• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Our Beliefs and Attacking Ignorance

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Also, I realize that a philosophical statement might be distasteful to some, so I invite the mods to delete this if they see fit.

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now. In the past few months as it has grown, I see a lot of new members both accusing and being accused of everything from being a troll to a shill to an idiot (frequently using those terms). Certainly there are some language barriers and cultural differences that we've always made room for, but I think there is also something else going on.

Humans have a tendency to identify with their beliefs. That is, their beliefs shape how they see themselves as people. Seems obvious, right? When someone's beliefs (and therefore identity) is threatened, they fight back, lash out, become defensive, etc. If a person's identity is (in part) that, "cables make no difference in the sound of an audio system," and someone comes along and says, "I just read this article where someone proves cables make a difference," that sets off an emotional response.

I'll admit to rolling my eyes when I see posts by new members asking for recommendations and then detailing their entire system including power conditioners, expensive cables and interconnects, power cords, etc. so we can make an informed recommendation with appropriate "synergy" (that's what's expected on most audio forums, after all). My eye rolling compulsion is an automatic response that isn't really under my control. I just have to be aware of it and act accordingly. It's tempting sometimes to make a smart-ass remark that is sure to get a dozen "likes" from like-minded members, but I've managed to control myself for the most part.

When we inform people that they are wrong (and we should), sometimes it will cause them to dig in their heels and defend themselves because even well-intentioned rebuttals can come across as attacks. This is inevitable, of course, and knowing why this happens should help us understand how to diffuse a situation that becomes tense. Unfortunately, sometimes those who should simply say nothing go a step further with snarky, rude, or insulting replies. Some visitors or new members who might have been genuinely curious at first are just going to go back to their old audiophile forums and talk about what a bunch of jerks they found.

Many people haven't had any exposure to the ASR way of thinking about audio. Most of the information available on audio equipment is extraordinarily subjective, and there is SO much of it that it becomes hard to believe that ALL these sources of information must be mistaken. Many visitors here are venturing into a whole new world (I can relate to that experience to some extent). We may not change someone's way of thinking with a single forum post, no matter how well reasoned or how much data we provide--it may take some time. If we chase them away with rude or snide comments, they won't hang around long enough to get anything out of this forum. There is a lot to be learned here and a lot of really smart, thoughtful, and knowledgeable people to learn from, so the more people that stick around the better.

whazzup

However, it is also sometimes hard to distinguish between genuine users versus those who pretend to be, mostly in the furtherance of their own sites, products etc. At least initially.

You can generally identify them as the ones who avoid giving straight answers to legitimate questions posted by others.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
However, it is also sometimes hard to distinguish between genuine users versus those who pretend to be, mostly in the furtherance of their own sites, products etc. At least initially.

You can generally identify them as the ones who avoid giving straight answers to legitimate questions posted by others.
Agreed, there will always be the occasional person with a personal agenda of some kind. As you say they can generally be identified and the mods will sort that out soon enough.

deebeez

As a new member (Long time lurker), I feel, if they're not a troll etc. they would spend some time reading on here to get the lay of the land and most of their questions could be answered by just reading the threads and posts here.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
If we chase them away with rude or snide comments, they won't hang around long enough to get anything out of this forum. There is a lot to be learned here and a lot of really smart, thoughtful, and knowledgeable people to learn from, so the more people that stick around the better.

Well said. And good post overall.

I'm amazed at times at the patience of many ASR members who do try to inform folks, new to ASR or otherwise. Other than on the rare occasions where someone is obviously trolling -- again, I think that's very rare -- I've seen some senior members take a few worthwhile approaches to those that come in with strong dogmatic beliefs about the subjective validity of their opinion, which -- as you say -- is often tied to identity. Those approaches by members include:
  • speaking about the effects of cognitive bias.
  • acknowledging that preferences are good and normal. One does not have to have great measurements in a device to like it.
  • trying to explain how certain devices or EE concepts actually work.
  • trying to explain (e.g., solderdude with cables) that measurements can vary, certain equipment may have better measurements ... but those differences are likely not audible.
  • asking folks to prove to themselves that they can hear the differences that they claim. (And doing so in a way that doesn't call b.s., just saying "You don't need me to convince you; convince yourself.")
But I acknowledge that one's patience can wear thin dealing with new folks who -- at least via their tone -- come in on the attack and do not appear willing to learn. As such -- and like you -- I've also seen a fair number of more hostile responses on ASR.

Last edited:

Pluto

Forum Donor
There are practical limits to just how many times one can cover the same ground over and over and over again. People who arrive here in the spirit of this forum know why they have come here and, we assume, know what to expect. Sadly, rather more than we like to hope come here with a ‘mission’ to convert the wrong-thinking lunatics of ASR back into true believers.

Never forget that the perception of this forum within the audiopile world in general is, at best, that we suck the life out of their hobby* and, at worst, are a bunch of nutters with an irresponsible agenda to degrade their beloved hobby* to the level of mere numbers.

*I use the word ‘hobby’ in the pejorative here as the principal distinction between audio professionals and hobbyists is that the former know where the line between the subjective and objective is correctly drawn.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is surprising and jarring how extraordinary wrong almost all information gathered trough traditional hifi press and fora is .
And you are right that it is hard to explain why it is so, its a historical process starting in the 70's and 80's it's a slow derailing of a kind in press and the minds of the audiophiles.

For example it's a known fact that DAC's have been transparent to human hearing for decades , but still on this fora there is a daily debate on DAC sound signatures , it's a bit sad :/ just the thing i expected to be rid of when i joined .
I try to find and old good tread about this but my search abilities are not good enough it was titled similar to "what to do with people that thinks DAC's has a sound signature" or similar and the discussion was similar to what you want to debate here ? I thought that one could be a sticky.

Can someone write good articles that can be sticky's on "how sh*t works" that can be refered to :) nice calm explanations that does not makes fun of people

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dont forget it's a tech based hobby where many participants (including me ) does not really know how things works , but everyone has opinions and learned "lore" accumulated trough the years ? I was on the so called other side for at least 15 years :) so don't give up.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Maybe we need make a list of some fundamental concepts as an introduction. One of the things on that list could be that sighted tests are inherently flawed with a small explanation. Keep it brief but with enough information to function as a primer. I feel a lot of subjectivists seem to misunderstand what our position/consensus is.

LightninBoy

Great post @Alexanderc. I was thinking exactly the same thing and was considering making a similar post. But yours was better.

Folks, this is important. ASR is about to explode in hits and newbies. A little diplomacy and assumption of positive intent will go a long way towards helping people shed the burden of their subjective mindset. Isn't that the goal?

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I try to find and old good tread about this but my search abilities are not good enough it was titled similar to "what to do with people that thinks DAC's has a sound signature" or similar and the discussion was similar to what you want to debate here ? I thought that one could be a sticky.
I know exactly the one you’re talking about.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Also, I realize that a philosophical statement might be distasteful to some, so I invite the mods to delete this if they see fit.

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now. In the past few months as it has grown, I see a lot of new members both accusing and being accused of everything from being a troll to a shill to an idiot (frequently using those terms). Certainly there are some language barriers and cultural differences that we've always made room for, but I think there is also something else going on.

Humans have a tendency to identify with their beliefs. That is, their beliefs shape how they see themselves as people. Seems obvious, right? When someone's beliefs (and therefore identity) is threatened, they fight back, lash out, become defensive, etc. If a person's identity is (in part) that, "cables make no difference in the sound of an audio system," and someone comes along and says, "I just read this article where someone proves cables make a difference," that sets off an emotional response.

I'll admit to rolling my eyes when I see posts by new members asking for recommendations and then detailing their entire system including power conditioners, expensive cables and interconnects, power cords, etc. so we can make an informed recommendation with appropriate "synergy" (that's what's expected on most audio forums, after all). My eye rolling compulsion is an automatic response that isn't really under my control. I just have to be aware of it and act accordingly. It's tempting sometimes to make a smart-ass remark that is sure to get a dozen "likes" from like-minded members, but I've managed to control myself for the most part.

When we inform people that they are wrong (and we should), sometimes it will cause them to dig in their heels and defend themselves because even well-intentioned rebuttals can come across as attacks. This is inevitable, of course, and knowing why this happens should help us understand how to diffuse a situation that becomes tense. Unfortunately, sometimes those who should simply say nothing go a step further with snarky, rude, or insulting replies. Some visitors or new members who might have been genuinely curious at first are just going to go back to their old audiophile forums and talk about what a bunch of jerks they found.

Many people haven't had any exposure to the ASR way of thinking about audio. Most of the information available on audio equipment is extraordinarily subjective, and there is SO much of it that it becomes hard to believe that ALL these sources of information must be mistaken. Many visitors here are venturing into a whole new world (I can relate to that experience to some extent). We may not change someone's way of thinking with a single forum post, no matter how well reasoned or how much data we provide--it may take some time. If we chase them away with rude or snide comments, they won't hang around long enough to get anything out of this forum. There is a lot to be learned here and a lot of really smart, thoughtful, and knowledgeable people to learn from, so the more people that stick around the better.

Excellent post. There must be something in the water because I considered making a similar one too.

Nothing to add really, thanks for taking the time to do it.

mansr

Major Contributor

Slayer

When we inform people that they are wrong (and we should), sometimes it will cause them to dig in their heels and defend themselves because even well-intentioned rebuttals can come across as attacks. This is inevitable, of course, and knowing why this happens should help us understand how to diffuse a situation that becomes tense. Unfortunately, sometimes those who should simply say nothing go a step further with snarky, rude, or insulting replies. Some visitors or new members who might have been genuinely curious at first are just going to go back to their old audiophile forums and talk about what a bunch of jerks they found..

Agreed. However, in defense of ASR, I don't think this site is nearly as bad as some of the other popular sites. Which in turn, is why people leave those other sites after being long time members and decide to come here.
Being a science based forum, we seem to easily forget, science is ever evolving. What is considered standard testing now, may not be the standard in the near future. There may very well be new test practices that we look at and say "how or why did we not know that back then". In other words, we may currently believe, there should be no difference in the sound of a device based on specs and verified measurements, quite possibly may not hold to be true down the road.

So when someone say's they can hear a difference in a device, i may not believe it to be true. But rather than attack them on their subjective results (beliefs), i will just take what they have said with a grain of salt, so to speak. Having and hearing different opinions is what keeps us asking questions and not just accepting what we are told to believe. After all, almost anything is possible. I will continue to strive to keep an open mind if i feel someone is being genuine and not trying to peddle some nonsense to sell a product.

Pluto

Forum Donor
we seem to easily forget, science is ever evolving
This is the stock argument against "too much science" in audio. However, it is widely forgotten that most of the science related to audio and audio electronics has been around for an awfully long time and much of it proved beyond significant doubt. Watching some self-styled audio guru effectively claiming that Nyquist got it wrong can be a hugely frustrating experience.

The problem is that you have to learn that science before you can become credibly critical of it.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are practical limits to just how many times one can cover the same ground over and over and over again. People who arrive here in the spirit of this forum know why they have come here and, we assume, know what to expect. Sadly, rather more than we like to hope come here with a ‘mission’ to convert the wrong-thinking lunatics of ASR back into true believers.

Never forget that the perception of this forum within the audiopile world in general is, at best, that we suck the life out of their hobby* and, at worst, are a bunch of nutters with an irresponsible agenda to degrade their beloved hobby* to the level of mere numbers.

*I use the word ‘hobby’ in the pejorative here as the principal distinction between audio professionals and hobbyists is that the former know where the line between the subjective and objective is correctly drawn.

Those people are what I call the 'Wilfully Ignorant'. They don't know and they don't want to know, preferring belief to fact. I trust my ears, I know what I like, I look for musicality, I look for emotional engagement, etc etc. Nothing to do whatsoever with the nuts and bolts (and capacitors and resistors) of audio reproduction, and the limitation of human acuity. That hifi equipment has, for the past 30+years, been audibly transparent has completely escaped these people, indeed they deny it has, they can hear the inaudible. There are so many examples of 'faith' regardless of evidence, that I don't see us ever changing the way of the world. The best we can hope for is that we shine as a beacon of good sense in a sea of misinformation, much of it for commercial and social benefit.

S.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are practical limits to just how many times one can cover the same ground over and over and over again.
When I'm in the mood to do so, I'll respond to such posts, and when I'm not, I let someone else do the responding (or not). But forum searches, wiki pages and FAQs can only do so much: Many people want to have a conversation, not read a textbook.

Top Bottom