• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Eluktroniks Mech 15-G3 with Intel core i7 10875H + RTX2080MaxQ
OK, noted. Asked as there whose lot of fuss recently around regarding AMD and USB problems (whosent really that big problem). See if upgrading MB bios to last version helps.

This has a lot of issues with windows. On Windows Drivers, it has freezes every few seconds. On the provided driver, you cannot change volume on Windows, it's always 100%
This sounds more like a driver / software issue to me... what player do you use? Which asio driver did you install?

0RF30

I am talking about S9. This is the S9 thread. I am getting random freezes every few seconds on both drivers.

Was asking cause your post was just after a talk about E1DA.
As for issues with S9, we evoked on S8 thread that it could be PC harware/MB drivers/BIOS related ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/post-685671 ), did you try it on an other computer ?

This sounds more like a driver / software issue to me... what player do you use? Which asio driver did you install?

On my side I'm using the comtrue driver with Foobar, 0 problem. No problem system wide either (neither ?).

Last edited:

Jet Black

Was asking cause your post was just after a talk about E1DA.
As for issues with S9, we evoked on S8 thread that it could be PC harware/MB drivers/BIOS related ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/post-685671 ), did you try it on an other computer ?

On my side I'm using the comtrue driver with Foobar, 0 problem. No problem system wide either (neither ?).
I hope someday... you include ibasso dc03 on your list of dongle dacs on your chart.

slazyel

You can't compare a stack with a dongle. That's does neither of both justice. If you want to drive bigger cans get the stack.
Hi. Understand. I mainly plan to use it with my desktop instead of cellphone. I will be using it with the Ananda.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, noted. Asked as there whose lot of fuss recently around regarding AMD and USB problems (whosent really that big problem). See if upgrading MB bios to last version helps.

Yep. There was someone with an S8 that had random pops and clicks that was cleared up by a motherboard BIOS update.

thyristor

How do you adjust volume with this (or other dongles that don't have volume control) if you play bit perfect DSD with ASIO as the player volume control doesn't work with DSD?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How do you adjust volume with this (or other dongles that don't have volume control) if you play bit perfect DSD with ASIO as the player volume control doesn't work with DSD?
You can't if it doesn't have hardware volume controls.

ishouldbeking

I need something inexpensive for when I want to listen from my laptop via Audirvana and don't want to use the cheap-o sound card. I've been eyeing this, the Qudelix and the Sparrow. I've heard a lot of negatives about the EMI w/ the Sparrow and nothing but positives for the Qudelix. Which would be the better choice? I'll probably never use it with my phone, just my laptop.
I haven't tried the others so take this with a grain of salt, but I find the Qudelix to be quite satisfying and it's become a crucial part of my desktop setup. I use it as a dedicated USB DAC feeding my headphone amplifier, and it's painless to setup and quickly switch between parametric EQ profiles for different headphones (or speakers). Also nice to know I have a dedicated bluetooth receiver should I ever need one. (I occasionally bust it out to watch TV in bed using full-sized wired closedbacks without bothering my partner; beats buying overpriced BT cans when I wouldn't otherwise need them). All this to say, the Qudelix is excellent and worth owning.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't tried the others so take this with a grain of salt, but I find the Qudelix to be quite satisfying and it's become a crucial part of my desktop setup. I use it as a dedicated USB DAC feeding my headphone amplifier, and it's painless to setup and quickly switch between parametric EQ profiles for different headphones (or speakers). Also nice to know I have a dedicated bluetooth receiver should I ever need one. (I occasionally bust it out to watch TV in bed using full-sized wired closedbacks without bothering my partner; beats buying overpriced BT cans when I wouldn't otherwise need them). All this to say, the Qudelix is excellent and worth owning.
It's definitely on my short list. Thanks.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I understand what you want correctly, you're after a DAC, so you ask about dongles because you need something small, right ?

Then I strongly suggest you take a look at E1DA 9038D, it has a DAC mode, and as DAC with external amp with speakers, it's a completely different story than as an headphone dongle. With most headphones it's often way too detailed to avoid loosing sense of depth/separation - completely different story with speakers, the weakness becomes a strenght. Depending on your taste though, it'll be on the analytical side. S9 is pretty nice for this usage too, a bit more "warm", less detailed, better bass texture.

You also have very decent small full digital amplifiers for reasonably efficient speakers around 100 (IAMD V200, Fx Audio D802). So one small device instead of your amp + DAC. V200 is very good.
Thanks. Where would I purchase the E1DA 9038D? That does sound interesting. Isn't the designer here on this forum sometimes?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
9038S (3rd version 9038GS3) is 2.5 TRRS balanced, 9038D is unbalanced 3.5 connector. Same sound quality, same DAC mode that you can toggle within the app.

But doesn't your amp have balanced inputs anyway ?
No. Not this amp. Only RCA inputs.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered one - thanks for all the suggestions. This forum is a wonderful thing-so many with so much knowledge and experience.

0RF30

Just ordered one - thanks for all the suggestions. This forum is a wonderful thing-so many with so much knowledge and experience.

I don't know which firmware is currently provided stock on 9038D, you may have to install a C version no standby firmware or the "tweak9038" app firmware if you're planing to use it, if think it's the only way to get the DAC mode, and remember to untick standby and mute in the app for desktop use. E1DA has a pretty active discord channel, you'll find and can ask there any information you need.

Last edited:
Top Bottom