• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150 or KH120+KH750 for my requirements/room?

dickiefunk

IMG_4357.jpeg
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my monitoring in my studio. I mix a wide selection of acoustic music from solo classical vocals and piano to choirs, jazz trios/quartets, acoustic pop/rock and gospel.
My room is 3.5m x 3m and is an odd slightly shaped space. Also, I am limited to layout and speaker positioning.
At the moment I’m using Neumann KH120’s and a EVE TS108 sub with a bodged together DIY desk.
Both the KH120’s and the EVE sub sound great but I have to put the sub in the corner of my room and no matter what settings I’ve tried, it sounds separate to the KH120’s and certain frequencies sound very boomy!
As part of a studio overhaul, I’m getting a new desk and have attached a picture below. When I get this I am planning to try my Eve sub somewhere underneath this desk to hear if this improves the overall integration of my speakers.
The KH120’s sound more accurate and reliable by themselves for mixing. I use the Eve sub for tracking V-drums and bass players who like to hear themselves quite loudly through the monitors. It also gets used when I want to listen to music full range for enjoyment and the sub can be useful for referencing sub bass between different reference tracks.

I’m considering changing my KH120’s and Eve sub for a pair of KH150’s due them having more low end than my KH120’s and the ability to use the MA1 system. Alternatively, I’m considering changing the Eve sub for the KH750sub and use the MA1 but I’m not sure a sub would work to well in my room for accuracy partly due to it having to be placed under my new desk?
Sadly I don’t have the budget to have both options here to compare how they perform in my room.

What would you recommend?

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
With a separat sub one can better control the room modes. So KH120 plus 750. And definitely get MA1 because those speakers are meant to be used with it with their built in DSP.

OP
D

dickiefunk

With a separat sub one can better control the room modes. So KH120 plus 750. And definitely get MA1 because those speakers are meant to be used with it with their built in DSP.
I’m quite limited to where I can place the sub and it will have to go underneath the desk.
Would this still be a better option?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I’m quite limited to where I can place the sub and it will have to go underneath the desk.
Would this still be a better option?
Yeah with this small room no sub and the KH150 could work well too.

BTW. Did you EQ your sub to take out the room modes? Did it still sound boomy?

OP
D

dickiefunk

Yeah with this small room no sub and the KH150 could work well too.

BTW. Did you EQ your sub to take out the room modes? Did it still sound boomy?
The Eve sub doesn't have it's own individual eq. It only has the crossover points for the satellites.

OP
D

dickiefunk

I’ve read that having two subs can improve the bass smoothness throughout your room. However, I don’t have space for this and will be limited to placing a sub underneath the desk.
Still not sure whether to sell my current KH120’s + Eve sub for a single pair of KH150’s or replace my Eve sub for the Neumann KH750 to use with my existing KH120’s?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I’ve read that having two subs can improve the bass smoothness throughout your room. However, I don’t have space for this and will be limited to placing a sub underneath the desk.
Still not sure whether to sell my current KH120’s + Eve sub for a single pair of KH150’s or replace my Eve sub for the Neumann KH750 to use with my existing KH120’s?
Either keep what you have or get the KH750 in order to make use of MA1 room EQ with your KH120s.

Assuming you have a small room but you listen pretty much always in the same spot, multiple subs are not really working. (With multiple subs you can create good coverage in multiple seating positions like Home Theaters).

unpluggged

DearSX

I had the KH120 and its a great little speaker, very good bass for most music, the KH150 must have amazing bass! You can always add a sub later if you want more low end.

Top Bottom