• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

eardiggler

Love seeing these budget gems like the Aiyima amplifier and now this little portable DAC reviewed. Thanks Amir for these reviews!

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Reactions: buz

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
AKA an opaque 10-band PEQ with curiously-labeled sliders for which you can't adjust the filter type, centre frequency or Q-factor. I'd much prefer a standard, fully adjustable PEQ like the Qudelix 5K's that's compatible with well-made EQ profiles such as Oratory's, rather than trying to decipher what the hell 'detoxed' and 'intoxicating' female overtones means :D
It means is lady a smoker or on rehab. ;):)
While terminology is subjective as it gets it's not that hard to figure out. So for instance that's bost or cut (no one ever cut them) in uper mids lower highs. With a little practice it actually works good combined with regular 10 band EQ. PEQ would be better of course but they did it as that as they needed to retain software compatibility across the board of different DAP's of which some with tiny displays (ruling out use of PEQ).

Last edited:
According to the Hidizs' specs, the S9 supports headphones with inline microphones (hopefully adhering to a commonly used TRRS wiring scheme and presumably with the unbalanced jack only).

Given this, does this mean the device (and its DAC chip) does ADC as well? If so, any thoughts on the quality of its ADC compared to a typical Audio Interface device? Would this work as a decent poor (or cheap) man's Audio Interface for recording live music?
I think they just don't want to scare away users with headphones that happen to have inline mics, like Apple earpods or gaming headsets etc., but it does not have an ADC and simply ignores a microphone, (the third ring on a mini headphone/mic plug that carries microphone signal is just ignored), so its an audio output device

ishouldbeking

Looks to me like the cheapest DAC with usable (4V @ 0 dBFS) balanced output with very good SQ. Just needs an (admittedly clumsy) adapter cable 2.5 mm to 2 x XLR.

Qudelix is $3 cheaper and still does 4v balanced output :)

It doesn't get as loud or measure quite this clean, but its noise and distortion levels are absolutely inaudible and the PEQ makes a much bigger impact on the listening experience for portable use.

chauct

I'm currently using the Apple dongle/L30 combo. Would this offer comparable performance? This would save me some desk space however.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is always whether or not you can just plug this into your phone and have it work without an external battery, and for how long? And yes, I know, YMMV.

lordhumungous

Excellent portable dac. Has anyone else noticed that vocals are really forward ? Sorta in your face sometimes.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need something inexpensive for when I want to listen from my laptop via Audirvana and don't want to use the cheap-o sound card. I've been eyeing this, the Qudelix and the Sparrow. I've heard a lot of negatives about the EMI w/ the Sparrow and nothing but positives for the Qudelix. Which would be the better choice? I'll probably never use it with my phone, just my laptop.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Even then can't you just use USB C or lightning?
I can, but I rarely use my phone, and my phone sounds good with sensitive headphones, so I have very limited use for it. If I decide I want to travel with 300ohm headphones or something, I might get one.

I find no fault in this product. I just didn't think I would actually use it.

Last edited:

0RF30

I need something inexpensive for when I want to listen from my laptop via Audirvana and don't want to use the cheap-o sound card. I've been eyeing this, the Qudelix and the Sparrow. I've heard a lot of negatives about the EMI w/ the Sparrow and nothing but positives for the Qudelix. Which would be the better choice? I'll probably never use it with my phone, just my laptop.

For desktop purposes only, E1DA powerdac V2 (full digital) is pretty good, but runs balanced only. An unbalanced compatible version usable with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter should be coming (v2.1). Got the V2 around 50. You'll get a hard time to find a pair of cans which cannot be driven by the powerdac.

If you don't need a lot of power, S8 is still around 50 I think, and is very good. Some people seems happy with iBasso DC03 or DC04 (can't speak from personal experience for these). Other quality options are more expensive (including S9, E1DA 9038's...).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For desktop purposes only, E1DA powerdac V2 (full digital) is pretty good, but runs balanced only. An unbalanced compatible version usable with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter should be coming (v2.1). Got the V2 around 50. You'll get a hard time to find a pair of cans which cannot be driven by the powerdac.

If you don't need a lot of power, S8 is still around 50 I think, and is very good. Some people seems happy with iBasso DC03 or DC04 (can't speak from personal experience for these). Other quality options are more expensive (including S9, E1DA 9038's...).
Thanks. I'll be listening mainly through an outboard amp + speakers so don't really need the HP amp but hard to find one of these without it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks. I'll be listening mainly through an outboard amp + speakers so don't really need the HP amp but hard to find one of these without it.
Discontinued Meizu Pro appeared back on Ali for 22$. And it has ADC also. As you don't intend to use it with phone you will have less to worry about EMI. Sad to hear that about Sparrow. When I talked with owner of the firm (Auris Audio) some time ago while it whose in design stages and told him it needs better isolation he whose an arrogant prick "we will make it much better those other guys they are ammeters" which made me mad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom