• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best true wireless? (or value IEM)

OP
edahl

edahl

I listened to the Blessing 2 on a tour arranged by Moondrop, and yes--they are superb. Personally, although the standard model is the value pick, the Dusk would get my money. The Blessing lacks the bass to do justice to some of my bangers. But if you believe in a leaner, more traditional FR curve, the Blessings are impossible to beat at the price.

I can't seem to find the Dusk on ali, am I looking in the wrong place?

Hewbacca

I think any discussion of Airpod Pros needs to include what the source/player is. An iPhone (or other Apple product) uses exclusive magic that is behind Apple's walled garden, whereas any non-Apple device is using plain old Bluetooth. Sound quality, range, stability, resistance to interference, are all greatly improved when using an iPhone.

My answer here would be get Airpod Pros if you are in the Apple ecosystem (or at a minimum, use an iPhone), or the Sonys if you aren't. I can't see using Airpods with a non-Apple device as a primary use case.

I think rting's review of the Airpods is greatly flawed for example, and I think it is because their test rig is using Bluetooth and not "Apple magic interface that us mortals can't know."

OP
edahl

edahl

Has anyone tried the Fiio UTWS3? Kinda considering the 0.78mm (or MMCX with adapters, which are better?) with a pair of Moondrop B2 Dusk.

Duckofdeath

I think any discussion of Airpod Pros needs to include what the source/player is. An iPhone (or other Apple product) uses exclusive magic that is behind Apple's walled garden, whereas any non-Apple device is using plain old Bluetooth. Sound quality, range, stability, resistance to interference, are all greatly improved when using an iPhone.

My answer here would be get Airpod Pros if you are in the Apple ecosystem (or at a minimum, use an iPhone), or the Sonys if you aren't. I can't see using Airpods with a non-Apple device as a primary use case.

I think rting's review of the Airpods is greatly flawed for example, and I think it is because their test rig is using Bluetooth and not "Apple magic interface that us mortals can't know."

Lots of manufacturers use proprietary chips and codecs for BT. Samsung has done this for nearly ten years, which is why they can get so excellent latency and is the only brand able to dynamically reduce bitrate, without clipping or stuttering, if there's too much radio interference around you. The Chinese brands are also beginning to use proprietary codecs. It is the reason these manufacturers remove headphone jacks on everything. To sell you those 250 buck earbuds on top of that 1,000 buck phone.

That said, I do like my Galaxy Buds Pros. I have replaced the rubber ear tips with memory foam dittos, to get better passive sound isolation and (in my opinion) a better sound signature. Rubber tips often creates a pretty bloated sound, I think.

phrwn

Has anyone tried the Fiio UTWS3? Kinda considering the 0.78mm (or MMCX with adapters, which are better?) with a pair of Moondrop B2 Dusk.

I tried UTSW1's with U12t's. The design of the UTSW3 looks similar. I found them amazingly uncomfortable because there is no clearance between the IEM and the transmitter/receiver that sits behind your ear. When you take them off the two parts firmly press together and they don't seem to stretch out no matter how many contortions you put the hook through.

And then I had a failed connector on one of the U12t's. I don't know if this was a fault with the IEM or the Fiio, but I had to get it warranty replaced. This was the 2-pin connector. So there's that too.

elliott

Can't find a link but the one thing to remember when dealing with Apple Airpods Pros is that the ANC is very focused on the vocal range of frequencies, if I remember correctly, this is how they can stay so small and still have decent battery life with ANC, they don't block everything. This was important to me because I was previously using these as ear protection in my wood shop and realized that the APP won't protect from the lower freq noise of power tools, and I found myself turning the music up to hear better (a no no).

BigJim79

I got a set of Earfun Free 2 the other day and have been enjoying them. For £35 they have a decent mic and the tuning isn't bad at all, I EQ the mid bass down a bit and sort out some peaks around 5k and they are impressive for the price.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm between the new Sony WF-C500 and Sennheiser CX True Wireless. What do you think? I always tend to think that the sens will sound better... It's for a gift and I don't have any experience with wireless earbuds and I'm driving blind...

o7_brother

I'm between the new Sony WF-C500 and Sennheiser CX True Wireless. What do you think? I always tend to think that the sens will sound better... It's for a gift and I don't have any experience with wireless earbuds and I'm driving blind...
Sennheiser has a slightly strange "house sound" for their IEMs, where they lack upper mids compared to the Harman target, oratory1990's target, and crinacle's target. They're not horrible by any means, but I'd recommend you have a look at this guide: https://crinacle.com/guide/tws/

"Sens will sound better" - you know this company made the HD820, right? They are not incapable of making bad products.

Wunderphones

Sennheiser has a slightly strange "house sound" for their IEMs, where they lack upper mids compared to the Harman target, oratory1990's target, and crinacle's target. They're not horrible by any means, but I'd recommend you have a look at this guide: https://crinacle.com/guide/tws/

"Sens will sound better" - you know this company made the HD820, right? They are not incapable of making bad products.
More or less what they said ^^^, but going a little further: I have yet to see a Sennheiser IEM with a FR graph that is conventionally tuned. Go to Inearfidelity.com to see.

And while you're probably OK buying a Harman neutral, U shaped, or mild V based piece of gear on other users' recs, it's a very bad idea if the tuning is "special."

Hewbacca

I recently became aware of the Klipsch T5 II ANC. I haven't heard them but reviews I've seen indicate that they are at least on par with Airpods Pro functionality-wise, and sound better too. I would love to see someone objective and scientific review them (all the reviews I've seen have been consumer-electronic guys, so the sound quality is "amazing and clear" etc)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll go with Sony, leaving the exact model to eventual discounts and budget. Also, I feel that with this kind of products newer models are always better because of updated software protocols, better bluetooth receiver, etc. I'm kind of afraid of buying some old model at discount that won't work with the next phones generation. And I already spend too much time with computers to try to understand how all this stuff works to...

MrOtto

I just got my Earfun Air Pro 2. They are a little too much elevated on sub bass for my liking (seems like many TWS are), but they feel very true to the recording on other frequencies. Great features for $80 and free shipping. Both normal, ambient amplification and noise cancelling modes.

Rtings have measured both the first version and the second:

They feel a little short in my ear, regular smaller housing IEM sits better, seems like all TWS are big housing and short.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
I just got my Earfun Air Pro 2. They are a little too much elevated on sub bass for my liking (seems like many TWS are), but they feel very true to the recording on other frequencies. Great features for $80 and free shipping. Both normal, ambient amplification and noise cancelling modes.

They feel a little short in my ear, regular smaller housing IEM sits better, seems like all TWS are big housing and short.
Just got the EF Air Pro 2 Weds, used them once, and I like everything about them, EXCEPT they're uncomfortable in my ear. The ear tip is too close to the bulb of the internals for me. Unfortunately a game ender. I'll be sending them back and looking for another pair that fit properly.

Otherwise, I got a great deal on them at Amazon for under $50.

Wunderphones

It's freaking crazy: the ONE THING that's going to get earbuds to sit still in your ear--a good insert depth--is the one thing that almost nobody offers. I assume it's in the interest of keeping the charging case small, or maybe just that people are squeamish about having stuff deep inside their head, but it's bad nonetheless. Basically, the first thing I started looking for in TWS IEMs was a long stem.

It seems counterintuitive, but the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro, which look like the stubbiest of them all, actually work better than most, because the whole housing slides into the ear canal, instead of just the stem. There really *isn't* a stem to speak of.

On the cheaper end, Aiwa has some earbuds that I would buy if I wasn't already perfectly happy with the Samsungs. They're meant to fit entirely in the bowl of the ear, and have what looks like a longer stem.

OP
edahl

edahl

It's freaking crazy: the ONE THING that's going to get earbuds to sit still in your ear--a good insert depth--is the one thing that almost nobody offers. I assume it's in the interest of keeping the charging case small, or maybe just that people are squeamish about having stuff deep inside their head, but it's bad nonetheless. Basically, the first thing I started looking for in TWS IEMs was a long stem.

It seems counterintuitive, but the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro, which look like the stubbiest of them all, actually work better than most, because the whole housing slides into the ear canal, instead of just the stem. There really *isn't* a stem to speak of.

On the cheaper end, Aiwa has some earbuds that I would buy if I wasn't already perfectly happy with the Samsungs. They're meant to fit entirely in the bowl of the ear, and have what looks like a longer stem.
I spent almost a whole week getting used to the idea that the WF-1000XM4's wouldn't fall out. I'm in your camp, but somehow they stay in despite very little stem. Seal can be rough though, so I'm using larger tips than I perhaps usually would.

Top Bottom