• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NW-WM1A Review (Digital Audio Player)

DosThou

Hiby stuff measures badly though
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iby-r6-pro-portable-music-player-review.9931/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wolfx700-measurement-of-hiby-r3.10922/

Though at least they don't charge $1000 for those.

As for the issues with mail interruptions and upsampling with phones, here's the thing: you're already buying a neutered android gadget with subpar spec and subpar measurements on top of having your phone. At $549 like that R6 'Pro', you have a swat of much snappier phones that you can use as a complementary gadget to your phone just like your DAP would be and with some dongles you're getting much better audio performances, put on airplane mode and it's pretty much a DAP. For upsampling issue, app like Usb Audio Player solves that beautifully. Only thing a DAP has over another phone+dongle is playback buttons, which is fair if that's your thing.

Honestly, if I'm really serious about listening on the go, I'd work some way to make tiny streamer like nanopi https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opi-neo2-worlds-smallest-audio-streamer.7598/ fit into a 3D printed case with a tiny power bank and a dongle. Then just control it with my phone using MPD or something, will be better performing than many of these DAPs or bluetooth dongles and I won't have to constantly take it out of my pocket like with DAPs. It's fortunately not my use case.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Some other things no one has mentioned are the lack of power from smart phones, Android upsampling, annoying audible alerts every time an email or text arrives, etc. Try powering Tin P1's with a smart phone. Have a Hiby R5-bit perfect playback, dual DAC's, very high power output SE or balanced, wi fi, BT... the list goes on. And only $300.
Lack of power? That is what this $1k Sony has. Given the huge compromises in listening on the move, surely there's no sense in using inefficient cans or IEMS when efficient ones are available?
Upsampling? Not applicable with an iPhone unless you install and use an app to do that. Is it audible anyway?
Audible alerts? Switch 'em off! (And switch off the absurd kepboard bleeps too while you're at it.) And what happens with alerts when you are carrying your phone and your DAP?
Looks like the Hiby is fit for purpose, and the price is reasonable.

YSC

Major Contributor
Lack of power? That is what this $1k Sony has. Given the huge compromises in listening on the move, surely there's no sense in using inefficient cans or IEMS when efficient ones are available?
Upsampling? Not applicable with an iPhone unless you install and use an app to do that. Is it audible anyway?
Audible alerts? Switch 'em off! (And switch off the absurd kepboard bleeps too while you're at it.) And what happens with alerts when you are carrying your phone and your DAP?
Just stop arguing with this .... I will leave the blank for him to fill in himself.

as much as I can enjoy my Sony purchase before any measurements available and we’ll know the lack of power from it. It’s maybe not the best one out there but usable is enough right? Just like we can buy a sports car and find out it’s slowest on track compared to other cars and still enjoy it right? His defence by full attack is kind of making me sleepy

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some other things no one has mentioned are the lack of power from smart phones, Android upsampling, annoying audible alerts every time an email or text arrives, etc. Try powering Tin P1's with a smart phone. Have a Hiby R5-bit perfect playback, dual DAC's, very high power output SE or balanced, wi fi, BT... the list goes on. And only $300.

Not a problem that android settings and a application can't cure at a much lower price point. There's even good android phones like my now dead Xaiomi A1 that don't need a external dac and are at a really good price point. Totally my fault, dropped it.... Price for the phone: €180 including tax. To bad they don't update the OS patches anymore. No real problem powering most headphones including the Tins. But your example is an edge case and why two DAC? For redundancy? Two DACs wont make any what so ever difference in how it sounds unless they are badly engineered or broken.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Just stop arguing with this .... I will leave the blank for him to fill in himself.

as much as I can enjoy my Sony purchase before any measurements available and we’ll know the lack of power from it. It’s maybe not the best one out there but usable is enough right? Just like we can buy a sports car and find out it’s slowest on track compared to other cars and still enjoy it right? His defence by full attack is kind of making me sleepy

There is nothing wrong with your choice. We are just having fun... I just can't stop poking the bear.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not a problem that android settings and a application can't cure at a much lower price point. There's even good android phones like my now dead Xaiomi A1 that don't need a external dac and are at a really good price point. Totally my fault, dropped it.... Price for the phone: €180 including tax. To bad they don't update the OS patches anymore. No real problem powering most headphones including the Tins. But your example is an edge case and why two DAC? For redundancy? Two DACs wont make any what so ever difference in how it sounds unless they are badly engineered or broken.
Dual dacs configurations are not for redundancy, they are in dual mono and, theoretically, you can accomplish an extra bit of dynamic range that way. Whether that matter is of course debatable.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't defending the Sony. I was referring to my DAP. Don't have an iPhone- have a Samsung S10+, use UAPP and it's not that easy to quickly turn off those pesky alerts. Obviously can't hear phone alerts when plugged into the R5. I can use the R5 as a external DAC as well.

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Dual dacs configurations are not for redundancy, they are in dual mono and, theoretically, you can accomplish an extra bit of dynamic range that way. Whether that matter is of course debatable.
As you say, debatable. For me it's just a case of marketing fluff. "We have a superior construction and you will hear the best dynamic range."

It might be a cool construction and looks really good with RGB lights and windows. Looking a you CHORD... but better sound, LOL
And that IS totally fine. I still buy electronics not based on reason or objectivity. Just for a non essential feature. (as anyone here will attest to that they do too)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 DAC's = more DR and more power than 1. Just ask LG.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yes this Sony lack power, so do all phones outputs, so do all dongles, yes it's an opinion and not a hard fact, but me, personally, I'll take a 2V output, non current limited trough any load over a Bluetooth CODEC if necessary, than a lossless high res reproduction with great SINAD trough an anemic output. Yes, even for decently efficient IEMs, and yes it's a subjective assessment.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Yes this Sony lack power, so do all phones outputs, so do all dongles, yes it's an opinion and not a hard fact, but me, personally,
Totally fine, no argument here, it's your opinion.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hiby stuff measures badly though
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iby-r6-pro-portable-music-player-review.9931/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wolfx700-measurement-of-hiby-r3.10922/

Though at least they don't charge $1000 for those.

As for the issues with mail interruptions and upsampling with phones, here's the thing: you're already buying a neutered android gadget with subpar spec and subpar measurements on top of having your phone. At $549 like that R6 'Pro', you have a swat of much snappier phones that you can use as a complementary gadget to your phone just like your DAP would be and with some dongles you're getting much better audio performances, put on airplane mode and it's pretty much a DAP. For upsampling issue, app like Usb Audio Player solves that beautifully. Only thing a DAP has over another phone+dongle is playback buttons, which is fair if that's your thing.

Honestly, if I'm really serious about listening on the go, I'd work some way to make tiny streamer like nanopi https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opi-neo2-worlds-smallest-audio-streamer.7598/ fit into a 3D printed case with a tiny power bank and a dongle. Then just control it with my phone using MPD or something, will be better performing than many of these DAPs or bluetooth dongles and I won't have to constantly take it out of my pocket like with DAPs. It's fortunately not my use @case.

Please don't lump all Hiby products together. Until the R5, R3, R3 Pro, R8 are measured we won't know. "neutered andriod gadget with subpar spec and subpar measurements"-really? That's a lot of supposition in one sentence. The R5 is running Andriod 8.1, has UAT, 2-way bluetooth, 2-way LDAC, MSEB, and outputs 1040 mW@ 32 ohm balanced and 564 mW @ 32 ohm SE-both HP and LO. Oh, and MQA support (detest it tho). Oh, and does your phone have Panasonic Electrolytic capacitors and Tantalum POSCAP capacitors? Didn't think so. What about dual NDK crystal oscillators? A DAP is a purpose built device, much like many audio products we purchase. It has its use case and there are many of us who use them and love them. I typically use mine in the car using the LO feature-sounds incredible. Even though my phone has a fairly good DAC and power output it cannot compare to the DAP. Don't believe me? Come listen.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
You don't believe the current output of 2 separate DACs would be greater than 1 DAC?
Not relevant, the DAC itself doesn't provide the amping. The output analogue stages do, regardless where they are, integrated in the DAC or on the same pcb.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not relevant, the DAC itself doesn't provide the amping. The output analogue stages do, regardless where they are, integrated in the DAC or on the same pcb.
Do the DAC's not feed the amp stages?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LG quad DAC phone that Amir reviewed uses ES9218P chips which have integrated output buffers so doubling up on them will indeed increase output current.

Based on the anemic output level it looks like it's ruined by the usual idiotic EU regs so that advantage is lost.

The measurements show that doubling them up does increases SINAD though.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LG quad DAC phone that Amir reviewed uses ES9218P chips which have integrated output buffers so doubling up on them will indeed increase output current.

Based on the anemic output level it looks like it's ruined by the usual idiotic EU regs so that advantage is lost.

The measurements show that doubling them up does increases SINAD though.
Thankfully no restrictions on the R5.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Don't have an iPhone- have a Samsung S10+, use UAPP and it's not that easy to quickly turn off those pesky alerts.

It couldn't be quicker and easier to turn off alerts on a smartphone - just pull down the notification panel and tap the speaker button until it's on the mute symbol. Or if you don't want visual alerts either tap the 'Do not disturb' icon. Or tap the 'Flight mode' button if you want no incoming connections at all. Simple.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It couldn't be quicker and easier to turn off alerts on a smartphone - just pull down the notification bar and tap the speaker button until it's on the mute symbol. Or if you don't want visual alerts either tap the 'Do not disturb' icon. Or tap the 'Flight mode' button if you want no incoming connections at all. Simple.
Unfortunately if I mute the speaker then I can't hear the music. Even when using UAPP text and/or email alerts are audible.

Top Bottom