• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kii Seven

songOVERsound

It makes sense if you take a look at the measurements Erin got on the Mesavonic CDM65, which has a similar layout, it is sorta cardiod around 150ish

But considering the price.. I would think that the results are better somehow with the Kii Sevens

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am not sure I would equate price with performance.
Keith

outfaced

For $5K they'd sell like hot cakes
as having insides in production and industry in general ... sometimes you have unproportional cost increase with volume ... so, this has to be analyzed as well. You are always looking for a overall optimum including the whole supply-chain. And sometimes small companies just dont want to go big, because this leads to big change in internal structure.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
There's no drivers on the back to take the cardioid lower.
There is a difference between having cardioid bass - that I agree with you is not achievable here - and being able to go cardioid lower than 200 Hz. The Mesanovic CDM65 is cardioid down to 150 Hz with the same configuration as the Kii 7 and I suspect that the relatively long distance between the side drivers and the front one is an handicap for the CDM65. Best would be to wait for some polars before conclusions.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a difference between having cardioid bass - that I agree with you is not achievable here - and being able to go cardioid lower than 200 Hz. The Mesanovic CDM65 is cardioid down to 150 Hz with the same configuration as the Kii 7 and I suspect that the relatively long distance between the side drivers and the front one is an handicap for the CDM65. Best would be to wait for some polars before conclusions.
Mid crossover is 150Hz on the mesanovic,that's why it can do cardioid to there. 250Hz on the Kii Three , but has the extra drivers of the back. Doubt that they've managed to drop it much below 200Hz on the Seven. But they haven't published the figures.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Mid crossover is 150Hz on the mesanovic,that's why it can do cardioid to there. 250Hz on the Kii Three , but has the extra drivers of the back. Doubt that they've managed to drop it much below 200Hz on the Seven. But they haven't published the figures.
Ok, so you are just shooting in the dark, thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: TSB

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

songOVERsound

Cardioid from 130 hz makes a lot more sense. You could really get them close to the front wall and since the woofers are on the sides, it puts the SBIR dip even higher in frequency the closer you are to the front wall - compared to woofers being on the front of the speaker.

Curious about the plots.. these could save me a ton of studio space. I’m surprised people haven’t pointed out that these are basically near field speakers

songOVERsound

Mea culpa. I pity that midrange thought!
Is this another red herring? What is there to be concerned about the midrange, that you need to tell us? Something of substance to support any claims is not required but will help your situation

Reactions: TSB

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is this another red herring? What is there to be concerned about the midrange, that you need to tell us? Something of substance to support any claims is not required but will help your situation
Merely that it will have to handle more bandwidth. No support needed for that claim. And my situation is not under threat.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
as having insides in production and industry in general ... sometimes you have unproportional cost increase with volume ... so, this has to be analyzed as well. You are always looking for a overall optimum including the whole supply-chain. And sometimes small companies just dont want to go big, because this leads to big change in internal structure.
It all depends on how lumpy the incremental costs of ramping up production are. Could be they have to add capacity to, say, make the cabinets, or maybe the drivers are purchased on lots, and Kii doesn't want to leave unused drivers around in a warehouse as unrecovered costs if there aren't enough orders to fill out a full production run. Suspect they want to be certain they completely sell out every time they make units, and that equates to having higher demand than production capacity. Then again, perhaps the constraint is the extra time and attention they need to fine tune each unit to insure it's up to spec which may require a highly skilled labor force that can't just willy-nilly increase its output.

In any case, they seem like a small lot producer, and they would probably have to revamp entirely the way they do business to produce $5k cardioid Kii Sevens.

songOVERsound

Merely that it will have to handle more bandwidth. No support needed for that claim. And my situation is not under threat.
Can you provide the crossover ranges? I’m having a hard time finding those specs. I was aware that the woofers would be different because there is a completely different layout.. but haven’t seen where the crossovers are in relation to Kii three’s.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It's a 5 inch, it should survive going down 130 Hz, even with the higher energy required by the cardioid ;)
And another missing element in the specs is how loud this thing is playing.

songOVERsound

Since they are pushing the Atmos card, I would think the SPL/THD ratio would be decent since Atmos “requires” a lot of headroom

Top Bottom