• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does silver used in interconnects "sound" different than copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiansen

Bring evidence. Hand waves and repeated unsupported assertions don't cut it except for the faith-based audio niche. No evidence, no understanding of basics, yeah that indeed will not inspire anyone to take your claims seriously.

It get's down to my oft-repeated mantra: If you can hear it without peeking, you can hear it. If you can't hear it without peeking, you can't hear it. It's not complicated.

I am disgusted with the "high end" audio industry, not just because of the proliferation of scams, but in how the industry (and its mouthpieces) actively engage in increasing ignorance. IMO, it is a deeply immoral practice.

Yes You run on repeat, I have explained where my beliefs come from,
I can not and will not ignore my or anyone else's senses.

I do not like storytelling and Technobabble, but I do have a certain understanding,
When you need to sell something where you do not really understand what makes the product good, you have three options.
You can say, as it is, we do not quite understand why the product sounds good, but buy it, only $10000, it does not sell.

Or you can tell about all the fine materials and components you use and wrap it all in mystery and exclusivity.

Or you can provide good storytelling, "invent" a "significant problem", which after several years of intense research now has finally been solved. We last saw that technique with Galen Garies / iconoclast and cable delay.
It is probably the most used sales method . But sometimes something significant has been invented, such as with Beolab 90. But it is not very often that it happens.
Ps.
Just want to add that the hi-fi manufacturers I know are honest people who are dedicated to hi-fi and the dream of making it perfect and many of them started as Diy, I think that is general for the industry.
But few products sell themselves

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes You run on repeat, I have explained where my beliefs come from,

I do not like storytelling and Techno blah blah, but I do have a certain understanding,
When you need to sell something where you do not really understand what makes the product good, you have three options.
You can say, as it is, we do not quite understand why the product sounds good, but buy it, only $10000, it does not sell.

Or you can tell about all the fine materials and components you use and wrap it all in mystery and exclusivity.

Or you can provide good storytelling, "invent" a "significant problem", which after several years of intense research now has finally been solved. We last saw that technique with Galen Garies / iconoclast and cable delay.
It is probably the most used sales method . But sometimes something significant has been invented, such as with Beolab 90. But it is not very often that it happens.

Evidence >>> beliefs. Come back when you have some.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So -- I was thinking about pain in the context of exactly this kind of discussion this morning (in terms of chronic pain management and opiates and opioids). I am not an expert on pain, but I do think that perception of pain varies widely between individuals (and within an individual, depending upon circumstances).
That said, I am an expert on ligand-receptor interaction, and the quantitative analysis thereof. I vividly remember seeing the late Candace Pert (then junior faculty after a storied stint as a grad student in Sol Snyder's lab at Johns Hopkins' Sch. of Med.) give a talk about opiate receptors. Their quantitative assay involved a rat and a hot plate. The rat (sans or avec a dose of an opiate) is placed on a hot plate, and the time it take before the poor test subject begins to exhibit discomfort (basically by dancing around) is measured. The result was repeatable and reproducible. Opiates could delay the onset of discomfort, based on this assay, with a classic (and quantitative) semi-logarithmic dose-response curve. The relative strength of painkillers (e.g.) could be reliably quantified by this assay.

View attachment 121612
The dose-response curves above show the effect of morphine pre-treatement (vs. saline control) on the dose-response curve for morphine to decrease pain sensitivity ("hot plate latency" - a measure of pain insensitivity), quantitatively illustrating an aspect of morphine tolerance.
Ingram et al. (2007) Neuropsychopharmacology 32(3):600-6
DOI: 10.1038/sj.npp.1301139

I am not sure we can as easily quantify or rank one human's perception of pain compared to another's -- ethics notwithstanding! ;)
There are aspects of audio perception that might be analogous, and I note that the scientific tools used to determine preferences and whatnot seem to use the tools of the social and behaviorial sciences. I am not knocking those branches of study nor the "Harman target curve" and whatnot at all -- just offering some perspective.
We need to meet up at some point. I did some work on estrogen and androgen receptors and would love to pick your brain a bit.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

No one is asking you to. In fact, we are hoping you will do a test that isolates your hearing, so you can demonstrate what you are claiming.

Without controls, you are wasting your time.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Just want to add that the hi-fi manufacturers I know are honest people who are dedicated to hi-fi and the dream of making it perfect and many of them started as Diy, I think that is general for the industry.

In several cases a basic understanding of electronics would have helped.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have just acquired a small quantity of Unobtanium as of April 1st, 2021!

I am going to manufacture five directional, non-binary sets of interconnects, two 3.14159 meter sets of speaker cables and one highly exclusive single monogamous 110 V 56 amp power cable.

I will be accepting orders in Bitcoin in the amount of 20BC for each set.

Ordering closes at midnight last...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have just acquired a small quantity of Unobtanium as of April 1st, 2021!

I am going to manufacture five directional, non-binary sets of interconnects, two 3.14159 meter sets of speaker cables and one highly exclusive single monogamous 110 V 56 amp power cable.

I will be accepting orders in Bitcoin in the amount of 20BC for each set.

Ordering closes at midnight last...

Is there a volume discount available?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I'll take 7!
(And looks like I might save on shipping! :) )

IMG_10550.jpg

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Whoops!! Did not even think about that!

Sorry

kristiansen

I'm unfamiliar with this genre of music, or possibly this particular branch of science.

:cool:
Yes it's some nonsense google has written, could you tell me what i should have written.
Maybe technique blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom