• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Restin

The Modius fixed the ground loop I still had with the unabalanced Modi 3+. Have USB working no buzzing or static. The sub on XLR to TRS and the speakers on RCA, working good.

Veri

Master Contributor
The Modius fixed the ground loop I still had with the unabalanced Modi 3+. Have USB working no buzzing or static. The sub on XLR to TRS and the speakers on RCA, working good.
Nice set-up ;)

Restin

Thanks, getting the Sub8 and eris 3.5's calibrated. I am thinking about a Sys preamp for the subwoofer, since I think there is better sound quality with the windows audio setting to 100% volume.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Hi all,
Two quick questions:
  1. Does it remember the last selected input when turned off?
  2. Does it get any advantage from a linear PSU (I have already a good one)? On the schiit website the mentioned about another internal switcher ... :oops:
"Well, I’m gonna get me a fancy-shmantzy linear power supply, what do you think about that?
We think you’re a little strange, because the output of that fancy power supply is going into a switcher, anyway. But if it makes you happy, we’re not going to stop you. Nor will we try to sell you such a power supply."
Yes.

No, but it won't hurt anything either.

Veri

Master Contributor
@JohnYang1997 What do you think about pairing D50S with asgard 3. Or modius would be more suitable?
Don't see why D50s would not mate well with asgard. Modius is interesting to have balanced outputs if you'd ever need those, though.

Senegalas

Don't see why D50s would not mate well with asgard. Modius is interesting to have balanced outputs if you'd ever need those, though.
It's just that I will use planar headphones so a bit of warmth is welcome with these.

Veri

Master Contributor
It's just that I will use planar headphones so a bit of warmth is welcome with these.
Well. For sake of future proof-ness, I would recommend Modius maybe, I'm sure it'll sound great for your use ;)

Senegalas

Well. For sake of future proof-ness, I would recommend Modius maybe, I'm sure it'll sound great for your use ;)
No screen or BT tho /: Also usb Micro. So I wanna get modius only if it has any audible advantages

Coldsnap

'As a big fan of balanced XLR outputs (to reduce chances of nasty ground loops due to connection to PCs), I am happy to recommend the Schiit Modius. '

Just a question on this. If you do something like PC USB port -> Modius XLR Output -> Jotenheim 2 XLR Input. Will this mostly eliminate any chances of getting ground loop hum from your PC? Ive got some hum coming from my USB port, or any ports in my PC for that matter, so looking to rectify this.

Last edited:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
'As a big fan of balanced XLR outputs (to reduce chances of nasty ground loops due to connection to PCs), I am happy to recommend the Schiit Modius. '

Just a question on this. If you do something like PC USB port -> Modius XLR Output -> Jotenheim 2 XLR Input. Will this mostly eliminate any chances of getting ground loop hum from your PC? Ive got some hum coming from my USB port, or any ports in my PC for that matter, so looking to rectify this.
Yes

Ellie

Ok, looks like possibly a Modius + Jotunheim 2 is in my near future then. As it seems like I'm having a ground issue with my Asgard 3, which is a bummer because I do like how it sounds.

Why the Jotunheim 2 over a Magnius? Its single-ended performance is just as bad as the Magnius if not worse, it measures worse and uses more power, and costs twice as much.

If you're using an external DAC anyway, there's no reason to throw away your cash on something that offers you no benefit.

thetrystero

i'm thinking of pairing this dac with the audiophonics nc252mp xlr, then out to the elac dbr-62. this is for my living room and i will need to connect my TV via toslink. the test says toslink "degrades significantly". how much of a real world issue will this pose?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
i'm thinking of pairing this dac with the audiophonics nc252mp xlr, then out to the elac dbr-62. this is for my living room and i will need to connect my TV via toslink. the test says toslink "degrades significantly". how much of a real world issue will this pose?

None.

'Switching to either Coax or Toslink optical degrades performance a fair bit objectively:

index.php

But with levels near -120 dB, definitely not something you will hear."

zanzibar

None.

'Switching to either Coax or Toslink optical degrades performance a fair bit objectively:

index.php

But with levels near -120 dB, definitely not something you will hear."

There's no way to distinguish truly without testing the Modius in your system but in the living room, you could ask a dog or cat if they were negatively impacted via toslink.

And maybe a parrot?

SeaNNyT

If you use USB for the data and the other USB port for the external power, will it turn off when the computer is shut down? Or will it assume you are using the USB now as the power too? Don't want to have to constantly pull the USB out to turn it off.

milosz

Forum Donor
There's no way to distinguish truly without testing the Modius in your system but in the living room, you could ask a dog or cat if they were negatively impacted via toslink.

And maybe a parrot?

Check your AM radio, too. It may be less happy with the spectra of RF coming out of the DAC.

Senegalas

Is it possible to convert bal outputs to rca? I am kinda curious how different se and bal sound

Top Bottom