• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best true wireless? (or value IEM)

edahl

I'm considering a pair of true wireless earbuds for commuting. What would you get? Looking at the Sony WF-1000XM4, the Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless and the Spark in particular.

Alternatively, since I have a bluetooth dongle, what's a decent IEM in the same price range as a decent tw bud? (say, the IE 300)

Last edited:
OP
edahl

edahl

Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro are fantastic. I bought them and the Sparks at near the same time, and the Moondrops just couldn't compete.
Do you know how they compare to the Sony 1000XM4?

Wunderphones

Do you know how they compare to the Sony 1000XM4?

No. I have wide open ear canals, and something with that much mass outside the canal would never stay put for me.

Probably the best thing about the Buds Pro, aside from the tone, is that they've shifted all the mass inside my head. Even my most kinetic workouts don't break the seal.

o7_brother

Quite interested in this topic myself. Some stand-outs from my experience:

Sony WF-1000XM3 (haven't tried the XM4 yet) - best ANC, tasteful warm tuning, size of the case is a big no-no. The buds themselves are large and stick out quite a bit, so they fall out if you're exercising. If the use case is commuting, OP would be quite happy with these.

AirPods Pro - Tied for best ANC, but they shallow fit and smaller size makes for a far more appealing package. Sound quality is mediocre, but not overly offensive in any way. I consider the APP to be a great product even if it has arguably the worst sound quality of these.

Original Galaxy Buds (not Plus) - This is the value pick. They sport a somewhat thinner version of the Harman target, quite pleasant overall. If you have an Android phone, setting the EQ to "Dynamic" gives them a excellent, tasteful V-shape tuning. Ergonomics are great. The The Plus has better battery life but also "The Worst Treble of All Time" ™.

Galaxy Buds Pro - my current daily. Sound quality is the best of the bunch: they took the tasteful V-shape of the original buds (with EQ) and made that the default tuning. Can sound mid-bassy and slightly bloated on some tracks, but mostly they are just warm and punchy without sacrificing the treble. The size and ergonomics are great. Only downsides is the ANC isn't that good, mostly failing to reduce mid and high frequencies as much as I'd like, but it works for my uses. The style is also a bit whack, I don't know why they thought the exterior should look like cheap, shiny plastic.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Alex-D

AirPods Pro - Tied for best ANC, but they shallow fit and smaller size makes for a far more appealing package. Sound quality is mediocre, but not overly offensive in any way. I consider the APP to be a great product even if it has arguably the worst sound quality of these.

How good is airpods ANC outside?
With Sony WF-1000XM3 I have to enable wind mode outside when even slight wind is blowing. This mode is a bit less effective and works of all I can't enable this mode by default.
Wonder if other buds are better in that regard.

o7_brother

How good is airpods ANC outside?
With Sony WF-1000XM3 I have to enable wind mode outside when even slight wind is blowing. This mode is a bit less effective and works of all I can't enable this mode by default.
Wonder if other buds are better in that regard.

The XM3 is the only one of the bunch where I had the wind problem to that extent. The Airpods Pro and GB Pro are both quite a bit better in that regard. However, I think there is a way to make it default on the XM3, there was a reddit post about it, try googling it.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just bought some Jabra elite active 65t. I then Used the rtings frequency response and the Jabra graphic eq to get a little closer to the Harman curve. Overall they sound really good for truly wireless iems. They also stay in your ear really well and passively block a lot of noise. The elite active 75t does have anc and a little bit better natural curve, but were double the price on prime day.

Purchased based on rtings and this.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-workout-headphones/

Wunderphones

Quite interested in this topic myself. Some stand-outs from my experience:

Sony WF-1000XM3 (haven't tried the XM4 yet) - best ANC, tasteful warm tuning, size of the case is a big no-no. The buds themselves are large and stick out quite a bit, so they fall out if you're exercising. If the use case is commuting, OP would be quite happy with these.

Original Galaxy Buds (not Plus) - This is the value pick. They sport a somewhat thinner version of the Harman target, quite pleasant overall. If you have an Android phone, setting the EQ to "Dynamic" gives them a excellent, tasteful V-shape tuning. Ergonomics are great. The The Plus has better battery life but also "The Worst Treble of All Time" ™.

Galaxy Buds Pro - my current daily. Sound quality is the best of the bunch: they took the tasteful V-shape of the original buds (with EQ) and made that the default tuning. Can sound mid-bassy and slightly bloated on some tracks, but mostly they are just warm and punchy without sacrificing the treble. The size and ergonomics are great. Only downsides is the ANC isn't that good, mostly failing to reduce mid and high frequencies as much as I'd like, but it works for my uses. The style is also a bit whack, I don't know why they thought the exterior should look like cheap, shiny plastic.

Hope this helps somewhat.

I agree it's not a great look. I think it's because they wanted to keep the mass outside the ear canal light, and because of reception.

Wunderphones

That's very helpful, though they haven't looked at the 1000XM4 yet. Moondrop Blessing 2 is looking like an amazing deal though
I listened to the Blessing 2 on a tour arranged by Moondrop, and yes--they are superb. Personally, although the standard model is the value pick, the Dusk would get my money. The Blessing lacks the bass to do justice to some of my bangers. But if you believe in a leaner, more traditional FR curve, the Blessings are impossible to beat at the price.

hege

Forum Donor

With Plus the 'dynamic' EQ results on awful splashly highs, all of the extra presets are pretty much useless...

Have you actually compared all with proper EQ like Wavelet/AutoEQ? I'm thinking I might try Pro's, since Rtings shows it has better Bluetooth range. I get lots of hiccups walking with my phone in my pants pocket. Is the treble quality different when EQd to similar response?

I really do like the Plus for the 99€ they cost.

o7_brother

With Plus the 'dynamic' EQ results on awful splashly highs, all of the extra presets are pretty much useless...

Have you actually compared all with proper EQ like Wavelet/AutoEQ? I'm thinking I might try Pro's, since Rtings shows it has better Bluetooth range. I get lots of hiccups walking with my phone in my pants pocket. Is the treble quality different when EQd to similar response?

I really do like the Plus for the 99€ they cost.

I've owned all three (original, Plus,and Pro)

The Plus' treble cannot be helped with EQ, I tried. You can reduce the treble level, but that's just concealing the issue. The Dynamic preset is only really good for the original Galaxy Buds.

The Pro doesn't need EQ imo, especially not in the treble. Maybe in the lower mids and midbass, if you want a less warm signature. However, I'm not a fan of the profiles in the app with these buds.

The originals are quite good with no EQ or with the Dynamic profile. At that point it depends on taste.

hege

Forum Donor
Well I splurged on the "latest and greatest": Sony WF-1000XM4

Definitely improvement on Buds+, much less irritating highs. It's almost great as is, the default downwards tilt is good since I like to play quite loud. Some high boost is good for quieter listening.

Fit and comfort tad worse, but that's personal. The foam tips are a bit awkward to get in, but once there they do stay in regardless of headbanging.

Top Bottom