• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

JimBobSound

I’ve got one of these coming today which I will use with my HD660S and Sony IER-Z1R.
The Z1R has an impedance of 50 ohm and sensitivity of 103 db/mW. Would it be optimum to use the balanced or unbalanced output with the Z1R for best performance?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I’ve got one of these coming today which I will use with my HD660S and Sony IER-Z1R.
The Z1R has an impedance of 50 ohm and sensitivity of 103 db/mW. Would it be optimum to use the balanced or unbalanced output with the Z1R for best performance?
Unbalanced as it less hurts the SINAD as less you have to dial the volume down from the max, but again this is more related to output power than balanced/unbalanced. You do get better separation with balanced.

JimBobSound

Unbalanced as it less hurts the SINAD as less you have to dial the volume down from the max, but again this is more related to output power than balanced/unbalanced. You do get better separation with balanced.
I thought that would be the case from my interpretation of the measurements. I currently use the Apple dongle, I don’t expect any major audible improvements with the Z1R but I’m hoping the extra power will Benefit the HD660S so I can get rid of the desktop rig.

Balanced.

lordhumungous

Disappointed there was no usb-c to Lightning cable included. I don't want to use the Camera Connection Kit . The S8 had a lightning cable.

I see the company sells a 22 dollar or so usb-c to lightning cable. The Apple USB-C to Lightning cable will not work as i guess it doesn't have the camera connection chip.

0RF30

Thanks. I'll be listening mainly through an outboard amp + speakers so don't really need the HP amp but hard to find one of these without it.

If I understand what you want correctly, you're after a DAC, so you ask about dongles because you need something small, right ?

Then I strongly suggest you take a look at E1DA 9038D, it has a DAC mode, and as DAC with external amp with speakers, it's a completely different story than as an headphone dongle. With most headphones it's often way too detailed to avoid loosing sense of depth/separation - completely different story with speakers, the weakness becomes a strenght. Depending on your taste though, it'll be on the analytical side. S9 is pretty nice for this usage too, a bit more "warm", less detailed, better bass texture.

You also have very decent small full digital amplifiers for reasonably efficient speakers around 100 (IAMD V200, Fx Audio D802). So one small device instead of your amp + DAC. V200 is very good.

slazyel

So, i could purchase one for $60 with some promotions that i have in my acc or $200 for a topping l30+e30 stack. Which one would be a better deal?

Also, is it enough for a Hifiman Ananda?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Discontinued Meizu Pro appeared back on Ali for 22$. And it has ADC also. As you don't intend to use it with phone you will have less to worry about EMI. Sad to hear that about Sparrow. When I talked with owner of the firm (Auris Audio) some time ago while it whose in design stages and told him it needs better isolation he whose an arrogant prick "we will make it much better those other guys they are ammeters" which made me mad.
Wow- that's quite an arrogance.

So, i could purchase one for $60 with some promotions that i have in my acc or $200 for a topping l30+e30 stack. Which one would be a better deal?

Also, is it enough for a Hifiman Ananda?

You can't compare a stack with a dongle. That's does neither of both justice. If you want to drive bigger cans get the stack.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I understand what you want correctly, you're after a DAC, so you ask about dongles because you need something small, right ?

Then I strongly suggest you take a look at E1DA 9038D, it has a DAC mode, and as DAC with external amp with speakers, it's a completely different story than as an headphone dongle. With most headphones it's often way too detailed to avoid loosing sense of depth/separation - completely different story with speakers, the weakness becomes a strenght. Depending on your taste though, it'll be on the analytical side. S9 is pretty nice for this usage too, a bit more "warm", less detailed, better bass texture.

You also have very decent small full digital amplifiers for reasonably efficient speakers around 100 (IAMD V200, Fx Audio D802). So one small device instead of your amp + DAC. V200 is very good.
Isn't the E1DA balanced only?

0RF30

Isn't the E1DA balanced only?

9038S (3rd version 9038GS3) is 2.5 TRRS balanced, 9038D is unbalanced 3.5 connector. Same sound quality, same DAC mode that you can toggle within the app.

But doesn't your amp have balanced inputs anyway ?

Last edited:

seamon

This has a lot of issues with windows. On Windows Drivers, it has freezes every few seconds. On the provided driver, you cannot change volume on Windows, it's always 100%

0RF30

This has a lot of issues with windows. On Windows Drivers, it has freezes every few seconds. On the provided driver, you cannot change volume on Windows, it's always 100%

Are you talking about S9 or E1DA 9038 ? I have no problem with either of them.

My guess is you're talking about E1DA. You have to update the firmware with a no standby "C" version, or with the app firmware if you're using the app, and untick "mute" and "standby" within the app. As for volume, no problem, with both drivers.

Last edited:

seamon

Are you talking about S9 or E1DA 9038 ? I have no problem with either of them.

My guess is you're talking about E1DA. You have to update the firmware with a no standby "C" version, or with the app firmware if you're using the app, and untick "mute" and "standby" within the app. As for volume, no problem, with both drivers. Of course, if you're using something like WASAPI push output in Foobar, you can only change volume in Foobar.
I am talking about S9. This is the S9 thread. I am getting random freezes every few seconds on both drivers.

Top Bottom