• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

SwampYankee

Speaking in this manner, Hegel is still nothing. You will have to look after something like this, more expensive in orders

Right, Hegel customers are probably not running dedicated 100 amp service lines to their equipment racks...but they're also not interested in what Aiyima is presenting for 2022.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All decent amplifiers sound the same if used within their usable power limits, just add this one to the list of amps that sound the same. What do I think can actually differentiate an integrated amplifier beyond power handling?
  • DSP / EQ / Room Correction capabilities
  • Related to 1, subwoofer controls include high pass and low pass
  • Connectivity, especially implementing HDMI ARC for ease of integration with TVs
  • Streaming media support and ease of use
For me, these are all much more important to building a modern and complete product than the SINAD wars. I'm much more interested in the things that will impact in-room measurements after the loudspeaker and the usability of the device.

As far as I can tell, none of the measurements for this device would have any influence on what I actually hear and if I were to ask Hegel to invest R&D for the next version it would be to add DSP instead of improving distortion. But after being crucified in a popular forum, they will probably be forced to put their energy into lowering distortion instead :rolleyes:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once again: we are using standardized THX gain level for an amplifier which is 29 dB. That is the only gain setting I test an amplifier at. Whether input is digital or analog, it is tested at the same gain level.
I don’t see why people are contesting the amp portion, you achieved the spec they give (>80dB SINAD, 25W, 8ohm).

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
Once upon a time there was a little Amp from the North Europa. Not a real champ per se, more a do it all what ever you call. He loved to play the most beautifully made music just like that. Digital or analog no matter what. Nobody could resit a little dance around him and his Harmonic speaker friends. One cold November morning a stranger came into town, his name was Audiprec and he started telling stories about this horrible decease called Sinad that already killed many beautiful amps. Amps that gave so many people the joy and fun of listening to beautiful music. Audiprec told that every amp in town needed to be tested before the decease would spread any further. And so it happened the little amp from the North Had a bad case of Sinad and was expelled from town. From that day on nobody ever listened or danced to music the way they did with the little amp from the North. Or was it ?

bravomail

u gotta choose ur premium
a) premium price, looks, utub reviews
or
b) premium measurements

Geert

Major Contributor
What do I think can actually differentiate an integrated amplifier beyond power handling?
  • Connectivity, especially implementing HDMI ARC for ease of integration with TVs
For me, these are all much more important to building a modern and complete product than the SINAD wars. I'm much more interested in the things that will impact in-room measurements after the loudspeaker and the usability of the device.
Or in short: NAD M10. Gives Hegel a nice target to beat.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All decent amplifiers sound the same if used within their usable power limits, just add this one to the list of amps that sound the same. What do I think can actually differentiate an integrated amplifier beyond power handling?

As far as I can tell, none of the measurements for this device would have any influence on what I actually hear and if I were to ask Hegel to invest R&D for the next version it would be to add DSP instead of improving distortion. But after being crucified in a popular forum, they will probably be forced to put their energy into lowering distortion instead :rolleyes:
The Harman Kardon Citation Amp (~€600) has all the ingredients to cover your list. However, as usual and not unexpectedly, Harman have screwed up more than a few thing :facepalm:. Heat is a problem (see this post), and even though its has DSP and it is used for tone controls and sub-out low pass, I don't know if (i.e. I don't think) they include high pass for the mains, nor do they include a few PEQs.

HK Citation.PNG

This amp uses the Axign controller, and Axign has claimed they worked with Harman during its development and the amp achieved -100 dB SINAD from digital input to speaker output. It is rated at 125 W @ 8 ohms (0.05% THD+N) and 200 W @ 4 ohms. It does Chromcast and AirPlay and has an HDMI input and an RCA analog input.

My hope is that the Citation Amp will become a target for others (Topping, SMSL, etc. are you listening?) to aim to beat.

dshreter

Or in short: NAD M10. Gives Hegel a nice target to beat.
I completely agree. It's $500 more expensive, but if I was going to plunk down this kind of money for an integrated M10 makes a lot more sense to get a complete product. That's the right feature set in my eyes.

Robert C

I wonder how their more expensive models measure. Alan Shaw at Harbeth uses Hegel amps regularly, and he's always banging on about measurements/etc

dshreter

I wonder how their more expensive models measure. Alan Shaw at Harbeth uses Hegel amps regularly, and he's always banging on about measurements/etc
This Alan Shaw? https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/threads/devi-and-harbeth-anyone.2029/
However, my position about the sonics of amplifiers has not shifted an inch, namely that under controlled conditions they cannot be told apart, assuming that they measure equally flat. What intrigues me is that during the years that HUG has been running we've cycled through several must-have amplifier group-think wind-ups, each of which has been ultimately usurped by a new Emperor. As I recall, we started out with Sugden; are we now in our post-NAIM era?

It really is beyond rational comprehension why there is this barmy belief in amplifiers, that they have a meaningful impact on the fidelity of music beyond the technical standard they reached in the 1970s. This forum simply cannot be used as a marketing channel for the latest fashion in amps which we on the inside know is the use to which canny marketeers put social media.

In our view, the overarching criteria in the selection of a new amplifier is who will provide proper after care remembering that every power amp operates in the micrometer safety zone between controlled power and total speaker destruction deep inside the transistors themselves. A look at the vendor's filed accounts will give you a good insight into how they are positioned for the long run and what resources they can draw on, and this tends towards favouring well established, larger brands perhaps of Japanese origin where they have significant R&D facilities to thoroughly examine long term durability. If your speakers are destroyed by your amp, this will be a very expensive repair.

Now I know that those who must believe in, have a deep unfulfilled psychological urge to seek comfort in the miracle of amplifier sonics simply cannot, will not contemplate the ugly reality that they are in love with the concept of amplifiers and not the sound. But under controlled conditions broadly comparable amplifiers cannot be distinguised at all, and to the best of my knowledge, there has not been a single instance where amplifier sonics have been proven under controlled conditions in the past 30 years or so. Not even between tube and transistor amps!

Geert

Major Contributor
I completely agree. It's $500 more expensive, but if I was going to plunk down this kind of money for an integrated M10 makes a lot more sense to get a complete product. That's the right feature set in my eyes.
And the NAD M10 is Roon ready, something Hegel is still working on. Hegel has pioneered the streaming amplifier (together with Simaudio Moon), but somehow they've lost their head start. Except for the people who believe in the brand's sound superiority of course.

D

Deleted member 40010

I would agree it is a design error but only when the line-out is used in ways it was not intended to be used. It does not happen in normal usage nor when other Hegel amps or sensitive SWers are used.
The word line-out on the back is incorrect (fail by Hegel) and the assumption an undistorted 2V would be available is very logical. This, besides the stupid way Hegel implemented it, is confounded by the third stupidity of Hegel which does not specify the output levels.

It's a fail in many ways ... but... when used as intended (so not as a separate DAC with 2.4V out at 100% volume) it is much less of a fail is what I am trying to convey.
Agree entirely. The measurements taken from the DAC output (which Hegel measured, rather than from the line out the Amir did) I’d like to believe are closer to the claimed figures. The amp specs were measured and align with the claimed figures by Hegel.

In the end it looks like the poor implementation of the line out (where the DAC measurements were taken and are more than likely not representative of the actual DAC performance) is the only issue. The method of testing has also been reasonably questioned (-24db gain etc and volume at max which probably doesn’t represent a real world use case). The testing results of Soundstage network also tell a different story.

This device isn’t clear cut rubbish as many people claim IMO.

I own one. I think it sounds very nice. I don’t use the line out so no impact on me. Hegel’s suggestion to audition yourself I think is fine. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

If you’ve got one and are extremely unhappy now, think about the points of above - a lot of people have jumped on to crucify the amp on the assumption that the line out measurements under these specific test conditions represents the actual DAC performance.

arcy

Is really SINAD the name of the game? Is it really that simple? Hard to imagine all those companies not being able to pull almost anything they would want for the money they charge. Maybe there is a little more to the sound than just SINAD. Why not stick with Amazon Link or March Audio P122 with 100 sinad for 600$ and call a day? Why Herbeth, Keff, Dynaudio, and other companies use Hegel to present/develop their speakers? Are they that stupid to not know?

Also here are two reviews one prising Hegel H90 and the other not liking H390 sound but they both speak about common Hegel sound characteristics (pitch-black background and instrument popping out of that background etc.). So it seems Hegel might sound at least somewhat different than other amps:

a guy who like Hegel sound

this guy doesn't like Hegel

Ken1951

There must be a virtual bridge somewhere close to this site based upon the number of under-bridge-dwelling denizens appearing.

NDRQ

Is really SINAD the name of the game? Is it really that simple? Hard to imagine all those companies not being able to pull almost anything they would want for the money they charge. Maybe there is a little more to the sound than just SINAD. Why not stick with Amazon Link or March Audio P122 with 100 sinad for 600$ and call a day? Why Herbeth, Keff, Dynaudio, and other companies use Hegel to present/develop their speakers? Are they that stupid to not know?

Also here are two reviews one prising Hegel H90 and the other not liking H390 sound but they both speak about common Hegel sound characteristics (pitch-black background and instrument popping out of that background etc.). So it seems Hegel might sound at least somewhat different than other amps:

They not stupid, they are actually smart.
They know that they can make money without the cost of real engineering, only need some marketing bullsht and people will buy.

arcy

There must be a virtual bridge somewhere close to this site based upon the number of under-bridge-dwelling denizens appearing.
Just like you Apple Dongle guy - there need to be a balance in the conversation.
:facepalm:

D

Deleted member 40010

I joined the forum only yesterday to contribute to the discussion. I’m now remembering why I generally don’t bother.

I’ll continue to read Amirs reviews and measurements with interest but from this point on I’m steering clear of the forums. If a mod can delete my account that’d be great. I’m out.

symphara

The problem is that if you have 2k burning in your pocket you're much better off getting a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120.

It's more powerful than the Hegel H95. It has one of the fancier room correction system available on the market, complete with two independent subwoofer outputs (that will get room corrected). On top of what the Hegel does it's got Chromecast. And Roon. And a phono input. And WiFi. And you can configure it from a beautifully designed integrated web server. And I think it's got a better SINAD. To begin with, it's perfectly quiet, even at max volume.

Or - to stay with the Scandinavian theme - you could get a Primare i15 Prisma for similar money to the Hegel and it's also got more features (incl. DSD support, Roon, Chromecast, WiFi etc). I have no experience with this particular product but the Primare stuff I listened to had an inaudible noise floor, including their now defunct AV receiver.

Top Bottom