• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thought they did this every couple of years. To keep customers hanging on in the hope, this time it’s true. I’ll believe it when I hear it.

mash

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about this. A while back, I left Spotify/Sonos for the combination of Tidal/Roon. Of those two, I really like Roon and will keep using it but Tidal is a different story. Tidal's music exploration features aren't as good as Spotify's, and Tidal's Carplay app is unusable, and the less said about MQA the better. To make up for these issues, I kept my Spotify subscription and still use it for music exploration and Carplay but keeping both is a pain. Its annoying syncing playlists between the two and paying 2 subscription fees for the same content sucks.

In a perfect world, Spotify would adopt CD Quality up to 24/96 hi-res without MQA and work out its issues with Roon. Reality, is probably that Spotify will support 320K with some tracks at lossless CD resolution and never partner with Roon.....Spotify is just not going to give up control of the playback.

I'll look at the new Spotify service when it comes out but I will probably stick with Tidal and hope that it fixes some of its more glaring issues like getting Carplay to work and improving the search functions.........but I'm not holding my breath.

gvl

Major Contributor
I find Spotify recommendation engine to be second to none. I also subscribe to Qobuz and while I like it's vibe I will cancel it if Spotify provides good lossless coverage for its library. No Roon here, which I guess makes selection easier.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This time the company informed this.
Then this has made my audio year. I still stand by my claim there is no way faster than to walk in the house and start casting music than spotify connect. I use it almost exclusively for its convenience unless im doing a full kick back session with CDs. 'Bout time.

Taddpole

Pity if true as don't like spotify but can see it finishing it off some of the others. Likely lead to Apple music following suit too and that could cause collapse of options.

Reed

I use Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect via my NAD C658. Both connect services are great if your equipment is capable. I can use the hardware buttons on my iPad to control the volume of the C658 when using the apps in connect mode. Also have Roon (for another 10 months) and Apple Music. Once this HiFi level launches I may ditch Tidal. I hope this leads Apple to offer true lossless as well. I keep playlists synced via the web app soundiiz.com. A little kludgey but it works. I use Apple Music as my "single point of knowledge" and then transfer playlists. Great time to be alive unless you’re an artist trying to live on what these services pay. All of the services should offer tip jars for artists on their artist page in the app.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll believe it when I see it....let alone it making a difference.

elliott

I'll believe it when I see it....let alone it making a difference.
Yeah, I did a couple non-scientific AB tests between Tidal, CD FLAC rips, and Apple Music, and sadly, AM won more times than I'd like to admit. I'm guessing it's because they get the 24 bit masters and compress directly to 256. Even if Spotify is doing uncompressed, it's probably just 16 bit CD quality.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Maybe, just maybe (but I doubt it) this might mean eventual Roon integration for Spotify.

Though I fear that has always been a Spotify not Roon barrier.
I'm not convinced (at all) that we'll get full Roon integration. It would, however, be good if we got Spotify Connect. This would allow Roon DSP and multiroom to function with Spotify.

I suspect that Roon could achieve this with the full support of Spotify. Spotify's chief aim is to ensure that their app is used at all times.

SKBubba

Roon will never integrate with Spotify.

Spotify, with millions upon millions of subscribers, will never do the work Roon requires to get a fraction of the thousands of subscribers Roon might, maybe bring to the table.

This could be the end for Roon and Qobuz. And Deezer. Tidal could survive, maybe.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
FWIW, Spotify can be used via LMS without the Spotify app. It's integrated through the Spotty plugin. Hopefully the new tier will "just work" there, as well.

Music1969

Major Contributor
This time the company informed this.

And Amazon Music HD didn't exist in 2017...

Spotify don't care about Tidal and Qobuz customers.

This is the Amazon effect.

I expect Amazon Music HD now to expand beyond their 4 markets.

2022 will be interesting!

Apple Music and YouTube Music will probably join the lossless fun now.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Ok, then.

(Can you explain how that would work? Or why?)
Spotify Connect works by using the Spotify app to connect to a streaming device, in this case Roon. Roon's DSP and multiroom facilities could then be used.

This is different from Roon integration. Roon integration allows for a full library integration. I suspect that this will be impossible with Spotify.

Spotify Connect is used extensively already as a way for Spotify to ensure that its app is used at all times, thus allowing its algorithms to control proceedings.

chris719

Yeah, I did a couple non-scientific AB tests between Tidal, CD FLAC rips, and Apple Music, and sadly, AM won more times than I'd like to admit. I'm guessing it's because they get the 24 bit masters and compress directly to 256. Even if Spotify is doing uncompressed, it's probably just 16 bit CD quality.

I purchased files from HDtracks a couple years ago and based on spectral analysis, they were simply resampled 16-bit 44.1 kHz material :(.

SKBubba

Spotify Connect works by using the Spotify app to connect to a streaming device, in this case Roon. Roon's DSP and multiroom facilities could then be used.

This is different from Roon integration. Roon integration allows for a full library integration. I suspect that this will be impossible with Spotify.

Spotify Connect is used extensively already as a way for Spotify to ensure that its app is used at all times, thus allowing its algorithms to control proceedings.

OK, then.

gvl

Major Contributor
Roon integrating with Spotify is very different from Roon implementing Spotify Connect.

I thoght Roon ppl wete not interested in this, they want to provide full experience.

Top Bottom