• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PMC twenty5.24i

cany89

Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these speakers. I know smaller versions have measured very badly here. But I want to hear from someone who has both seen the other versions' measurements and listened to 24i. - if possible ofc...

Otherwise, I saw the measurements and a lot of bad comments about the brand. Knowing what to expect, I'll demo those and see if I like it despite the graphs. (It's still likely since I might not have a problem with directivity and fix any problem on FR with EQ anyway.)

I got a pair of JBL 705 in my fairly large living room. Although I like the sound, I want to listen to music through transitional and full-range speakers. 705's are mid-field at max, they are ok in a small room but not in my living room. Low mids and bass drop significantly as you move away. So I added a half-decent sub (doesn't matter if I put SVS in this case).
But the problem is:
- with the crossover adjusted for my listening zone, frequencies from sub and 705s overlap and amplify depending on where you stand in the room.
- there is a tiny bit of timing difference which ruins it for me on tracks with fast drums - usually what I listen to.

Thanks!

dfuller

Major Contributor
Well, sorry to say, but every PMC I've ever seen measurements of is incredibly jagged and uneven throughout.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you DIY, I recently did a design in the same vein. Used a pair of the 5.25" glass fiber Peerless and the same tweeter that is used in your prospective purchase.

Diminutive 20 ltr tower, 86dB sensitivity, dynamic, and a benign 4 ohm load. I call it the EMP.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these speakers. I know smaller versions have measured very badly here. But I want to hear from someone who has both seen the other versions' measurements and listened to 24i. - if possible ofc...

Otherwise, I saw the measurements and a lot of bad comments about the brand. Knowing what to expect, I'll demo those and see if I like it despite the graphs. (It's still likely since I might not have a problem with directivity and fix any problem on FR with EQ anyway.)

I got a pair of JBL 705 in my fairly large living room. Although I like the sound, I want to listen to music through transitional and full-range speakers. 705's are mid-field at max, they are ok in a small room but not in my living room. Low mids and bass drop significantly as you move away. So I added a half-decent sub (doesn't matter if I put SVS in this case).
But the problem is:
- with the crossover adjusted for my listening zone, frequencies from sub and 705s overlap and amplify depending on where you stand in the room.
- there is a tiny bit of timing difference which ruins it for me on tracks with fast drums - usually what I listen to.

Thanks!

What is it that draws you to the PMC? Are there any other speakers you're also looking at?

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have heard the previous version of the Twenty5 too, FWIW. I thought they were really smooth and easy, and the bass was extended though not at proper output. It's like it rolled off very gradually down low.

I sought to improve on the bass extension by doubling up on the next size smaller woofer, to increase sensitivity, and decrease cabinet size in the process. I was rewarded with dynamic bass when the recording demanded it.

One other thing to know, is that the GF drivers from Peerless peak in the midbass and need corrected. The 5.25" do at 200Hz, and I fixed it.

OP
cany89

cany89

If you DIY, I recently did a design in the same vein. Used a pair of the 5.25" glass fiber Peerless and the same tweeter that is used in your prospective purchase.

Diminutive 20 ltr tower, 86dB sensitivity, dynamic, and a benign 4 ohm load. I call it the EMP.
Unfortunately, I’m not a DIY guy. I could make something if I try but not in the mood for speakers for sure… But it would be great if you can share some photos of what you made.

OP
cany89

cany89

What is it that draws you to the PMC? Are there any other speakers you're also looking at?
Not really, I’m kinda open to suggestions. Just wanted to have a full range transitional speakers (good overall + good bass without sub) and it would be great if 2x200w @8ohm is enough.

OP
cany89

cany89

Well, sorry to say, but every PMC I've ever seen measurements of is incredibly jagged and uneven throughout.
That’s a bummer :/ Have any suggestions?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I've owned Twenty.22's, and I hated that speaker. Too bright and some weird resonance somewhere in the bass. It was extremely bad in a certain game (I forgot which one) where a particular sound effect was at that exact frequency. Drove me nuts. But even with music you could sometimes hear it.

I haven't seen measurements for their studio monitors, but I do know that I've never seen a consumer PMC speaker that had a flat response.

YSC

Major Contributor
Not really, I’m kinda open to suggestions. Just wanted to have a full range transitional speakers (good overall + good bass without sub) and it would be great if 2x200w @8ohm is enough.
some names comes to my mind are KEF Blade/R series, Focal Kanta/Sopra/Utopia, Various Revel, Dynaudio floorstanders (seems measurements are more ok than their monitor series), Vivid Giya G1.

All these measured quite well as far as I recall, but KEF and Revel have better dispersion. And if you are able to spend big like these, since all of those measures on axis quite well, sometimes the design or brand name that you liked valued to one's enjoyment more than shear performance. especially when you do room corrections yourself, which more of those flaws would be hidden, and our brain gets the entertainment partially from looking at the artistic feel of the speakers itself

OP
cany89

cany89

I've owned Twenty.22's, and I hated that speaker. Too bright and some weird resonance somewhere in the bass. It was extremely bad in a certain game (I forgot which one) where a particular sound effect was at that exact frequency. Drove me nuts. But even with music you could sometimes hear it.

I haven't seen measurements for their studio monitors, but I do know that I've never seen a consumer PMC speaker that had a flat response.

Pfft, that's a real bummer. Though 22 is small, I suspect they got better results on the bigger brother...

OP
cany89

cany89

some names comes to my mind are KEF Blade/R series, Focal Kanta/Sopra/Utopia, Various Revel, Dynaudio floorstanders (seems measurements are more ok than their monitor series), Vivid Giya G1.

All these measured quite well as far as I recall, but KEF and Revel have better dispersion. And if you are able to spend big like these, since all of those measures on axis quite well, sometimes the design or brand name that you liked valued to one's enjoyment more than shear performance. especially when you do room corrections yourself, which more of those flaws would be hidden, and our brain gets the entertainment partially from looking at the artistic feel of the speakers itself

TBH I'm looking for simplicity, both visually and layout / electronics-wise. I would pass Blades. (I don't like the presentation of coaxial) but I guess I should start looking at Revel, Focal, or Dynaudio. Thanks for the advice.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Pfft, that's a real bummer. Though 22 is small, I suspect they got better results on the bigger brother...
The PMC fact.8 signature:
420PMC8fig4.jpg

The PMC DB1i:

1209PMCfig4.jpg

The PMC IB-1S:
Pmcfig3.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
That’s a bummer :/ Have any suggestions?
At $8600 a pair, you could get a lot of speaker for that much. ATC's SCM40 is $8000/pr and has overall better design (though still not quite optimal, strictly speaking); Revel's F226Be is about $7000/pr.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
At $8600 a pair, you could get a lot of speaker for that much. ATC's SCM40 is $8000/pr and has overall better design (though still not quite optimal, strictly speaking); Revel's F226Be is about $7000/pr.
I have my doubts about ATC to be honest.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Hi Everyone!

But the problem is:

Thanks!
why ? you have a hundred respectable brand. Fashion doesn't make the sound

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have my doubts about ATC to be honest.
Like I said: definitely not quite optimal. Still better than WTF ever PMC is doing. Sides, I've liked every ATC I've used.

Top Bottom