• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

YSC

Major Contributor
I performed a survey of my high-res content I have purchased (by audiophile labels) and peak response was at 40 Hz. Regardless, these headphones roll off starting at 100 Hz or even higher at times.

I need to point out that the perception of bass balance highly depends on high frequency spectrum as well. Each compliments the other like a seesaw. Boost the lows and what my have been too much highs becomes appropriate. So all discussions of EQ need to be in the context of full equalization. I spend quite a bit of time developing this balance in my equalization suggestions. With the HD650 I find both low and high frequency reproduction is improved with equalization at the same time.
One question to the measurements though.
6774CA4D-EA8F-4535-AAD5-B4F1E939AA32.png
EF609B86-0F44-4919-8B21-78EF05681239.png

these are old measurements from Tull, ignore the compensated curves I found the raw curves of both he400i and hd800s from his old measurements didn’t roll off before 20hz and was the part differs from your measurement most, can that be some kind of ear simulation or seal issue or even amp dependent thing?

not really a criticism but kind of wonders as headphone measurements here in ASR just started for a short while and I kind of wonders about any potential differences.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Somehow in the FR curve with the latest harman curve overlaying seems like a good start in the overall impression, but if it’s possible that say overlay as well the 2013 harman curve and the diffuse field?
Unfortunately I don't have electronic version of either. If someone wants to produce them, I can do that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One question to the measurements though.
Those graphs have too high of a vertical scale (70 dB vs 50 dB that I use) and have very wide aspect ratio which flattens them even more. They make the headphones look a lot flatter than they are.

But yes, Tyll did use a different measurement rig and the fit may have been different than mine.

bt3

6xx are my most comfortable HPs, compared to Audio Meze and 400i. The clamp can be adjusted easily for me too.
HD6xx were comfortable right out of the box for me. Having a small, narrow noggin is good for something (it sure isn't good for finding eyeglass frames or hats that fit ( c: !!

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Those graphs have too high of a vertical scale (70 dB vs 50 dB that I use) and have very wide aspect ratio which flattens them even more. They make the headphones look a lot flatter than they are.

But yes, Tyll did use a different measurement rig and the fit may have been different than mine.
Yea I notice the scale difference, just wonders a bit that with the look say the hd800s 20hz should be around 3-4db lower than 100hz or so, so I wonders a bit and it could be interesting if playing around a bit with fit and positioning the bass would change significantly or not. I remember Tyll did mentioned in some of his review that some headphone is a nightmare to get proper seal with his rig.

Just saying as a eye glasses wearing guy I found the music sounds more right when I take my glasses off.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yea I notice the scale difference, just wonders a bit that with the look say the hd800s 20hz should be around 3-4db lower than 100hz or so, so I wonders a bit and it could be interesting if playing around a bit with fit and positioning the bass would change significantly or not.
I go through fair amount of that for my tests. I have come up with a good protocol though that has eased this a lot. Also, my rig is easier to use in this regard due to flat sides. It is much harder on the HATS (mannequin) that he used. The curvature makes it harder to get a good fit. And there are less degrees of freedom to get there. It is a joy to use mine versus previous B&K Hats I evaluated.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I performed a survey of my high-res content I have purchased (by audiophile labels) and peak response was at 40 Hz. Regardless, these headphones roll off starting at 100 Hz or even higher at times.

I need to point out that the perception of bass balance highly depends on high frequency spectrum as well. Each compliments the other like a seesaw. Boost the lows and what my have been too much highs becomes appropriate. So all discussions of EQ need to be in the context of full equalization. I spend quite a bit of time developing this balance in my equalization suggestions. With the HD650 I find both low and high frequency reproduction is improved with equalization at the same time.

Does the HD650 play the Terje Isungset - fading sun (example in thread) cleanly when equalised according to your suggestions?

Cortes

plastic HD650 are probably the most iconic audiophile HP ever. Good to see there are technical reasons for that.

As for me, the first time I listened to them was after listetening to HD800, so I've never felt any interest in the HD650. Later I listened to the Stax SR-007MKII, and then I lost all my interest into the HD800 (well, I admit that soundstage is unique).

ishouldbeking

I dont think Senn have ever confirmed but other than cosmetic differences, every review/ look I have seen suggests they are mechanically the same but made in a different territory. If you can get Drop shipped to you cheap without paying import fees etc , I would get the Drop 6XX

They're made in the same factory in Romania nowadays. I believe the 6xx was the first headphone out of the new factory and the 650 continued to be made in Ireland for a time, until all production shifted to Romania. Oddly enough, I have a 58x from Ireland and a 6xx from Romania. There have been a few teardowns confirming the 6xx and 650 are mechanically identical and measure the same, although they do have different cosmetics, a different cable / termination (at least I believe this is still the case), and possibly somewhat different packaging (the 650 used to come with more extensive packaging, but this may have changed in recent years).

Still possible they use better matched drivers in the 650, but that's just speculation. Others have suggested these may have started life as some kind of cosmetic seconds that were then painted over to give the matte navy finish. Who knows. Haven't seen any evidence one way or another, but I'm sure there are some cost-cutting measures along the way.

Newman

Major Contributor
Remind me please @amirm , which headphones have you tested that track the target pretty well in the bass frequencies?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Remind me please @amirm , which headphones have you tested that track the target pretty well in the bass frequencies?
None that I have published. But I have tested akg k371 and it does that.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
loving the headphones reviews so far. Broke a myth I had with the Focal Clear from one small listening session at a hifi shop, just put the his senns in my wish list...and now I'm hoping @amirm reviews "grado 125e" and "beyerndynamic 880 600ohm" to see how they compare to this one, specially the Grado, since the beyerndinamic is clearly different to this sennheiser.

I'm betting he may like the first and try to eq the bass-hell out of the second.

Awesome reviews!!!

Last edited:

Cortes

None that I have published. But I have tested akg k371 and it does that.

No surprised. AkG is used in many recording studios. They look like geared towards professionals.

OK, waste no your time, and measure K812&K872 ;)

F1308

Major Contributor
Thanks for this- It's interesting to document that there IS a difference in audio quality between the tracks, but answering the question regarding which is higher quality is difficult. Initially, I assumed that uncompressed would mean sharper treble, but ended up picking the two lowest-quality tracks in the first two tests. Then I switched to picking the track that sounded the smoothest and got the uncompressed file in 3/4 of the remainder tracks, while picking the worst track on the hiphop one. I look forward to repeating this test with my better cans in a day or two when I've forgotten what order the files are in.

No need to get grade A...
You simply thought a given file was the best TO YOU...and that is a very important thing.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
The 6xx was my gateway drug into this hobby. I forget who said it, but someone said "the 650 isn't great because it excels in any category, but because it does so little wrong." I agree with this statement, but also have to say that the mids are the lushest I've heard in a headphone. I grab the 6XX when I want a musical experience that I can just relax and zone out to.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As one other post mentioned, I really found my HD6XX very uncomfortable. Too much clamp, stiff headband and ear pads. I tried to gently stretch these out, but they are very plastic and was worried it would crack. I wonder if the 650 is more comfortable.

Although not measurement related, that’s one of my biggest deal breakers, if you can’t wear them for at least a few hours, no matter how good they sound, they are going back.

Below the only correct way to lower the clamping force. Never try to bend the plastic parts. Also fully reversible.
index.php

F1308

Major Contributor
Is this the very same design that was released in 2003, 17 years ago !!!!, or got any improvements ?

Tup3x

Personally I haven't found anything that I would like more than my HD 6XX. HD 600 is close but sounds a bit artificial and ear straining. HD 6XX just sounds like I expect things to sound and "the feel" is right - how it creates the sound stage, depth, position and all. It "sounds full" and can layers voices really nicely.

Is this the very same design that was released in 2003, 17 years ago !!!!, or got any improvements ?
Current retail versions have slightly upgraded design. Drop HD 6XX still uses the old design though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Basically yes, at some point in time they changed the material in the baffle and the pads became slightly different. The tonal balance changed slightly over time (less warm, slightly more neutral)

Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom