• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For neumann kh150 with subwoofer, is rythmik l12 good or svs sb1000pro suitable?

sysfc6

For neumann kh150 with subwoofer, is rythmik l12 good or svs sb1000pro suitable??????????????:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

QQ图片20230727213438.png
e30322dc9b32d286.jpg

nat1

If you have other means of implementing bass management then either of those options are good and generally better than the Neumanns own KH750

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

If you have other means of implementing bass management then either of those options are good and generally better than the Neumanns own KH750
Which one is better? ? Please be specific.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the L12's with LS50's. they have a single PEQ which helps a lot but is difficult to adjust. Some SVS subs have DSP and 3 PEQ. SVS has more latency, but that might be a better match for the kh150 which is also DSP and likely to have a similar latency.

nat1

Which one is better? ? Please be specific.
I don't think there are CEA-2010 numbers of the Rythmik L12 to directly compare distortion numbers and such, but they're both similarly sized 12 inch sealed boxes with ~300W amplification, there's probably very little real world difference. I think it's better to focus on cost, which one has the features/inputs you want, warranty etc.

The Rythmik does have direct servo technology which they claim lowers distortion and makes the sound more "musical" whatever that means. I've never used one so I can't really say

you may get better performance , but if you choose a subwoofer from another brand, you'll need a multichannel dac &some software on your computer (eq apo or dirac live bass control etc.) to align.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
"generally better" means what exactly? The Neumann sub and the sats blend perfectly right out of the box even without MA1.

Joaquinín

I recommend Dirac Live Bass Control strongly. In my case, it is installed in the PC which feeds a Topping DM7 multichannel DAC. The sound of a pair of Neumann's Kh-80 (in the nearfield, far from the walls) with one Monolith 10v2 (placed centered behind them, close to the wall) is incredible. Monolith 10v2 is a more powerful sub than Neumann's Kh-750, and much cheaper.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you may get better performance , but if you choose a subwoofer from another brand, you'll need a multichannel dac &some software on your computer (eq apo or dirac live bass control etc.) to align.
Not necessarily. Nearly all powered subs have a low pass filter and the KH150 has boundary control which provides some degree of a high pass filter otherwise called bass management. There's a good chance it will be just fine with a 2 channel DAC, especially if the crossover point is no higher than 80Hz.

Trell

Major Contributor
I have the L12's with LS50's. they have a single PEQ which helps a lot but is difficult to adjust. Some SVS subs have DSP and 3 PEQ. SVS has more latency, but that might be a better match for the kh150 which is also DSP and likely to have a similar latency.
The KH 150 have less than 2.6 ms latency according to specs, and the SVS SB1000 Pro have 6 ms according to this posts: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/latency-on-svs-sb-1000-pro.124469/#post-1534472

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
Thank you for the numbers. In that case the L12's would be a better choice because their latency is around 3 ms. I can't give you a link but one of the members here measured them.
The KH 150 have an adjustable delay range that is useful here, but I don’t know if one has to buy the MA 1 kit to set it. Perhaps the MA 1 software can be used without the microphone.

1690470943363.png

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Trell I'd bet the MA-1 is needed. It's easily worth another $300 when buying a $4k pair of monitors.

dfuller

Major Contributor

nat1

"generally better" means what exactly? The Neumann sub and the sats blend perfectly right out of the box even without MA1.
Generally better means more output and less distortion? Afaik the 750DSP has a 4th order 80hz high pass filter just like almost every other studio subwoofer, there's nothing special about the way it blends with other Neumann monitors. It has a flat response which is nice, but that is irrelevant anyway once it's in your room.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recommend Dirac Live Bass Control strongly. In my case, it is installed in the PC which feeds a Topping DM7 multichannel DAC. The sound of a pair of Neumann's Kh-80 (in the nearfield, far from the walls) with one Monolith 10v2 (placed centered behind them, close to the wall) is incredible. Monolith 10v2 is a more powerful sub than Neumann's Kh-750, and much cheaper.
I'd take the Monolith over both of them as well without seeing the LV measurements as the Monolith will have the lowest distortion at higher playback levels, less than 3% from 20 to 100hz at 90db, not that the SVS is bad. Moving up to the 12" lowers the distortion even more.

Last edited:

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would clearly go with the Neumann Subwoofers (two of them bought one after the other if necessary and/or second hand) align everything with the mandatory MA1 and call it a day.

The result should be SOTA and I wouldn't ask myself each and every day, if I am missing something :)

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Generally better means more output and less distortion? Afaik the 750DSP has a 4th order 80hz high pass filter just like almost every other studio subwoofer, there's nothing special about the way...
I have these and the KH120 as m desktop system. It's just plug and play. No fiddling with delay or level.

Sure they are limited as to level. But so are the 150s. If you want the setup to play (extremely) loud, look somewhere else. You can get there much cheaper.

I do not see why one would spend 3 grand on one of the most excellent nearfield monitors that are part of a system just to spoil that with a component that does not really fit.

nat1

I have these and the KH120 as m desktop system. It's just plug and play. No fiddling with delay or level.

Sure they are limited as to level. But so are the 150s. If you want the setup to play (extremely) loud, look somewhere else. You can get there much cheaper.

I do not see why one would spend 3 grand on one of the most excellent nearfield monitors that are part of a system just to spoil that with a component that does not really fit.

Even Neumann themselves suggest a single KH 750 is insufficient for a pair of KH150's. It doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with extremely loud volumes either, as that entirely depends on listening distance.

I don't really see it as spoiling the system, how can choosing a superior subwoofer spoil it just because it doesn't have a Neumann badge? You could get a pair of SB1000 Pros or Rythmik L12's for the price of one KH750DSP. It seems insane to me to choose the KH 750 DSP if you have other means of doing bass management i.e a miniDSP.

Trell

Major Contributor
Even Neumann themselves suggest a single KH 750 is insufficient for a pair of KH150's. It doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with extremely loud volumes either, as that entirely depends on listening distance.

I don't really see it as spoiling the system, how can choosing a superior subwoofer spoil it just because it doesn't have a Neumann badge? You could get a pair of SB1000 Pros or Rythmik L12's for the price of one KH750DSP. It seems insane to me to choose the KH 750 DSP if you have other means of doing bass management i.e a miniDSP.

The Neumann have a glaring gap in the subwoofer line-up with DSP so they recommend two smaller ones instead of a bigger one. Genelec have a much wider selection of subwoofers.

Do note that the KH 150+KH 750 with Neumann MA-1 do much more than just bass management, like room EQ, along with integration of the monitor with subwoofer.

Top Bottom