• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So to what length do we want to go to measure this speaker? Assuming Genelec is willing, I would need a professional crew to help unpack and load it up on NFS platform. I will likely need to build a crane to hang the thing from the ceiling, etc. Let's say we are talking $1,000 for this. Genelec of course would have to chip in with shipping which will cost near this. Do we think it is worth going through such an expense and effort for something that almost none of you will buy?

I'd chip in to help get this thing measured. It seems there are a couple people in this thread looking at a potential purchase.

Newman

Major Contributor
He'd have to quit his job if he would answer all of the questions :)
Gee I asked 2 questions. And what do the words, “…shoot us with the questions you can't see being answered by viewing the product page or the product brochure. We are here to serve you” mean to you? And I only asked him to start at the beginning, not get to the end…;)

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can you show any independent research validating this claim? Including the point at which further reductions are inaudible, please?
I am not aware of any independent research, but perhaps @Thomas Lund can chime in as he is our resident expert on this subject. The claim I made is based on our internal listening tests, as well as many customer experiences while listening The Ones monitors with linearized phase response.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not aware of any independent research, but perhaps @Thomas Lund can chime in as he is our resident expert on this subject. The claim I made is based on our internal listening tests, as well as many customer experiences while listening The Ones monitors with linearized phase response.

Actually he had replied already:

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
Jens Blauert did the foundational research for audibility thresholds in this area, although I'm sure Lund will have more contemporary sources.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But they don't have the extra 4 mids and the new coaxial driver So a smaller 8381 with 10-12 inch woofers makes sense
They don't because they don't need them, specifically because they're smaller. Like the compression driver in 8381 is there, because of the high headroom, not because it's better than the tweeter in 83x1. This is a studio monitor company and they are engineered as such, materials, engineering and approach are employed with very specific utilitarian goals. There's no point in using 4 midrange speakers if they're not necessary for a given headroom requirement, as there's no point in making the full aluminium cabinet just because it would look good in marketing materials.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks for responding!

Thomas has already responded and neither he nor you seem to be familiar with any independent research to validate your claim.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thanks for responding!

Thomas has already responded and neither he nor you seem to be familiar with any independent research to validate your claim.
That's a little harsh I'd say

Newman

Major Contributor
I’m just summarising the responses I received.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Reddoc I would not put it past Genelec to have made their new system just a little bit louder compared to their lower-priced system.
That’s quite an accusation. Please explain why you wouldn’t put that past Genelec. Are you privy to previous deceptions by them?
What would they have to gain by gaming their own blind testing?

Hephaestus

Can you show any independent research validating this claim? Including the point at which further reductions are inaudible, please?

This study was carried out by Aalto University acoustic researchers with Genelec.

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks but they don’t relate to preference and music. The claim that I am asking for independent research on is a claim for “better sounding” ie preference. Including the ‘inaudibility of preference’ threshold.

Top Bottom