• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A vs 8351B

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is of course totally ridiculous to use 8361As that close, especially with a sub which he apparently also has... lol.

Why of course? Genelec themselves say that once you're between .3 and .5 meters you're good to go.

It may look crazy with how large they are, but I'd only say he's obviously too close if these were regular 3 way speakers with lobeing, different dispersion patterns for each driver, and a myriad of other issues common to "slap a driver on a box" monitors that most make.

With these, you can't go by old paradigms about legacy speaker designs. Other Cabasse, Devialet, and maybe Gethain, yeah, obviously too close because nobody else makes acoustically "triaxial" / three way coincident monitors.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why of course? Genelec themselves say that once you're between .3 and .5 meters you're good to go.

I don't think there is any technical problem. I'm more saying the choice of 8361A is ridiculous, especially with a sub. I can't think of a single advantage to paying $2000 more for the 8361A, max SPL will already be way above safe levels. I assume the point of the setup video is just to show the ridiculous, most expensive option.

Honestly, at that distance I would use 8341A or even 8331A and be more than happy with it.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I don't think there is any technical problem. I'm more saying the choice of 8361A is ridiculous, especially with a sub. I can't think of a single advantage to paying $2000 more for the 8361A, max SPL will already be way above safe levels. I assume the point of the setup video is just to show the ridiculous, most expensive option.

Honestly, at that distance I would use 8341A or even 8331A and be more than happy with it.
Being CD down to 200~250 Hz in the vertical plane is nice, though.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being CD down to 200~250 Hz in the vertical plane is nice, though.

Agreed. Why not go larger if you can afford it? Seems like the bigger the waveguide the better. I'd go for the W371 pair and 8341B I think, but that's even more money.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Agreed. Why not go larger if you can afford it? Seems like the bigger the waveguide the better. I'd go for the W371 pair and 8341B I think, but that's even more money.
The 8361A has the best LF directivity control amongst the Ones, as the waveguide controls low enough to meet the d'Appolito control, while said d'Appolito control goes really low. Too bad the on and off axis response and power response are inferior to its smaller sibling.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I could have bought the 8361A, but I could not find a single rational reason to do so other than SPL output. I don't at all see the 8361A as better than the 8351B, regardless of a small difference in LF directivity control. The other measurements are better on the 8351B, and I'm not sure how you would even justify LF directivity having any effect in the extreme nearfield. Especially when rotating the 8351B seems to do nothing in at least some further distance cases.

But I also wouldn't do it purely for aesthetics, frankly. It looks really stupid to mount 70lb 24" bookshelves like that.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The 8361A has the best LF directivity control amongst the Ones, as the waveguide controls low enough to meet the d'Appolito control, while said d'Appolito control goes really low. Too bad the on and off axis response and power response are inferior to its smaller sibling.
How does it effect the sound, and how is it possible because the 8361A is the flagship and should be better than 8351B?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How does it effect the sound, and how is it possible because the 8361A is the flagship and should be better than 8351B?
Nothing will be better in every way. In this case, loudness was a priority, particularly in the bass region. It is definitely better there. Genelec makes many measurements of their speakers, and I am sure the 8361A is better in a number of them. At this level of quality, it is about trade-offs. Some of the areas where the 8351B is "better" may not be better in a meaningful way, particularly with GLM in place.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's weird that they went with the 8351B and not 8361A but still cool.
Btw is there any 2L materiel on Tidal?

8351b is the better speaker if you've got the W371. You won't really be using the woofers, so the better dispersion of the 8351 makes it the better speaker.

Top Bottom