• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A vs 8351B

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
In my country the S360 ans 1237A cost the same, I'd take the 1237.
genelec_1237apm_1237a_tri_amplified_sam_monitor_1408464350000_1076128.jpg

Hephaestus

I have a quite small living room, but the speakers are already at the limit of this. Also 8361 adds 1000 $ to price (per each vs S360). For a tool, I would pick the "ones", for listening I would prefer S360.

For a longer listening distance S360 is definitely better choice. I was actually initially buying S360 but absolutely fell in love with 8361A as they sound great in different locations in the room thanks to coaxial design. S360 has subjectively the "snappiest" upper bass in the Genelec line up :)
They measure very well and can be had for 6285 Eur per pair (VAT included) - Very good value indeed.

bungle

The 8351B is what you should take, not the S360, then.

Why? If in my small living room the speakers are already around 3 meters away (from each other and from the main listening point), the S360 would be a better fit (now imagine that in decent size living room). I have used 8040 and 8050 on the same room and I can say that staying at the same size (going with 8351) is not an option to me (I would gain a bit because of new design, but nothing ground breaking). Bigger is better as long as you can fit them to room nicely.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
For a longer listening distance S360 is definitely better choice. I was actually initially buying S360 but absolutely fell in love with 8361A as they sound great in different locations in the room thanks to coaxial design. S360 has subjectively the "snappiest" upper bass in the Genelec line up :)
They measure very well and can be had for 6285 Eur per pair (VAT included) - Very good value indeed.
In what website can you buy them for that price? Thanks.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which of the three, 8361, S360, 1237 has the best horizontal dispersion for 2.5 meter listening distance? Or would Neumann KH310 be better?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

. I wonder how serious the bass has to be from such small enclosures... I use 3 subwoofer ( 15 inches) in my HT. Not a matter of SPL, I rarely go over 90 dB, but of scale and heft ... thus I wonder how serious the bass could be, from such smallish enclosures an come to think smallish drivers ... Not saying it can't but ...
I know this flies in the face of what we at ASR hold dear, namely measurements and Science but ...
COVID-19 be damned !!! Slowing the world to a crawl while destroying many lives ... much less important in that scheme of things, I no longer have the luxury to travel and listen/audition... I will at some point, have to go sight unseen or at least on the account of the collective, to make a decision... Sooooo , subjective opinions about the heft and quality of reproduction from these Genelec and equivalent are welcome...

P.S. not talking about the Genelec 1237 or the dear to my mind Neuman KH 420

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Owning the 8260, if I had to do it all over again... I'd go for the 8351B if I could afford it, simply because if I could afford that now, then I could likely afford a pair of W371 speakers in the future.

If the price matters to you though, and you can't afford a subwoofer with GLM, get the 8260 used for $5k and enjoy the extended bass. The S360 is also a very flat, "Genelec" sound to my ears listening at a show, but vertical dispersion and bass extension are going to be lacking.

Should have a Swarm/DEBRA subwoofer array (4 subs in parallel) soon, and for $8000 total, it should compete with just about anything if the goal is even frequency response across a wide area with excellent control of peaks and nulls.

If you're considering pairing other subs with these Genelec models for deeper bass, make sure you have a way to integrate them perfectly without GLM. I tried many positions for two PSA subs all along the front wall, and even using a MiniDSP and REW was not able to integrate them well enough for them to sound like a single unit. Might have been able to fix things with a third sub or additional tinkering, but the difference between subwoofers and Genelecs was quite apparent.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Judging by the specs they should all be as loud@ 118db and the 8361A goes down the lowest
What am i missing here.
Also only the 8361A reaches 43khz so maybe its a new tweeter or maybe they changed something i don't know
Screenshot_20210121-203400.jpg
Screenshot_20210121-203332.jpg
Screenshot_20210121-203418.jpg

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi

. I wonder how serious the bass has to be from such small enclosures... I use 3 subwoofer ( 15 inches) in my HT. Not a matter of SPL, I rarely go over 90 dB, but of scale and heft ... thus I wonder how serious the bass could be, from such smallish enclosures an come to think smallish drivers ... Not saying it can't but ...
I know this flies in the face of what we at ASR hold dear, namely measurements and Science but ...
COVID-19 be damned !!! Slowing the world to a crawl while destroying many lives ... much less important in that scheme of things, I no longer have the luxury to travel and listen/audition... I will at some point, have to go sight unseen or at least on the account of the collective, to make a decision... Sooooo , subjective opinions about the heft and quality of reproduction from these Genelec and equivalent are welcome...

P.S. not talking about the Genelec 1237 or the dear to my mind Neuman KH 420

I get 3% THD at 100 dB SPL 100 hz.

Masza

Has anyone compared 1032C and 8351B?

My own experience is that the Genelecs with the aluminium cabinets (8030, 8040, 8340) have sounded more pleasant in my apartments than Genelecs with more traditional cabinets (M030, 1032C). I also read that the design of 83x1 series could help with rooms that have acoustical problems, also in the lower frequencies. That's why I started to wonder how 8351B could sound in my listening room...

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Has anyone compared 1032C and 8351B?

My own experience is that the Genelecs with the aluminium cabinets (8030, 8040, 8340) have sounded more pleasant in my apartments than Genelecs with more traditional cabinets (M030, 1032C). I also read that the design of 83x1 series could help with rooms that have acoustical problems, also in the lower frequencies. That's why I started to wonder how 8351B could sound in my listening room...
Same, I've never fallen in love with a 1000 series Genelec. I've heard smaller two-ways and some very large soffit-mounted three-ways. In each case I'm not sure if it was the room, the implementation, the gear, or what, though in hindsight I do suspect more could have been done to flatter them. That said, the 8000 series changed my opinion about Genelec.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Same, I've never fallen in love with a 1000 series Genelec. I've heard smaller two-ways and some very large soffit-mounted three-ways. In each case I'm not sure if it was the room, the implementation, the gear, or what, though in hindsight I do suspect more could have been done to flatter them. That said, the 8000 series changed my opinion about Genelec.
The 1000 series is more "harsh" sounding, plus the cabinets are less suitable for home use(diffraction issues)
Although i haven't heard more high end models of the series 1237/8 so i can't really say
But I would take the Ones any day over them, aluminum enclosure + it's coaxial.
Although the 1237A is more powerful than even the 8361A.
Anyways i feel the Genelecs has the best tonality of any speaker i heard, they basically have no sound of their own and as the cliché goes, they "dissappear" so you can't go wrong with any of them

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Why? If in my small living room the speakers are already around 3 meters away (from each other and from the main listening point), the S360 would be a better fit (now imagine that in decent size living room). I have used 8040 and 8050 on the same room and I can say that staying at the same size (going with 8351) is not an option to me (I would gain a bit because of new design, but nothing ground breaking). Bigger is better as long as you can fit them to room nicely.
The S360 is designed primarily to deliver high spl. Not something you need in a small living room, unless you want to damage your ears really quick.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The S360 is designed primarily to deliver high spl. Not something you need in a small living room, unless you want to damage your ears really quick.
I wish it had an aluminum cabinet x it would have been much cooler

bungle

Perhaps, but it also fills the room better as the direct sound waves dominate over reflections. That is always a good thing. This is also a reason why bigger is often better, even in small rooms. Bigger speakers can fit a larger wave-guide.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Perhaps, but it also fills the room better as the direct sound waves dominate over reflections. That is always a good thing. This is also a reason why bigger is often better, even in small rooms. Bigger speakers can fit a larger wave-guide.
Designing a speaker is a matter of making compromises. The quest for very high spl will probably lead to less finesse.

You will never need the amount of spl that a S360 delivers. And more direct sound will automatically give more indirect sound. You cannot overpower indirect sound with more direct sound.

Top Bottom