• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind test: we have a volunteer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenOne

Not Active
Translating, do you mean that the proctor would move the inputs to the switcher on every iteration? That seems onerous and error prone.

I was thinking that you don't have control of the switch. The proctor generates the random number 0 (Magnius) and 1(other). Whichever this is, is the one you hear and you get to say if it is Magnius or the other.
Im not sure why it'd be an issue? The test is intended to see if the difference between two amps is audible. If there is no difference then I won't be able to reliably tell. I'm sure that doing it with a switch vs fixed source will provide different levels of reliability. But the intent is to see if there is an audible difference. So it'd make sense to provide any potential advantage that doesn't compromise things.

The xlr connectors will be clearly labelled for the camera so that if there were any mistakes it'd be immediately obvious and going into the adi-2 Pro as well so there shouldn't be any issue.

In regards to the ahb2, perhaps John Siau (not sure what his tag in here is) could confirm that the ahb2 is indeed load invariant?
He confirmed as much to me in an email a while back but I'm guessing people would want to hear it from him directly.

If not, I'd probably be OK to use the atom but honestly haven't spent much time with it so would need to check if I can actually hear a difference between it and magnius first. There are definitely some amps I can't hear the difference between so I'm not making any claims of audibility between those two given as I've not tried yet.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
- Will aim to do 30 runs to be thorough, p-value of 0.05 to be considered a pass
I want to make sure we run each test so that it stands alone on its own. That is, you pick one clip and one clip only and experiment is repeated until p< 0.05. If you then want to repeat the test with another clip you can.

GoldenOne

Not Active
I want to make sure we run each test so that it stands alone on its own. That is, you pick one clip and one clip only and experiment is repeated until p< 0.05. If you then want to repeat the test with another clip you can.
OK I'm happy with that. I'll select one song for the duration of the whole test

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the problem: I need to verify the two choices don't have any objective difference. I don't have an AHB2 but do have Topping A90, Atom, etc. Otherwise people will wonder what an AHB2 does to a high impedance headphone.

Should they? The AHB2 got your highest unconditional recommendation, no?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

KiyPhi

Know what kinda sucks? Even if people can or can't blind test DACs, I'm still here unable to blind test 96kbps OPUS vs FLACs (hi-res or not).

Yo bossman, I know you answered me before on how Harman has some sort of listener training program. Or was it some other company? Or was it multiple companies that offer such education. But do you have any details on what one has to do to become: "a trained listener".

For that matter, can anyone else chime in?
This is a good starting point. Has frequency, noise, imbalance, location, hum, and a few other training programs. When you get to a good level on this, you will be able to tell what frequencies are off and what non-frequency stuff you are hearing.

KiyPhi

Susvara would be really cool considering its gained legendary status for needing amplification that costs about the same as the HP's themselves to bring out it's potential. Magnius should have enough power for them?
They're not that bad. HE6 had the same rep, my HE6se were less sensitive and ran fine on an Atom. Ran them through a speaker amp just to be safe and it sounded basically the same.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Another issue with using AHB2 is that even though it's an impressive speaker amp, some things are not that acceptable for headphone amp. The frequency response variation in the highs is almost at audible point. So you'd better off using ruler flat amps for blind test.

GoldenOne

Not Active
Another issue with using AHB2 is that even though it's an impressive speaker amp, some things are not that acceptable for headphone amp. The frequency response variation in the highs is almost at audible point. So you'd better off using ruler flat amps for blind test.
That's a fair point.
I'm probably happy to do the atom instead then. (Though as said need to actually try it vs magnius before committing. Have not spent much time with the atom at all so don't want to make any statements about what I can/can't hear before trying of course.)

A supporter is happy to lend me their magnius so I'll have that in soon.

bboris77

That's a fair point.
I'm probably happy to do the atom instead then. (Though as said need to actually try it vs magnius before committing. Have not spent much time with the atom at all so don't want to make any statements about what I can/can't hear before trying of course.)

The Magni 3+ would likely be easier to distinguish from the Magnius compared to the Atom.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a fair point.

Will each test specimen be tested on an AP to QC each before subjective evaluation?

GoldenOne

Not Active
The Magni 3+ would likely be easier to distinguish from the Magnius compared to the Atom.
I've no idea but it's again a bit tricky to get ahold of in the UK. Might as well give the atom a go first given as I've got one here

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is the problem: I need to verify the two choices don't have any objective difference. I don't have an AHB2 but do have Topping A90, Atom, etc. Otherwise people will wonder what an AHB2 does to a high impedance headphone.

This is important. The other amp needs to be one that Amir is confident will not have a sound signature. Ideally, both amps will be sourced from a neutral party to rule out the possibility of tampering. Also, the headphones need to be the same headphones that GO was listening to when he didn't like the sound of the Schiit amplifier.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I disagree with this. We don't listen to music in mono, I'm not used to it, and it removes much of the elements of stuff like spatial presentation which in my opinion are often some of the more apparent changes. Playing mono wouldn't be representative of real-world use.
That's exactly why an AB test should be conducted in mono too, not just in stereo, to remove the spatiality. This will ease things up in perceiving details retrieving differences or bass differences etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom