• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

jtgofish

Gale 401a still.Circa 1975.
They sound superb too.
1627548949304.png

1627549077406.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The decision to go for aluminium was genius both from a business and acoustic perspective. The only thing I would like to see is Genelec anodising their speaker enclosures. This would give it the nicest finish possible. Nowadays you can also anodise and colour it to get beautiful results. For example: https://linetec.com/anodize/color-charts/
IME, and I have been using colour anodising for 45 years, the problem is colour matching. All the parts that come out of a single batch are the same colour but getting the colour exactly the same on a batch later seemed to be beyond any of our suppliers.
Also the Genelec speakers are diecast and getting an even colour would require other surface treatments first IME.
Paint is much more consistent.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
IME, and I have been using colour anodising for 45 years, the problem is colour matching. All the parts that come out of a single batch are the same colour but getting the colour exactly the same on a batch later seemed to be beyond any of our suppliers.
Also the Genelec speakers are diecast and getting an even colour would require other surface treatments first IME.
Paint is much more consistent.
Thank you for this insight!
Do you have any idea then, what B&O are doing to have copper and brass tones? Examples here: https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/us/speakers/beosound-edge?variant=beosound-edge-brasstone-bundle-us

Tovarich007

While i agree that these are beautifull, there are also Jamo R909 and Jamo R907 which look better, used Seas and Peerless drivers and are very well engineered. Last good speakers from that company in my opinion. Everything after that looks and sound awful.

R909 et R907 are large dipole, the biggest and the most expensive speakers Jamo has ever done. They're quite in a different league than the two way reflex loaded Concert model viewed above.

By the way, R909 and 907 used a SEAS driver for the midrange and Peerless for the twin bass drivers, but the tweeter was a ScanSpeak Revelator.
As for their look, it's all a matter of taste. They're good looking to my eyes but all in all I prefer the classic look of the compact Concert model.

I have no idea about the sound of the more recent Jamo products. I don't find them awful, but less classy than the dipoles or the old Concert series.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OB dipoles behave differently in room and can not be designed as regular loudspeakers.

And you don't measure loudspeakers that are 1.2m high from 1m distance. 3x largest dimension of the loudspeaker is enough to be able to measure how drivers couple to the baffle.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OB dipoles behave differently in room and can not be designed as regular loudspeakers.

And you don't measure loudspeakers that are 1.2m high from 1m distance. 3x largest dimension of the loudspeaker is enough to be able to measure how drivers couple to the baffle.
Exactly and thus also the v-shaped nearfield measurements become quite flat at the listeners position:

1627598768645.png

Fig.7 Jamo Reference R 907, spatially averaged, 1/6-octave response in JA's listening room with (blue) and without (red) front grilles.

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/jamo-reference-r-907-loudspeaker-measurements

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The following is maybe more interesting design than beautiful. . .

The Klipsch Stadium. A short-lived modern Boombox?
(1-inch titanium compression drivers + 3.5-inch aluminium mid-range + two 5.25-inch long-throw woofers: active 400w bass-reflex system with AirPlay/Bluetooth wireless audio, claimed 26-24,000 Hz)

Stadium-Angle_635132885561420000_large.jpg

klipsch-stadium-review-wireless-speaker-rear-angle-1500x1000.jpg

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always wondered what happened with these.View attachment 144467

Wow!

Reminds me of the newest 4 way speaker creation from JTR. You picture looks even crazier though.

RTJ.png

Coax mid and tweeter loaded into a 21" horn, crossed to 4 10" woofers, crossed to 2 21" active woofers. I wish the whole thing were active.

Top Bottom