• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

0RF30

Sorry to hear that. Could be a faulty unit, but maybe it'll be worth taking a look at your MB drivers and maybe bios update before sending it back.
On my side I'm using it for three weeks with zero issues.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry to hear that. Could be a faulty unit, but maybe it'll be worth taking a look at your MB drivers and maybe bios update before sending it back.
On my side I'm using it for three weeks with zero issues.
I have used inumerous dacs without any issue, therefore the fault is in the S9. I wont risk a bios update because of a dongle. And since im far from being the first to report problems, I will gladly accept my money back, i got in a promo, so it wont be a huge loss to the seller.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have used inumerous dacs without any issue, therefore the fault is in the S9. I wont risk a bios update because of a dongle. And since im far from being the first to report problems, I will gladly accept my money back, i got in a promo, so it wont be a huge loss to the seller.
If you are using ASIO, try increasing the buffer size.

DarrylG

Of course a dedicated amp will be better, but I quote Amir:

"Switching to my inefficient and low impedance 25 ohm Drop Ether CX headphones, I was surprised at the amount of power and fidelity.

Best performance was had with Hifiman HE-400i. There was now plenty of volume with very clean, detailed and high fidelity sound."
Will the shortcomings of the TempoTec amp section have any effect if it's used as a dac connected to a separate headphone amp?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Will the shortcomings of the TempoTec amp section have any effect if it's used as a dac connected to a separate headphone amp?
No

AZA

Hello, Would it be recommended to use the Hidizs s8 (or s9, I do not seem to find any reviews or measures of this one so I'll stick with the s8) as a dac for desktop use using a 3.5 to rca adapter to connect it with my JDS Labs element, used as amp? Thank you!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Recent BIOS upgrade is recommended right now, more so for AMD 500 series chipsets becos of the usb 2.0 controler issues and for the AGESA if you have something that has a use of it (new GPU's or Ryzen 5000 series CPU). While it's easy to do it it resetts all to default (including fan and GPU profiles) so not really plesent. Should state something like this "update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0, improve USB 2.0 compatibility", still not a final version nor available for many board's.

Human Bass

Recent BIOS upgrade is recommended right now, more so for AMD 500 series chipsets becos of the usb 2.0 controler issues and for the AGESA if you have something that has a use of it (new GPU's or Ryzen 5000 series CPU). While it's easy to do it it resetts all to default (including fan and GPU profiles) so not really plesent. Should state something like this "update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0, improve USB 2.0 compatibility", still not a final version nor available for many board's.
My notebook is a humble and well sorted out Intel 8th gen, so not really an issue. I talked to Hidizs, they claim they will send a new one that works. They seem to be aware of the problem.

Zarniwoop

My notebook is a humble and well sorted out Intel 8th gen, so not really an issue. I talked to Hidizs, they claim they will send a new one that works. They seem to be aware of the problem.

Changing laptop power plan did nothing to help?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, Would it be recommended to use the Hidizs s8 (or s9, I do not seem to find any reviews or measures of this one so I'll stick with the s8) as a dac for desktop use using a 3.5 to rca adapter to connect it with my JDS Labs element, used as amp? Thank you!

I have used the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (same unit with different branding and different enclosure) as a DAC with both the JDS Labs Atom and Drop THX 789 and it works great. Sold my Topping D50S because didn't really need it anymore. Sounds the same.

MrOtto

I have some problems on a Oneplus 7 phone with Hidizs S8. It work perfectly on computer in Windows 10, but I have some problems using it with my Oneplus 7 phone with Android 10. Sometimes I don't get any sound even though phone show that headphone is connected. If I disconnect it, phone doesn't go back to "phone speaker". I have to reboot phone to get sound from the Hidizs S8. Sometimes sound also get corrupted.

I have tried a Topping desktop DAC on the Oneplus phone with OTG-adapter and it works flawlessly.
I have connected Hidizs S8 to a Samsung Galaxy S20, and it works perfectly.
The Samsung USB-C headphone dongle works perfectly on the Oneplus 7.
Anyone?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some problems on a Oneplus 7 phone with Hidizs S8. It work perfectly on computer in Windows 10, but I have some problems using it with my Oneplus 7 phone with Android 10. Sometimes I don't get any sound even though phone show that headphone is connected. If I disconnect it, phone doesn't go back to "phone speaker". I have to reboot phone to get sound from the Hidizs S8. Sometimes sound also get corrupted.

I have tried a Topping desktop DAC on the Oneplus phone with OTG-adapter and it works flawlessly.
I have connected Hidizs S8 to a Samsung Galaxy S20, and it works perfectly.
The Samsung USB-C headphone dongle works perfectly on the Oneplus 7.
Anyone?

If you have another OTG adapter, try it in case something wonky is going on with the one that comes with the S8 and the OnePlus 7. And I have sometimes had strange things happen with some cables but not others and phone USB ports just because the port had some pocket lint in it. lol

MrOtto

Hidizs told me to use Hiby app on the phone and allow exclusive access in setting from the app. Now it works when playing from Hiby. But Tidal will play from the phone speak, not headphones when Hidizs S8 is connected. Nice player btw, Hiby, for local media.

I have two different USB-C OTG adapters, in addition to the Hidizs-cables.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hidizs told me to use Hiby app on the phone and allow exclusive access in setting from the app. Now it works when playing from Hiby. But Tidal will play from the phone speak, not headphones when Hidizs S8 is connected. Nice player btw, Hiby, for local media.

I have two different USB-C OTG adapters, in addition to the Hidizs-cables.
Enabling exclusive access in HiBy only means telling it to use costum USB audio drajver instead OS one. For Tidal with costume driver check the UAPP.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro
You can download the very limited trial version from official developer site.
Regarding One+ it's apparently on the firmware (ROM) side, interesting to see how once very advanced and good tuned regarding firmware now become so bad and plagued with bug's (even worse than Samsung).

MrOtto

Yes, I see there are several threads on the Oneplus forum for all Oneplus models with problems regarding USB headphone dongles. Even with their own branded dongle. Oneplus support told me to buy a Oneplus Bluetooth headphone to listen to music. I answered this was unacceptable. Selling a phone without a headphone jack, but with a standardized USB port and a Bluetooth service, then having only a Oneplus product work.

Software on phone has been good up to this point. Coming from Nokia 7 Plus where the original software was good, but the updates weere terrible and unusable. Samsung is out of the question because of all the bloat and dual apps and services for everything.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@MrOtto I retired from costume ROM scene, got tired from pocking around and settled down with Sony (for now) for a software and privacy benefit. It whosent all roses either but it whose neglect able at worst.

Top Bottom