• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Hours of searching. As the "you don't know what you are doing" from some members was no help, and zero response from the manufacturer, one issue may be that I was testing using the Windows Direct Sound interface. It has been suggested elsewhere this protocol actually causes some level of distortion. Not sure that makes sense, but it came from a reputable company.

Others suggest one should use the ASIO interface, but not the ASIO-4-All. Not sure either protocol would have resolved it intermittently not waking up which is why it was returned. Hate to see a good product fail because of bad documentation.

In either case, looks like I'll be switching to J-River as the FOOBAR interface is more "list" and the boss likes the skins in Windows Media Server. HWHL

NgtFlyer

Hours of searching. As the "you don't know what you are doing" from some members was no help, and zero response from the manufacturer, one issue may be that I was testing using the Windows Direct Sound interface. It has been suggested elsewhere this protocol actually causes some level of distortion. Not sure that makes sense, but it came from a reputable company.

Others suggest one should use the ASIO interface, but not the ASIO-4-All. Not sure either protocol would have resolved it intermittently not waking up which is why it was returned. Hate to see a good product fail because of bad documentation.

In either case, looks like I'll be switching to J-River as the FOOBAR interface is more "list" and the boss likes the skins in Windows Media Server. HWHL

All DACs work the same as far as interfacing to the OS (or your player of choice usually).. You will want to avoid using directsound and use WASAPI or ASIO depending on the player. I am using the WASAPI output plugin with exclusive mode in my case (Fubar2000), and the DAC handily displays the bitrate of the source file I am playing, be it a CD rip, some hi-res format or DSD.

As always, no disrespect is meant and I hope your new DAC works well. Happy listening.

Azathoth

Okay, I found out that if I unplug it from the computer and leave the DAC powered on through my USB charger, touching the metal body seems to give me a buzzing feeling, something I've felt before when I had grounding issues with my laptop years ago. I tried changing outlets, using a different power strip but it's still there.. Sound is unaffected, but my question is will this damage the unit in any way?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Okay, I found out that if I unplug it from the computer and leave the DAC powered on through my USB charger, touching the metal body seems to give me a buzzing feeling, something I've felt before when I had grounding issues with my laptop years ago. I tried changing outlets, using a different power strip but it's still there.. Sound is unaffected, but my question is will this damage the unit in any way?
If you can feel it, that is a pretty high voltage. Something is amiss. Hard to say what remotely. I would be suspicious of the USB charger. Some are very good, some are total POS.

D

Deleted member 18309

I had a similar issue when I first got the DAC, but back then had no idea what it was. I no longer have said issue. I have moved to a different room in this house since, so that may have something to do with it. I don't think it can damage your DAC, but someone more knowledgeable may provide you with more certain/useful info.

nar53

My Topping E30/L30 experience so far.

So I was looking to upgrade my Schiit Modi3/Magni3 to something that would give me remote volume control. Most days I spend an hour or two sat a few meters from my desk & due to mobility problems I can't easily jump up & down to adjust the volume. I looked at & drooled over all sorts of kit IE RME ADI, Topping D90/A90, Sabaj D5 & other stuff. In the end thinking MQA future proof I pulled the trigger on the SMSL M500. This little thing did everything I needed but unfortunately it's display failed after 3 or 4 days. It still worked but you had no idea what was going on. So I sent it back & expected to be doubling my budget. Then I started reading about the L30 & the E30 & I thought why not give em a go. And so I did & I'm so happy I did, to me they sound as good as the M500 & definitely a step up from the Schiits. As for remote volume, the DAC does come with a remote but it doesn't control the volume. But I use Audirvana which does allow me to control the volume via the app on my phone, so what I do is set the volume to the max I can stand & then drop it to suit whatever I'm listen to.

Maybe sometime in the future, if I manage to dodge Covid I'll splash out on a one box solution, but for now I'm very happy with what I've got.

Oh & my Cans are Quad ERA-1's & Senny HD600's

And I forgot to say my source is a Hackintosh with the USB going through a Schiit WYRD to the DAC

Quomz

There are two modes for the E30: DAC Mode with fixed volume and another mode - I think called pre-amp mode - where volume can be controlled with the remote. Check the manual, it‘s described there.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Catching up on these last pages...

Source material isn't really the point. The main advantage of sending 32-bit data to the DAC is to be able to perform volume control in the digital domain -- it lowers the quantization noise introduced by the volume control. This benefit used to be largely theoretical, but these days performance of top-end DACs like the D90 is so phenomenal that apart from H2 and H3, quantization noise actually starts to be a limiting factor if you're doing digital volume adjustment using 24-bit data. (I'm not saying any of this is audible though.)
Hi @ElNino , you are raising an interesting question about bit depth. Let's assume we have a classic 16/44 file :
  • A player like foobar2000 works internally in 32bit, so I guess it treats it as 32/44 padded with zeroes, which is handy for controlling volume via foobar losslessly down to a certain attenuation
  • If the player outputs in DS or ASIO, I guess it will automatically output at the file's bit depth, hence 16 bit (other bit depths can't be selected in my case). So in case of a 16/44 file, the E30 gets 16 bit.
  • If the player outputs in WASAPI, then we can select the bit depth (at least in my case), so we can force foobar to output 24/44 or 32/44 (with or without dithering) to the DAC. But I wonder if there's any use for that.
Now the question : does the E30 process 16 or 24 bit files internally in 32bit too ? (padding them with zeroes). Because that would be handy too for controlling volume via the remote losslessly down to a certain attenuation

Am I right, or am I missing something ?

nar53

There are two modes for the E30: DAC Mode with fixed volume and another mode - I think called pre-amp mode - where volume can be controlled with the remote. Check the manual, it‘s described there.

Hi Quomz I am aware that the E30 has volume control on the Pre Amp side but judging by the reviews the Pre Amp side isn't very good so I haven't bothered trying it, though maybe I should. As it is I'm quite happy to use Audirvana to control the volume.

Quomz

Hi Quomz I am aware that the E30 has volume control on the Pre Amp side but judging by the reviews the Pre Amp side isn't very good so I haven't bothered trying it, though maybe I should. As it is I'm quite happy to use Audirvana to control the volume.
The difference is just variable volume or not as far as I know - and different information displayed. See this post e.g.. I thought you moved away from Magni / Modi because you wanted DAC / Amp with remote volume control, might have misunderstood. Or you found another way.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Besides the Windows sound protocols, for those streaming music, I am finding huge amounts of information on network card settings. Some from streaming services, some from gaming sites. These could effect the number of "ticks" i.e. dropouts you receive.
I started digging as after the recent Windows updates, I started getting NDv.sys errors, blue screen of death. Seems to be a common problem.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor

Not a direct answer, but my distortion dropped immensely when I set it to -15 dB in the control panel. I was running Windows Direct though.

Aldoszx

Not a direct answer, but my distortion dropped immensely when I set it to -15 dB in the control panel. I was running Windows Direct though.

Why don't you forget about windows and take a Raspberry Pi?
Obliviously, you and Windows are not friends.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any reason to pair the E30 with L30 over say a SP200 or Monoprice THX 887?

A tiny bit more power, a tiny bit more distortion on the THX. Looks and price and features should decide.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Any reason to pair the E30 with L30 over say a SP200 or Monoprice THX 887?
They make for a tidy little stack. I krazy-glued the little feet of the L30 to the to top of the E30, makes it easier to move around:

IMG_20201026_100546.jpg

Top Bottom