance. These are based on decades of research into speaker preference and standards on how to measure the same. This way, opinion can be separated from facts.

Finally, I listened to your speaker and it just doesn't sound good. It required a bunch of filters derived from the measurements to make it acceptable, thusly proving the efficacy of the measurements.
I respect your opinion. Sound is subjective, we all have our own HRTF, and we all have individual needs/expectations. This alone proves the perfect loudspeaker will never be a reality. Furthermore, the Mini Lore is a $375 (delivered) loudspeaker hand-built in the USA. Can we see it for what it is? It's simply a fun loudspeaker for many people; let's try to see the Mini Lore for what it is.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can we see it for what it is? It's simply a fun loudspeaker for many people; let's try to see the Mini Lore for what it is.
So don't measure it against a well-developed set of standards? There are other speakers in the price range that meet these standards better, and customers who agree with these standards can save their money.

Top Bottom