• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
@amirm I think Pearljam is actively trying to kill you:
Can you send a pair of 8381 for Amir for a review please ?

Considering:
Screenshot_20231218-232524_Drive.png

:p

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
doesnt amir have the klippel set up on the 2nd floor

and the unit has to be hoisted up on a platform?

and each speaker drive unit requries two amps?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Curvature

Major Contributor
Can you send a pair of 8381 to Amir for a review please ?;)
We need the GLL data. That's more than good enough considering Genelec's other in-house measurements.

@Ilkka Rissanen Please relay this request internally again. I've been consistently checking the 8381A page but have somewhat given up hope that the GLL data will be released.

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
We need the GLL data. That's more than good enough considering Genelec's other in-house measurements.

@Ilkka Rissanen Please relay this request internally again. I've been consistently checking the 8381A page but have somewhat given up hope that the GLL data will be released.
What do you expect to see in the GLL data that isn't already visible in the directivity data that is available? GLL does not contain any maximum SPL or distortion data, if those are what you are after.

Curvature

Major Contributor
What do you expect to see in the GLL data that isn't already visible in the directivity data that is available? GLL does not contain any maximum SPL or distortion data, if those are what you are after.
Horizontal/vertical curves, individual frequency balloons, polars, DI, beamwidth.

Detailed directivity data is interesting in its own way.

We can also generate a CTA-2034 spinorama plot.

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Horizontal/vertical curves, individual frequency balloons, polars, DI, beamwidth.

Detailed directivity data is interesting in its own way.

We can also generate a CTA-2034 spinorama plot.
You can see 99% from these graphs. There isn't anything magical happening beyond the 180 deg planes. The same measurement data is used to create the GLL file, it is not a separate data set.

Btw, isn't this 8361A thread?

1703018532586.png

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
You can see 99% from these graphs. There isn't anything magical happening beyond the 180 deg planes. The same measurement data is used to create the GLL file, it is not a separate data set.

View attachment 335558
I would like to see the detailed measurements in GLL because they are interesting and allow more investigation. And I'm interested because your work is good, and deserves the attention.

What I was hoping in a response from you was a timeline or an acknowledgement that you are still planning to release it.

Your earlier response from May: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-genelec-monitors.44549/page-58#post-1606074

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I always wondered, is such a messy waterfall graph something to worry about in the long term? Looks as if this fuzzyness is the result of all the heavy dsp tuning of the drivers, making them perform far more restrictive than they would in a passive setup. Aren't the resonances in the range +1 khz at least a little worrysome - non-ideal decay?

Curvature

Major Contributor
I always wondered, is such a messy waterfall graph something to worry about in the long term? Looks as if this fuzzyness is the result of all the heavy dsp tuning of the drivers, making them perform far more restrictive than they would in a passive setup. Aren't the resonances in the range +1 khz at least a little worrysome - non-ideal decay?
This waterfall plot?

I want to point out that instead of telling yourself "I don't know" and just asking, you are inventing reasons.

The messiness is because the graph is not anechoic. The low frequencies are noise in Amir's garage, and the rest are related to resonances of Klippel fixture.

Amir does a poor job of presenting this plot, using inconsistent axes and 3D position/rotation, and furthermore he is aware of Klippel resonances, but never distinguishes between them and speaker resonances in his commentary or labels. I generally ignore it. If there are actual speaker issues they show up in the on and off-axis curves.

index.php

Top Bottom