• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir and @SHENZHENAUDIO I am impressed again. Incredible to include the Neutrik adapters at this price.

If someone doesn't want the adapters, send them to me ;)

TRS is a great solution for the small form factor. Pro audio cables in any XLR/TRS configuration are also readily available at great prices.

I love the performance and the display.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
5h225r.jpg

PeteL

Major Contributor
There are Neutrik TRS to XLR adapters included in the box.
Wow, my brain fail to register that. I would have been impressed with any TRS to XLR connector but you guys went for the gold standard, very expensive European brand on a 139$ DAC, it just seems very overkill, Heck Around here those adapters are like 20$+ a piece... I don't get it there's some magic going on in Guangzhou. To come up with these pricing...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wow, my brain fail to register that. I would have been impressed with any TRS to XLR connector but you guys went for the gold standard, very expensive European brand on a 139$ DAC, it just seems very overkill, Heck Around here those adapters are like 20$+ a piece... I don't get it there's some magic going on in Guangzhou. To come up with these pricing...
It's NOT Neutrik brand but I am pretty sure it's manufactured in China by Yongsheng(which is now owned by Neutrik AFAIK). But nonetheless, we had a few different ones, and this is the highest quality one we picked. It's not too expensive actually.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Wow, my brain fail to register that. I would have been impressed with any TRS to XLR connector but you guys went for the gold standard, very expensive European brand on a 139$ DAC, it just seems very overkill, Heck Around here those adapters are like 20$+ a piece...
It is Neutrik China-factory. See for example http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a12.html
Yongsheng(Neutrik China Factory) Quality Gold-plated Plug

Jitter performance of D10B seems even better.
The jitter on both the DAC and the digital outs is particularly impressive. @WolfX-700 measured coax jitter too:

Coax-scaled.jpg

TMMT.jpg

There are old studio external 'word clocks' that perform worse than this ;) ...

PeteL

Major Contributor
It is Neutrik China-factory. See for example http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a12.html
Yongsheng(Neutrik China Factory) Quality Gold-plated Plug
I get that it had to be something like that of course, but still, here's what, as an end user, and yes I get as well the idea of volume pricing, but here's what I expect to pay for a china factory neutrik trs to xlr. How an amazing value Indeed! And yes they look different than the one we have but looks great quality.
1626784446737.png

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Size? This thing is tiny.

Nice job Topping, I don't think you have many boxes left to tick except for more channels.
Yeah, as I had mentioned in a previous post, that is what I was assuming, as well. Just thought I would ask since it was being discussed.

Interference

Great product, although a bit skeptical on its practical applications. My reason to get and recommend balanced DACs is to directly drive power amplifiers or powered speakers. Without an on-board volume control this become a bit less practical for that purpose.

On the other and preamps and integrated amps with balanced inputs are far less common.

But it's always positive to have affordable high performing options!

jawbfl

It's Neutrik brand but I am pretty sure it's manufactured in China by Yongsheng(which is now owned by Neutrik AFAIK). But nonetheless, we had a few different ones, and this is the highest quality one we picked. It's not too expensive actually.
I bought some Neutrik clones XLR connectors from AliExpress R Connector, they are very very good for a fraction of the price I wouldn't bother to buy the Neutrik branded ones.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great product, although a bit skeptical on its practical applications. My reason to get and recommend balanced DACs is to directly drive power amplifiers or powered speakers. Without an on-board volume control this become a bit less practical for that purpose.
I would have said the same a year ago, but with the tests that have been done showing little if any negatives to using the volume control on my computer, this is exactly what I have been hoping for. Now I just need business to pick up so that I can actually buy this and some powered monitors and give this Logitech 2.1 system I've been using for the last two years in my office to my kids.

jawbfl

@JohnYang1997 can the USB provide the necessary power to drive in 4v? I see some similar DACs with an extra USB for power.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 can the USB provide the necessary power to drive in 4v? I see some similar DACs with an extra USB for power.
Voltage has little to do with power actually. There's extra inductor added so the startup current is lower than D10s now. So many Android phones can use it. Not guaranteed but the ones that work with D10, not with D10s, should be ok with D10 Balanced.

jawbfl

Voltage has little to do with power actually. There's extra inductor added so the startup current is lower than D10s now. So many Android phones can use it. Not guaranteed but the ones that work with D10, not with D10s, should be ok with D10 Balanced.
Thanks, I understand, I meant power (VxI), will it benefit from a more powerful USB source like USB 3 for example? or maybe split data and power into 2 USB cables?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks, I understand, I meant power (VxI), will it benefit from a more powerful USB source like USB 3 for example? or maybe split data and power into 2 USB cables?
Like I mentioned it can run on majority of Android phones. So there will be absolutely no issue for PC or Mac.

maty

Major Contributor
Top Bottom