• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XMC-2 Review (AV Processor)

HSamwel

The concern I have isnt necessarily the knowledge of setup but rather continual setup and yes convenience is a nice addition however im not seeing much variation at all between marrantz newest flagship av8805a to the Emotiva rmc-1 other than lack of wireless support and yes more difficult to configure with slow buggy issue that for years now with the rmc-1 have plagued it. You would think if something works that it has been engineered better than something that constantly adds new bugs to be addressed. Emotiva did report yesterday that they have most of the bugs fixed with their newest firmware however aside from 2.1 board of marantz not reporting any bugs in firware. The main issue for me and why I returned the marantz is just the sticky point of sound that is very hard to discern in a 7.1 setup I have but was a bit noticable using the arcamav40 also returned due to bugs. I definately dont have time to adress each issue going forward with a 5k investment but looking for other than Marantz options that are readily available are slim to none. Denon same boat. Was waiting on Anthem but thats another issue of who knows when and if and even at that point what might newly found bugs. Maybe I just need to go back to marantz and expect its as good as it gets for reliablity and sound quality compromise but just so hard to do when I initially sold the 8802 to get better sound quality to get as close as I can to linnov but at 6k not 13-15k
If smooth operation and price is a concern then Marantz is probably the
only way to go.. Possibly Monoprice HTP-1 also.. It seemed quite stable
in the beginning. I have not read much about it lately though..
Heard of some bugs like shutting down and starting by it self sometimes..
But I guess it is still the most stable 16ch processor sub $6000..

Both Arcam and Anthem seems to have a lot of bugs still.
Even JBL seems to be less stable..

Storm and Trinnov just works.. But are insanely expensive..
AudioControl probably also work as there aren’t many reports of bad
behaviours with them..

twokdesigns

yeah looked up audio controll but basically arcam av40 in prettier box. still unsure if I really noticed a whole loj of sound quality difference in arcam anthem and marantz but really gun shy now to just settle if the av8805a has substantially less sound quality, dacs etc.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But this is not normal behaviour really..

I pause movies several times. Both streaming and from bluray..
Starting it up is no problem either. Simply works!

I don’t think I have had to do a ”hard reboot” once in +2 years.
With hard reboot I guess you mean switching it completely off with the
rocket switch..

What gear do you have connected to your RMC?

I have:
Sony 4k TV : HDMI out 2
Panasonic 1080p projector: HDMI out 1
Pioneer UDP-LX800 4k bluray: two HDMI’s in and the balanced in
Oppo BDP-103 bluray: HDMI in
TV box (dish): HDMI in
Primare NP5 network streamer: Coax in
Pioneer N-70AE network streamer: Analog in and optical in
AppleTV 4k gen 2: HDMI in
Shield Pro 2019: HDMI in
My setup is pretty standard. Just these things connected to the RMC-1L:
All of my HDMI cables are Blue Jeans BJC Series-FE

I'm running Kodi on the Shield TV Pro. If I press pause and leave for 10-15 minutes (long enough for the Chromecast screensaver to kick in) and then try to resume playback, either there will be no sound or no sound and no picture until I reboot. I may try connecting the Shield TV Pro directly to the TV just to verify that there's not some compatibility issue there, but that seems unlikely.

Switching inputs between the Fire TV and the Shield TV Pro is also a harrowing experience. It can take up to a minute of me switching back and forth before I can get video to sync.

I have another Shield TV Pro running Kodi and connected to an LG C9PUA 65" OLED TV and have zero issues with this configuration.

After adding the RMC-1L to our theater system, it has become completely unusable by family members. I did not have any of these problems with the old XMC-1.

HSamwel

That’s a simple setup.. Although mostly shouldn’t have any issues..
But you could try with removing either Shield or Fire TV temporarely.
Then do a hard reboot to see if it helps..
Could be that those two devices have an issue with each other when
having Emotiva as the middle man..
Shield at least has CEC activated all the time if I remember correctly.

Any CEC settings should be turned off for both Shield and Fire TV
as well as LG and Emotiva.. CEC is one of those features Emotiva
handles really really badly.

dsnyder0cnn

That’s a simple setup.. Although mostly shouldn’t have any issues..
But you could try with removing either Shield or Fire TV temporarely.
Then do a hard reboot to see if it helps..
Could be that those two devices have an issue with each other when
having Emotiva as the middle man..
Shield at least has CEC activated all the time if I remember correctly.

Any CEC settings should be turned off for both Shield and Fire TV
as well as LG and Emotiva.. CEC is one of those features Emotiva
handles really really badly.
Good tips. I think I've disabled CEC already, but I'll double-check. I don't know what HDMI devices Emotiva tests with, but I'd be surprised if Amazon Fire TV is not part of the set.

Beast76

I played some music via Roon on the Storm MK2 and wanted the meters with some music I have been listening to and it seems to primarily live in the -10 to zero range. Much of the time it is around -5 to -1. Why would it make sense to test at -20? In roon generally use the headroom management with a setting of -3 or -5 to keep it from getting to zero. But with the headroom management off, it was routinely hitting zero as shown below.
View attachment 157316
That is displaying the digital headroom in your setup (with the EQ you have applied to each speaker) and is not a direct measurement of the signal on the recording. 0 dbfs and 4V output is definitely not normal listening conditions, but a worst case scenario. That doesn’t change anything about the test. It’s done that way for every product Amir tests.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is displaying the digital headroom in your setup (with the EQ you have applied to each speaker) and is not a direct measurement of the signal on the recording. 0 dbfs and 4V output is definitely not normal listening conditions, but a worst case scenario. That doesn’t change anything about the test. It’s done that way for every product Amir tests.
I certainly could be wrong, but it is labelled input and it is a digital signal (pop music). Why would the digital input levels on the view meters include EQ in my setup? Below the input channels are the output and I would assume that would include the my eq etc. I'm not saying you are wrong, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. If the input does include my EQ etc then I have learned something but that seems odd to me.

Beast76

I certainly could be wrong, but it is labelled input and it is a digital signal (pop music). Why would the digital input levels on the view meters include EQ in my setup? Below the input channels are the output and I would assume that would include the my eq etc. I'm not saying you are wrong, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. If the input does include my EQ etc then I have learned something but that seems odd to me.
Yep - not sure how I didn’t see the input and output ……

twokdesigns

maybe Im a gluten for punishment but im thinking going for the xpa gen 3 7 channel amp along with the rmc-1 and the module for mc phono gets me online and ready to start configuring. Not worried it may be a challenge worried it might produce negative results and that emotiva wont back me up if I run into issues. according to them there are limited isses with new product and new firmware. Anyone?

Loron

Forum Donor

I own a XMC- so I followed closely. When this happened and Lonnie made that strange -20db optimization, I went and search more about that affirmation. I found multiple sources that mentioned testing at 0 dBSF. In recording studios, they do recommend mastering a little lower than 0 dBFS, but they never would go as low as -20dBFS. I have seen -5dB from absolute 0 dBFS. They obviously want to keep some room for dynamics.

Ethan Winer, in his book, also recommend recording, mixing and mastering at peak levels higher than that. Obviously average level will be lower but there will be peaks close to 0dBFS.

I am not an expert so this is just based on what I have read when I tried to figure out if Emotiva was trying to find a way out…..!

I found multiple reference to signal that could be “hot” so it only made sense to test a 0 dBFS. I found examples of equipment tested a that level just like Amir does. It is almost a standard. So Lonnie‘s answers felt a little like BS.

there is no doubt in my mind that Amir is testing in the right way.

I even found a document where they specifically tested CD players at 0dBFS and even higher. They did so because many recordings were getting close to these levels.

it says:
“Several different domestic and professional CD players have been submitted to a variety of test signals constructed to reveal difficulties regarding level handling, analog circuitry lock-up etc. Test signals include tones at different levels, program like material and artificial signals.
To check the headroom capacity of different consumer CD players, CDs were made with a collection of test signals that could reveal problems in digital filter or analog signal-path design.
Measuring equipment consisted of LeCroy 9350A, AP System 2 Cascade and Prism DScope.”

Here are some results of THD + n and the first page of that document.

Attachments

• C2B7199C-A0CF-400E-8517-2D821D268E94.jpeg
    C2B7199C-A0CF-400E-8517-2D821D268E94.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 2238DA36-8FFF-458E-A55A-C33A6A02DE7D.jpeg
    2238DA36-8FFF-458E-A55A-C33A6A02DE7D.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 9AB42252-94D0-4F6B-85F4-84699F33FA6F.png
    9AB42252-94D0-4F6B-85F4-84699F33FA6F.png
    822.1 KB · Views: 62

Loron

Forum Donor
maybe Im a gluten for punishment but im thinking going for the xpa gen 3 7 channel amp along with the rmc-1 and the module for mc phono gets me online and ready to start configuring. Not worried it may be a challenge worried it might produce negative results and that emotiva wont back me up if I run into issues. according to them there are limited isses with new product and new firmware. Anyone?
That is exactly what I thought when I decided to buy the XMC-2. There are still many issues but I must say mine is usable. It does take 14 seconds to switch between hdmi inputs. I get funky colors in the menu when I switch which is a sign of handshaking issues but it only last 3 seconds or so and then it is ok.
You need to be very patient when setting up because it is extremely slow and will buffer your commands if you press multiples times. Then the menus will change in succession according to your commands and you will end up in a different set up menu that you wanted too.
I do have to restart more often than any other AVR or processor I ever had. I set it up to cold start every time. It is longer but more stable for me.

I was ready to live with this for a unit that was supposed to test as good as Amir test of the RMC-1. In the end if the unit SINAD is what the latest test showed, I think it isn’t worth all the issues. Just my opinion.

tparm

Forum Donor
I own an RMC-1L and it’s functions without issue. I use a Harmony and the remote app (which is excellent), no ARC or CEC, 2CH is reference stereo through external DAC (speaker preset 2) and I use 2 Dirac profiles for preset 1; open subs and sealed.

I did find some anomalies post-Dirac that I had to tweak and also it’s handling of LFE sorta blows if you don’t take time to set it up prior (use y-adaptor, sum the subs).

tparm

Forum Donor
That is exactly what I thought when I decided to buy the XMC-2. There are still many issues but I must say mine is usable. It does take 14 seconds to switch between hdmi inputs. I get funky colors in the menu when I switch which is a sign of handshaking issues but it only last 3 seconds or so and then it is ok.
You need to be very patient when setting up because it is extremely slow and will buffer your commands if you press multiples times. Then the menus will change in succession according to your commands and you will end up in a different set up menu that you wanted too.
I do have to restart more often than any other AVR or processor I ever had. I set it up to cold start every time. It is longer but more stable for me.

I was ready to live with this for a unit that was supposed to test as good as Amir test of the RMC-1. In the end if the unit SINAD is what the latest test showed, I think it isn’t worth all the issues. Just my opinion.
Do you use the app? My 1L switches sources in 3-4 seconds.

Loron

Forum Donor
Do you use the app? My 1L switches sources in 3-4 seconds.
No I used the heavy remote that comes with it. I even made a video of it. That is how I can know the time it takes. I sent Emotiva the video but got no reply. I actually listed the unit for sale and hope it does but not much interest so far. Lol.
I am running latest firmware….
man 3 to 4 seconds…… that’s sounds fast…
Even at 14 seconds, I wouldn’t mind if it was testing close to Trinnov and Storm! I thought I could be patient for such sound quality without paying tens of thousands $ more. For a quality that is less than Denon, I wouldn’t have gone for it.

tparm

Forum Donor
No I used the heavy remote that comes with it. I even made a video of it. That is how I can know the time it takes. I sent Emotiva the video but got no reply. I actually listed the unit for sale and hope it does but not much interest so far. Lol.
Even at 14 seconds, I wouldn’t mind if it was testing close to Trinnov and Storm! I thought I could be patient for such sound quality without paying tens of thousands $ more. For a quality that is less than Denon, I wouldn’t have gone for it.
I owned an X4700 and then an A110, I sold the A110 to buy the Emotiva. The flexibility and sound quality of the 1L is superior to the Denons. The OE remote Emotiva provides is cool but sucks, I wouldn’t recommend you use it at all.

Loron

Forum Donor
I owned an X4700 and then an A110, I sold the A110 to buy the Emotiva. The flexibility and sound quality of the 1L is superior to the Denons. The OE remote Emotiva provides is cool but sucks, I wouldn’t recommend you use it at all.
I had a Denon before and I don’t agree with you. I don’t think the Emotiva is superior. My Denon was sounding just as good. I was using it in preamp mode. I wanted Dirac….. now I know I am not a huge fan of “any” automated room correction software. I now used REW and acoustic treatments. It sounds better to me that way. So no superior sound quality for me.

Jbrunwa

Mine is somewhere between the two of yours.

Here is my XMC-2 switching between Xfinity X1, ATV4K gen 2, Panasonic UB-820 Blu-ray, Roku Ultra with Samsung Q90T display output. CEC is disabled everywhere that it can be disabled. You can see when I press the input button as the XMC-2 immediately displays the newly selected HDMI input in the OSD. The switching time seems relatively constant but different for each input.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is somewhere between the two of yours.

Here is my XMC-2 switching between Xfinity X1, ATV4K gen 2, Panasonic UB-820 Blu-ray, Roku Ultra with Samsung Q90T display output. CEC is disabled everywhere that it can be disabled. You can see when I press the input button as the XMC-2 immediately displays the newly selected HDMI input in the OSD. The switching time seems relatively constant but different for each input.

I don't see that spinning circle on my RMC-1, is that coming from the XMC-2?

- Rich

tparm

Forum Donor
I had a Denon before and I don’t agree with you. I don’t think the Emotiva is superior. My Denon was sounding just as good. I was using it in preamp mode. I wanted Dirac….. now I know I am not a huge fan of “any” automated room correction software. I now used REW and acoustic treatments. It sounds better to me that way. So no superior sound quality for me.
Not asking you to agree, talking about my experience. I also used both Denon’s in preamp mode. I too have a fully treated room based on REW measurements. I believe room EQ should be used to do as little as possible. I do agree that none of them (room EQ) are perfect. When I have time I plan to do a user set up with PEQ only (including 3 channel PEQ in my subs) to see if I like those results better. Moved into a home that took a year to build so its a balance of unpacking and tweaking the room. A note, pretty cool that Yamaha included a Bass-only correction mode to YPAO on their new units. Others have curtains, etc but I like this and the overall flexibility of their new Avetage line.

Attachments

• 8D1F1BDF-4A5C-4851-8E77-16427BB4990B.jpeg
    8D1F1BDF-4A5C-4851-8E77-16427BB4990B.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 104
  • EE51AEB9-3730-4E38-9EE2-E20F899F9259.jpeg
    EE51AEB9-3730-4E38-9EE2-E20F899F9259.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 97
  • C4646301-11F5-4171-98C6-5F2E66407CBD.jpeg
    C4646301-11F5-4171-98C6-5F2E66407CBD.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 105

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Not asking you to agree, talking about my experience. I also used both Denon’s in preamp mode. I too have a fully treated room based on REW measurements. I believe room EQ should be used to do as little as possible. I do agree that none of them (room EQ) are perfect. When I have time I plan to do a user set up with PEQ only (including 3 channel PEQ in my subs) to see if I like those results better. Moved into a home that took a year to build so its a balance of unpacking and tweaking the room. A note, pretty cool that Yamaha included a Bass-only correction mode to YPAO on their new units. Others have curtains, etc but I like this and the overall flexibility of their new Avetage line.
Love the bar area.

Top Bottom