• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On one hand, oooh.

On the other, surprised it took them this long.

Maybe the 6.5/7" 2-way isn't the mainstay in studio audio that it is in home hifi? Either way, this might end up being a good "crossover" product for them if priced well.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Suppose these would come at the same price point as Genelec 8340’s.

Then that would get you a speaker with similar driver sizes, and the option to apply EQ without the need for an additional measurement/connection kit. Is that correct?

If so, what would be reasons to expect them to be cheaper nonetheless?

heraldo_jones

On one hand, oooh.

On the other, surprised it took them this long.

Maybe the 6.5/7" 2-way isn't the mainstay in studio audio that it is in home hifi? Either way, this might end up being a good "crossover" product for them if priced well.
Most of the studio users tend to buy 6.5/7", only home studio users buy 5" or so.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, this was a kind of predecessor of the KH150 - the Klein & Hummel O200 (built between 2002 and 2006):

1651132292463.png

1651132317051.png

1651132338842.png

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It shouldn't cost a lot despite the DSP
It's the same old drivers, cabinet is the same, should cost as much as 8040

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It shouldn't cost a lot despite the DSP
It's the same old drivers, cabinet is the same, should cost as much as 8040
Which same old drivers and cabinets are you talking about??? Its a completely new construction and bigger than the KH120 which is 5".

Also why should it cost less than the 8340 which is the Genelec DSP equivalent? I also hope it wouldn't cost more than the 8040 but that is more personal wishful thinking.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Which same old drivers and cabinets are you talking about??? Its a completely new construction and bigger than the KH120 which is 5".

Also why should it cost less than the 8340 which is the Genelec DSP equivalent? I also hope it wouldn't cost more than the 8040 but that is more personal wishful thinking.
Cabinet design is the same, just bigger, how hard is it to make? It's not something new from the ground up.
Tweeter is the same, woofer could be new.

Slyman

Damn excited by this. I've decided to buy the KH80+MA 1 as the first thing when i get a job and first salary and then later add the 750 sub. Depending on these i might be able to be sufficient without a sub or atleast use them quite a while before i gotta drop money for a sub (home music studio).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cabinet design is the same, just bigger, how hard is it to make? It's not something new from the ground up.
Tweeter is the same, woofer could be new.
You don't just go to CAD and put a magnifying factor, waveguide will be different, ports will be different, internal bracing will be different, new moulding tools must be built. With your logic any product successor or extension shouldn't cost anything... :facepalm: Also woofer of course will be new as they don't have currently one in that range, possibly even the tweeter, or how do you know that it is definitely the same?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You don't just go to CAD and put a magnifying factor, waveguide will be different, ports will be different, internal bracing will be different, new moulding tools must be built. With your logic any product successor or extension shouldn't cost anything... :facepalm: Also woofer of course will be new as they don't have currently one in that range, possibly even the tweeter, or how do you know that it is definitely the same?
It looks the same

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks the same
Seeing in a rough video a metal dome behind a mesh doesn't necessarily mean they are the same. Even if we had a look inside of the pure tweeters and they would look the same that wouldn't necessarily mean they have the same parameters or even engineering.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I thought they were going to slowly add DSP to the entire range, now they have to add both DSP and AES the entire range. :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What a shockingly poor understanding of what is required to design and manufacture the cabinet.

How hard are they to make? Give it a shot yourself, see how far you get.
Ok
But take the Genelec 8000 series for example
Are they all the same just different sizes? Basically yes
It's not an radical new design that's my basic point, it's an enlarged KH120

Scgorg

Agree on all points, but it's worth noting that Neumann, last I checked, use the same tweeter for all their models. Seems likely that it will be the same for this model. That tweeter really is excellent, and they probably get it for a very nice price considering the scale.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok
We are all speculating ... True. You just take it to another level... ;)

Peace

OP
M

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok

I'll just reiterate, give it a shot and see how far you get. You make it sound like they hop in the 3d design program they used, and just selected a corner of the model and stretched it out to make a bigger speaker.

Reactions: TSB

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree on all points, but it's worth noting that Neumann, last I checked, use the same tweeter for all their models. Seems likely that it will be the same for this model. That tweeter really is excellent, and they probably get it for a very nice price considering the scale.
Yes, I know that it is currently the same one, although at some time the point will come they will replace it with a different one, may it be due to even better engineering/measurements or due to availability.

Top Bottom