• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Creative Aurvana Ace 2 Review

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
postPXL_2Small.jpg
I just got the Creative Labs Aurvana Ace2 today and had a few hours to compare to other IEM's. Recently I've had the Sennheiser Momentum 2, 3 and Jabra Elite 85t to compare. Here's a quick summary since most of the information out there is press releases or a couple of people who had brief access to pre-production units. I bought these with my own money, so no conflict of interest if you buy them or not. Tested with a Bluetooth 5.3 adapter and FLAC files, and Destiny 2 for gaming. For phones it was a Google Pixel 2 and Moto G Power.

The Creative lab phone app wouldn't connect with the 2 phones I tried. Not a big deal since all the functions work from button taps anyway. I'm sure they'll update the app in the future. The only unknown is when the Creative app gets updated, seeing if there's EQ profiles to see if there's a flat one to set as default. The nozzle size is oval, 4mm x 5mm so tips like the Jabra should fit. The stock tips are really nice, and should fit just about anyone. The ear buds are light and smooth, no hard edges.

PXL_20231218_193550070.jpg

When I first got them I tried without any noise cancelling to get a baseline of the sound. The bass was too boosted and boomy at loud volume and vocals sounded thinner but not recessed. Then I broke out the manual and turned on the adaptive noise cancelling, and the improvement was night and day. These sound more like the Truthear Zero Blue with ANC turned on. The bass is much more controlled, vocals sound lush and natural. If you get them, it's going to be with ANC on or you probably won't want to use them much. They cancel sound really well too. I tested with speakers playing at a pretty good clip, and couldn't hear anything right in front of them. The xMEMS drivers for mids and treble are really fast, heavy metal fans will love the speed. No congestion except the low bass at high volumes, and songs where it's just thumping the whole time. It doesn't bleed into the mids as much as loses detail during busy bass heavy tracks.
Comparison: The Sennheiser Momentum 3 I just had a couple of days ago outclasses it in the bass department with detail and accuracy. When it comes to mids and highs, they're pretty equal except during really fast tracks where the Ace 2 excels. Also when ANC is on, with the Ace 2 it's really silent, on the Sennheiser I remember that faint white noise during silent time between tracks. These beat the Jabra 85t in every category. If you factor in price, then it's a competitor to the Sennheiser Momentum 2, but not really fair to compare it to the 3rd version.

If you do a shelf filter to lower the bass -3db then they become fun for gaming. Explosions with stock settings are just too much. I couldn't detect any lag when going into busy areas in Destiny 2, and for video on the FireTV Cube everything syncs fine. Soundstage and imaging is really good. Instruments sound separated, just not as much front to back depth as width which is very good. I got about five hours of use on the battery at near max volume since I did a preamp reduction to tinker with an equalizer. The case supports wireless charging, and on the bottom there's a reset hole, and a button for pairing them while in the case. For sports they'd be really good, but haven't looked up the IPX rating yet. They fit well and don't feel like I could shake them off even when running.

In summary, these are really enjoyable with adaptive noise cancelling on, most similar to the Truthear Zero Blue (I have a pair of them here too). With ANC off you won't like them that much, ambient mode was ok, but I wouldn't use it (distracting). You can game with them if you EQ the bass down or explosions are too much. One edge over the Sennheiser is the microphone works great in Windows without a fuss. I remember having fits trying to get the Momentum 2 microphone setup in Windows. The mic is just 16 bit 16000hz quality though, playback is 16 bit 48000khz in Windows settings. Range is as good through a 2 story townhouse on both floors and even a little outside. If you get a pair at MSRP it's a good deal, but if you're really demanding, the Sennheiser Momentum 3 is just better (and more expensive). If you're into heavy metal it's able to keep up with the fastest guitar solo or cymbals/high hats, but hiphop or EDM it'll get congested sometimes. At this price point these are worth the money, but they aren't going to dethrone Sennheiser. Momentum 3 is still king if you have the money for them (or willing to buy used at the same price).

Pros:
Comfortable, secure fit.
5 hours battery life at high volume
Adaptive noise cancelling is excellent
Soundstage is wide
Imaging and seperation of instruments very good (for mids and highs)

Cons:
Creative app sees them but couldn't connect
Unknown if there's a default EQ that can be changed to something less bassy
Bass driver is much slower than the lightning fast solid state drivers
Must keep ANC on for best sound quality

hardlok

View attachment 335591
I just got the Creative Labs Aurvana Ace2 today and had a few hours to compare to other IEM's. Recently I've had the Sennheiser Momentum 2, 3 and Jabra Elite 85t to compare. Here's a quick summary since most of the information out there is press releases or a couple of people who had brief access to pre-production units. I bought these with my own money, so no conflict of interest if you buy them or not. Tested with a Bluetooth 5.3 adapter and FLAC files, and Destiny 2 for gaming. For phones it was a Google Pixel 2 and Moto G Power.

The Creative lab phone app wouldn't connect with the 2 phones I tried. Not a big deal since all the functions work from button taps anyway. I'm sure they'll update the app in the future. The only unknown is when the Creative app gets updated, seeing if there's EQ profiles to see if there's a flat one to set as default. The nozzle size is oval, 4mm x 5mm so tips like the Jabra should fit. The stock tips are really nice, and should fit just about anyone. The ear buds are light and smooth, no hard edges.

View attachment 335592

When I first got them I tried without any noise cancelling to get a baseline of the sound. The bass was too boosted and boomy at loud volume and vocals sounded thinner but not recessed. Then I broke out the manual and turned on the adaptive noise cancelling, and the improvement was night and day. These sound more like the Truthear Zero Blue with ANC turned on. The bass is much more controlled, vocals sound lush and natural. If you get them, it's going to be with ANC on or you probably won't want to use them much. They cancel sound really well too. I tested with speakers playing at a pretty good clip, and couldn't hear anything right in front of them. The xMEMS drivers for mids and treble are really fast, heavy metal fans will love the speed. No congestion except the low bass at high volumes, and songs where it's just thumping the whole time. It doesn't bleed into the mids as much as loses detail during busy bass heavy tracks.
Comparison: The Sennheiser Momentum 3 I just had a couple of days ago outclasses it in the bass department with detail and accuracy. When it comes to mids and highs, they're pretty equal except during really fast tracks where the Ace 2 excels. Also when ANC is on, with the Ace 2 it's really silent, on the Sennheiser I remember that faint white noise during silent time between tracks. These beat the Jabra 85t in every category. If you factor in price, then it's a competitor to the Sennheiser Momentum 2, but not really fair to compare it to the 3rd version.

If you do a shelf filter to lower the bass -3db then they become fun for gaming. Explosions with stock settings are just too much. I couldn't detect any lag when going into busy areas in Destiny 2, and for video on the FireTV Cube everything syncs fine. Soundstage and imaging is really good. Instruments sound separated, just not as much front to back depth as width which is very good. I got about five hours of use on the battery at near max volume since I did a preamp reduction to tinker with an equalizer. The case supports wireless charging, and on the bottom there's a reset hole, and a button for pairing them while in the case. For sports they'd be really good, but haven't looked up the IPX rating yet. They fit well and don't feel like I could shake them off even when running.

In summary, these are really enjoyable with adaptive noise cancelling on, most similar to the Truthear Zero Blue (I have a pair of them here too). With ANC off you won't like them that much, ambient mode was ok, but I wouldn't use it (distracting). You can game with them if you EQ the bass down or explosions are too much. One edge over the Sennheiser is the microphone works great in Windows without a fuss. I remember having fits trying to get the Momentum 2 microphone setup in Windows. The mic is just 16 bit 16000hz quality though, playback is 16 bit 48000khz in Windows settings. Range is as good through a 2 story townhouse on both floors and even a little outside. If you get a pair at MSRP it's a good deal, but if you're really demanding, the Sennheiser Momentum 3 is just better (and more expensive). If you're into heavy metal it's able to keep up with the fastest guitar solo or cymbals/high hats, but hiphop or EDM it'll get congested sometimes. At this price point these are worth the money, but they aren't going to dethrone Sennheiser. Momentum 3 is still king if you have the money for them (or willing to buy used at the same price).

Pros:
Comfortable, secure fit.
5 hours battery life at high volume
Adaptive noise cancelling is excellent
Soundstage is wide
Imaging and seperation of instruments very good (for mids and highs)

Cons:
Creative app sees them but couldn't connect
Unknown if there's a default EQ that can be changed to something less bassy
Bass driver is much slower than the lightning fast solid state drivers
Must keep ANC on for best sound quality
Thanks for the review! Hard to find many real reviews at this point as most of the early ones were either sponsored or casual reviews with prototype units.
Regarding the xMEMs tech, it is sadly, only used for the treble, I think. The dynamic driver does the bass/mids. Overall, I heard the prototype unit without ANC and at no point did the treble sound fast and ethereal as suggested by the hype.

Was told that firmware updates could bring improvements in future.

Merry Xmas!

Gabrielll

Merry Christmas to everybody!
Thanks for the rview. I am also curious to try these earbuds as I intend to get the IFI Audio iDSD Diablo 2 ( https://ifi-audio.com/products/idsd-diablo-2/ ) which has a xMEMS function to be used with that type of earbuds. At 180 Euro the price for Aurvana Ace 2 is not a huge risk and I presume / hope that the IFI - Aurvana duo could be a good combination. What do you think about this?

Vman

Thanks for the review! I just created an account to appreciate your message. Merry christmas!

beej65

Hi everyone, I too have been auditioning the Aurvana Ace 2's the last week or two. Sound sources are my MBP and Google Pixel 4a. For reference, my headphone setup of late has been the Audeze i3s (also relatively new to me, bought on sale last month), with or without a Qudelix 5K DAC/AMP and its amazing EQ correction.

I have felt no need to run the Ace 2s through any kind of correction or amp. Agree with Dunring above, ANC ON is the best for listening, ANC OFF is ok for less critical listening, I would only use "ambient mode" if I absolutely had to hear what was going on outside. ANC is adaptive so no tweaking as far as I could tell, but it's not necessary.
I'm an amateur mixer (of music), I feel comfortable mixing on the Ace 2s as I do on the i3s.
The fit is fine, not quite as secure as either the i3s or even my AirPods Pro (with Dekoni tips), but the Ace 2s are lighter than either so very comfortable.
Sound is close to the i3s, or my regular sized headphones (Avantone Planars, Rode NTH-100s, Adam SP-5s for example though of course the latter two, being closed back, have a narrower soundstage).

For (only?) $150. + shipping, highly recommend the Ace 2s.

staticV3

Master Contributor
At 180 Euro the price for Aurvana Ace 2 is not a huge risk and I presume / hope that the IFI - Aurvana duo could be a good combination. What do you think about this?
I don't think that you can connect those two. The Aurvana is a pure Bluetooth IEM.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just two EQ filters required:
Screenshot_20231231-165336_Chrome.png

Edit: same thing but with my own IEM target:
Screenshot_20231231-165713_Chrome.png

Attachments

• Creative Aurvana Ace 2 - static IEM target.txt
    113 bytes · Views: 67
  • Creative Aurvana Ace 2 - Harman IE2019v2.txt
    113 bytes · Views: 46
Last edited:

leonasj500

does worth to look at Creative Aurvana Ace 2 from apple airpods pro2? how tone timbre and overall sound quality vs AAPP2 ?

beej65

does worth to look at Creative Aurvana Ace 2 from apple airpods pro2? how tone timbre and overall sound quality vs AAPP2 ?
If you don't miss the spatial audio/Apple specific features, I think they're comparable. I describe the Ace 2 sound as "clean," even uncorrected.

leonasj500

If you don't miss the spatial audio/Apple specific features, I think they're comparable. I describe the Ace 2 sound as "clean," even uncorrected.
im listen airpods pro2 from dap. never from iphone,so,spatial no need. how details,resolution ace 2 vs airpods pro2? noble focus mystique still better vs Ace 2 in sound quality?

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Terrific.

I like them a lot.

My preference now is Aurvana Ace 2, Zero Red, Zero.

The future is here, in my ears.

They reproduce faithfully every single nuance
I placed in my latest song, with utmost clarity and detail.

Congratulations, Creative.

Last edited:

leonasj500

Terrific.

I like them a lot.

cant ace2 beat mystique in SQ as mystique has 1DD 2BA and sound comprable vs <1kilobuck iems.

leonasj500

Terrific.

I like them a lot.

you simply not tried noble mystique. never 1DD cant compare to multi DD BA tws

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you simply not tried noble mystique. never 1DD cant compare to multi DD BA tws
Not true. I have listened to many IEMs with multiple driver configurations. For me, nothing beats IE200.
What is it that multi DD and BA earphones can do that 1DD can not in your opinion?

leonasj500

Not true. I have listened to many IEMs with multiple driver configurations. For me, nothing beats IE200.
What is it that multi DD and BA earphones can do that 1DD can not in your opinion?
in imaging,details,resolution,separation,clarity,micro and macro details,soundstage 1DD iem cant compare vs tribrids or even quadbrids like um mest ii or monarch mkiii or any othe 1DD 4BA 4EST iem or multi BA drivers like u12t,anole vx and similars.

leonasj500

You forgot timbre, impact and texture.
yes,i got epz q5,it is 1DD iem,it has natural timbre,impact sound ,good texture. but sounds like 50eur iem. nothink more. even z1r has 2DD 1BA, know for big soundstage ,and big bass,but its a big shell,heavy body and listen can on sit only,because not for walking use. thieaudio monarch mkiii for 2x lower price outperformed z1r easy in everywhere bass,mids and treble.

Top Bottom