• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

JPrufrk

Re. RCA to TRS conversion, since there were some questions and hand-wringing back a while in this thread including questions about making your own cable, I got to thinking about it for no particular reason, and...wouldn't an RCA to 1/4" mono adapter or cable work just fine? i.e. T=+, R=- and S=GND for TRS, right? So, a mono 1/4" plug would short the ring to sleeve at the amp (hence, - to GND). The adapter or cable would then connect this R+S to the RCA GND and connect T to the single-ended RCA signal, no? Just curious, and this might help others out here if it works. If not, why not?

Wirrunna

Topping could compliment the PA5 with an unbalanced RCA plug analog to balanced TRS by modifying their D10 balanced output DAC to accept analog in via RCA plugs in place of the S/PDIF outputs. A switch to select input would have to be added, power would still be from the USB so that if used only for unbalanced analog to balanced analog the USB would still be needed to be plugged into a charger.

xrk971

Audio Company
Yeah that makes sense.
Also, not all Class D amps are quiet at the tens of uV level like this one and you would hear a hiss like sound from the sub harmonics of the carrier switching frequency. For headphones, pure a Class A is the way to go because not much power is needed so the heat dissipation is not as much an issue.

Topping makes a mean Class AB headphone amp for peanuts too. It’s been tested on ASR and is one of the top headphone amps rated by ASR. The L30 uses the TPA6120A2 Class AB chip in a composite amp. Very nice headphone amp.

index.php

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Also, not all Class D amps are quiet at the tens of uV level like this one and you would hear a hiss like sound from the sub harmonics of the carrier switching frequency. For headphones, pure a Class A is the way to go because not much power is needed so the heat dissipation is not as much an issue.

Topping makes a mean Class AB headphone amp for peanuts too. It’s been tested on ASR and is one of the top headphone amps rated by ASR. The L30 uses the TPA6120A2 Class AB chip in a composite amp. Very nice headphone amp.

index.php
That's the headphone amp I use. Very happy with it too :D

xrk971

Audio Company
Re. RCA to TRS conversion, since there were some questions and hand-wringing back a while in this thread including questions about making your own cable, I got to thinking about it for no particular reason, and...wouldn't an RCA to 1/4" mono adapter or cable work just fine? i.e. T=+, R=- and S=GND for TRS, right? So, a mono 1/4" plug would short the ring to sleeve at the amp (hence, - to GND). The adapter or cable would then connect this R+S to the RCA GND and connect T to the single-ended RCA signal, no? Just curious, and this might help others out here if it works. If not, why not?
Yes this would work, but depending on how the input stage circuitry is wired, you may be using only half of the amp as it grounds one half of a bridged output amp in the worst case, or not fully using the common mode noise rejection feature afforded by balanced line inputs. If the circuitry performed a balanced to single ended conversion internally, and then back to balanced output to drive the amp internally, then this would still be utilizing both sides of the balanced amp’s output. Since it has a volume pot, I suspect this is true as a volume control would most naturally be done on a single ended signal vs requiring a quad gang pot (which is expensive and hard to keep balanced). The easy way to give this amp SE input is to use an RCA to TS adapter. It shorts the ring and the sleeve together.

For example:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My amp shipped out from APOS on Monday. I just hope it doesn’t end up sitting on a ship anchored somewhere off the L.A. Harbor!
Uuhhh nice, I will order right away at shenzhenaudio. Hope it arrives around christmas as latest.

1638522078435.png

Maciekw

Tak, to by działać, ale w celu zapewnienia, że, jak okablowano, mogą być obsługiwane, mogą być obsługiwane, mogą być używane, mogą być konfigurowane, gdy ma miejsce, gdy ma miejsce, gdy mają być wzmacniacze w najgorszym przypadku, lub nie w celu wykorzystania funkcji tłumienia prądów, w celu zapewnienia, że zapewnione jest zbalansowane połączenie liniowe . Jeśli obwody wykonałyby wewnętrznie konwersję zbalansowaną na single-ended, a następnie z powrotem do zbalansowanego wyjścia, aby wewnętrznie wysterować wzmacniacz, to nadal będzie wykorzystywało obie strony zbalansowanego wyjścia wzmacniacza. Ponieważ ma ma kolejkę to jeszcze, ponieważ masz jeszcze, że masz na kolejkometrem jako odbiorcy, ponieważ ma jeszcze… 00 00: 00:11:11:I jest kolejka do dalszego w równowadze. Prostym sposobem na zapewnienie zapewnienia SE tego wzmacniacza jest leczeniem przejściówki RCA na TS. Zwiera razem razem i rękaw.

Na przykład:

Yes this would work, but depending on how the input stage circuitry is wired, you may be using only half of the amp as it grounds one half of a bridged output amp in the worst case, or not fully using the common mode noise rejection feature afforded by balanced line inputs. If the circuitry performed a balanced to single ended conversion internally, and then back to balanced output to drive the amp internally, then this would still be utilizing both sides of the balanced amp’s output. Since it has a volume pot, I suspect this is true as a volume control would most naturally be done on a single ended signal vs requiring a quad gang pot (which is expensive and hard to keep balanced). The easy way to give this amp SE input is to use an RCA to TS adapter. It shorts the ring and the sleeve together.

For example:
A quadruple potentiometer does not preclude an input using a differential amplifier. If the input was, for example, an OPA1632 then
such a potentiometer would make sense and using an RCA to mono jack adapter we could use the full functionality of the amplifier.
I suspect, however, that the input is just two opamps acting as a preamplifier for signals in phase and in counterphase.
And using an adapter, at most we will get 1/4 of the nominal power along with higher even distortion. Simply the part of the bridge amplifier that is responsible for amplifying the signal in counterphase will not work.

Paco De Lucia

All we need now is a more powerful version for bigger speakers and i would order one immediately. Topping is very impressive, I have the DX3 pro+ which is amazing so far, the best imagining pre amp i have owned, just waiting for the 200w per channel amp !

Maciekw

Bought a week ago, the amplifier is already on my desk. First listening on LS3/5a high impedance 15 ohm clones. Wow. In fact, it gives the impression of being completely transparent. Unfortunately, I have to buy an XLR to TRS adapter to put this amplifier in my main system with big speakers.

Attachments

• 20211203_111632.jpg
    20211203_111632.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 266

anphex

Forum Donor
All we need now is a more powerful version for bigger speakers and i would order one immediately. Topping is very impressive, I have the DX3 pro+ which is amazing so far, the best imagining pre amp i have owned, just waiting for the 200w per channel amp !
Big doesn't equal bad efficiency. I am sure the PA5 could easily drive those too, just not extreme levels.

Kaval

Does anyone know what chip (TPA3255 or MA12070 or any other) is used in PA5?

merelyok

I’m currently using the PA5 ( source being a D90SE ) , powering my JBL L100 classics. The sound is crystal clear with plenty of power. I’m happy to report that there is absolutely no hiss or interference from my speakers. It is dead quiet with my ear next to the tweeter. An inky black background in audiophile garble i suppose.

The topping combination provides a very neutral, see-through sound that is very enjoyable. It does really help one “see” into the recording without detracting from the usual audiophile tropes of speed, transparency, detail and bass slam ( if it’s in the recording that is ).

I reckon topping could have fooled us all if they placed the amplifier in a larger, more intricate case with large shiny buttons and charged four times the cost and it would still sell. Pretty glad they didn’t do that. I look forward to the higher end power amplifier that is in the works.

What a time to be an audiophile!

misterdog

Papaya_X

I’m currently using the PA5 ( source being a D90SE ) , powering my JBL L100 classics.
Bought a week ago, the amplifier is already on my desk.
You guys don't mind to open it and see what kind of Chipset is driving these amp ?
Kindly asking, but no problem if you don't want to. I'll do it anyway when I will receive mine

TheWalkman

1638530564010.jpeg

Is that an Altar to the Audio Gods? I can almost hear the votives and smell the incense burning…

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
I’m currently using the PA5 ( source being a D90SE ) , powering my JBL L100 classics. The sound is crystal clear with plenty of power. I’m happy to report that there is absolutely no hiss or interference from my speakers. It is dead quiet with my ear next to the tweeter. An inky black background in audiophile garble i suppose.
Have you done the test with very good recordings (and DR> 12 dB) of acoustic and / or electrified instruments? ¿Orchestral recordings?

In other words, violins sound like violins or violas?

Paco De Lucia

View attachment 169864
Is that an Alter to the Audio Gods? I can almost hear the votives and smell the incense burning…
Oh no I have been discovered haha. Those speakers offer an almost religious experience when they are turned up high enough ))) I'm very lucky to be their custodian

Paco De Lucia

Yes, i'm running them with a 55wpc class D now, but it does go into protection mode on enthusiastic days

Top Bottom