• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Pillars

This looks rather interesting! I'm curious though on the volume control. Usually we see some testing to see how well matched it is. Is this an analog pot or chip attenuation? Thanks!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try what? What are you trying to say? this system is in place exactly for the reason to have all songs play at "about" the same volume when listening to Spotify as in the exemple. For "every track" not to be too "different" in percieved loudness. If your master is lower or higher than this general volume, Spotify will normalise it for you. and isn't how we set the volume of our listening, based not on peaks but an average? Are you saying that it's not possible to have peaks 14 dB above that ?
What I’m saying is that a track that has -14dBLUFS will not necessarily sound as loud as a tone that reads -14dBFS. It will be different from track to track even though they are at the same LUFS.

PS. Please check my bio.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
@amirm Could you do a measurement of the Phase shift like you did for the Hypex NC400?

index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This looks rather interesting! I'm curious though on the volume control. Usually we see some testing to see how well matched it is. Is this an analog pot or chip attenuation? Thanks!
I don't test volume controls for balance in power amps. Only do that for headphone listening since it is a much more pronounced issue there. But if I get a chance, I will test the PA5.

If there is a balance issue, I would get a DAC with digital volume control and leave the PA5 at max gain.

Trokox

Los amplificadores de escritorio son geniales y todo eso, pero adivina qué es mejor ... ¡amplificadores de escritorio que ya están dentro de tus fantásticos parlantes! Da la casualidad de que medir fantásticamente Kali LP-6v2 cuesta menos que este amplificador ... y obtienes un altavoz completo con opciones de ecualización incluidas, menos cajas, menos cables.

Además, la distorsión que aumenta rápidamente a altas frecuencias no es demasiado caliente si me preguntas. Benchmark todavía es mucho mejor en mi opinión, pero obviamente mucho más caro. Esto es bastante bueno para su caso de uso, pero encuentro que es un caso de uso muy limitado y casi muerto gracias a los altavoces activos

Desktop amps are cool and all, but guess what's better... desktop amps that are already inside your fantastic speakers! Just so happens that fantastically measuring Kali LP-6v2 costs less than this amp... and you get a whole speaker with EQ options included, less boxes, less cables.

Also quickly rising distortion at high frequencies is not too hot if you ask me. Benchmark still is much better in my eyes but obviously way more expensive. This thing is quite good for its use case but I find it's use case very limited and nearly dead thanks to active speakers.
That depends on the consumer's preference, in my case I have both JBL active speakers and a pair of Monitor Audio passives and the JBLs are in their box while the passives are on my desk.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Could you do a measurement of the Phase shift like you did for the Hypex NC400?

index.php
Sure. I have to remember how to set it up as it is not a straightforward test (limitation in Audio Precision).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are assuming that there is an internal heat sink instead of the case is used as a heath sink. We simply have no idea in order to make a comment one way or another.
No, I'm not assuming that. I'm stating that if there are holes/slots in the case for airflow (internal heatsink or not) then that airflow will carry dust, deposit it in the airflow path that will then after time become less effective.

Nango

Major Contributor
I've provided the reference and webpage directly from the IEC webstore - how is that my statement? What more details do you need?

Here is an image of a Dell laptop power supply - see that DC connector there - does it comply with IEC 60320? Why not? How do Dell sell millions of laptops a year in EU with a "non compliant" connector?

You really need to know when to hold up your hands and say "I was wrong"

View attachment 168708
Again, these notebook connectors are all based on japanese regulation, all are voltage and current limited, has nothing to do with the issue IEC 60320, those are EIAJ plugs for notebooks and no way such a connector will handle 152W we were talking about.

PeteL

Major Contributor
What I’m saying is that a track that has -14dBLUFS will not necessarily sound as loud as a tone that reads -14dBFS. The peak level will be different from track to track even though they are at the same LUFS.

PS. Please check my bio.
OK, I never said the peak levels would be the same for track to track. but do you agree that all songs at -14 LUFS should sound about the same volume? "about" is the key word here. So you don't like that we can translate to a tone, ok, what about pink noise then. Do you Agree thant Pink noise at -14 dBFS will sound about as loud as a song at -14 LUFS? if it's not that, what is the number then, if we agree that all these song sound about as loud, about as loud as which level then? I do know that it's average but what is the average?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I'm not assuming that. I'm assuming if there are holes/slots in the case for airflow (internal heatsink or not) then that airflow will carry dust, deposit it in the airflow path that will then after time become less effective.
You assume that those holes have any effect. We simply don’t know!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I never said the peak levels would be the same for track to track. but do you agree that all songs at -14 LUFS should sound about the same volume? "about" is the key word here. So you don't like that we can translate to a tone, ok, what about pink noise then. Do you Agree thant Pink noise at -14 dBFS will sound about as loud as a song at -14 LUFS? if it's not that, what is the number then, if we agree that all these song sound about as loud, about as loud as which level then? I do know that it's average but what is the average?
Of course they sound the same loudness. That is why LUFS are invented. They measure loudness. My objection was on your example of comparing loudness to a tone, which will not work. Pink noise will slightly match but still not correctly as its crest factor is very low compared to music. Those two measurements are not interchangeable. That’s the main issue.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You assume that those holes have any effect. We simply don’t know!
Amir's description:
There are large slots for cooling on the bottom and sides which worked well to keep the unit cool during testing

Further - they are unlikely to be there if they do nothing. Adding slots to a housing costs.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, these notebook connectors are all based on japanese regulation, all are voltage and current limited, has nothing to do with the issue IEC 60320, those are EIAJ plugs for notebooks and no way such a connector will handle 152W we were talking about.
Question for you:

If my power amp is a Crown I-Tech 5000HD (the ones JBL M2 are usually paired with), rated power at 2500 W @ 4 ohms, what are the max voltage and current the speaker terminals need to carry? What standards do those speaker terminals need to conform to?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Of course they sound the same loudness. That is why LUFS are invented. They measure loudness. My objection was on your example of comparing loudness to a tone, which will not work. Pink noise will slightly match but still not correctly as its crest factor is very low compared to music. Those two measurements are not interchangeable. That’s the main issue.
But my min point is that you can theoretically (and pratically really) have peaks of that are as many dB more as the LUFS value that represent the general listening level.

DanielT

Major Contributor
No, I'm not assuming that. I'm stating that if there are holes/slots in the case for airflow (internal heatsink or not) then that airflow will carry dust, deposit it in the airflow path that will then after time become less effective.
True.
It can collect more than dust. Cobwebs for example. But then it is over 60 years old.:)

Hm maybe it's time to upgrade to a little better sound. He he.:D

... but it has preset EQ ..
OT, I know. I could not help myself. Sorry .

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_005625.jpg
    IMG_20211129_005625.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20211129_004528.jpg
    IMG_20211129_004528.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20211129_010101.jpg
    IMG_20211129_010101.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 171

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have to return it. On low cost items, companies usually don't ask for them back but some do.
If you wanna sell it...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ClassicGuy

Well as an example, Spotify will ask you to master your music at -14 LUFS, Itune at -16 LUFS. I know it's a bit different than dynamic range, it means that the general volume will be at -14 or -16 dBFS. It means that in these cases, if you only give 10 dB headroom for your listening level. A peak at -3 dBFS would be clipped if there is some in the track you listen to. Y think that 80 dB SPL is not very loud.

I don't think LUFS are relevant. The power output of an amplifier is dependent on output level, not on input level. The relationship between input level and output level is adjusted by the volume knob. So the amp doesn't care if your song is mastered at -14 LUFS or -16 LUFS, as long as you play them at the same volume.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I don't think LUFS are relevant. The power output of an amplifier is dependent on output level, not on input level. The relationship between input level and output level is adjusted by the volume knob. So the amp doesn't care if your song is mastered at -14 LUFS or -16 LUFS, as long as you play them at the same volume.
Sorry? Let's forget LUFS for now... the power output don't depend on input? Well the votage at the output should follow exactly the voltage at the input, with a gain applied. Depending if it can supply enough current for the load on peak demand, it will succeed at this or not. So yes, the more dynamic the recording, that same headroom need to be available for how loud these peaks are compare to the volume you listen to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom