• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

NgtFlyer

ha ha i still have not removed the plastic from both the E30 and L30... will keep them on :p

I did remove mine.. Only partly because pull tabs and partly because there was a small bubble underneath one of them :p

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

raif71

Major Contributor
Oh my.. so you are also the people that have a transparent plastic cover over their leather couches as well then? ;)
Now that's a bit too far though I've seen people keep the plastic on the seats of cars for years!! I still have my plastic covers on all my Topping dacs/amps :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And I thought I would meet some rational people over here at ASR .. oh boy .. how wrong I was .. :facepalm:

.. just kidding here guys .. You guys just do your own! You really don't need (and should not care about) my (or anyone else's) approval :cool:

bboris77

I used to have a coworker that kept the shipping protective plastic on his phone because he did not want to buy a proper screen protector...After a few months it would get super gross.

Personally, I can’t stand screen protectors for phones but I fully approve of phone cases since most cellphones have horrible slippery sides and backs.

As for desktop equipment, there’s no need for this protective plastic. Manufacturers should simply use textured plastic or textured metal paint in areas where things get plugged. Brushed aluminium and glossy black plastic are a problem as they get marked easily. That first scratch is tough but then it gets better lol.

NgtFlyer

Oh my.. so you are also the people that have a transparent plastic cover over their leather couches as well then? ;)

Nope, I remove them when I unpack them almost always, unless it's a product I have for review or something I am gifting to someone else.

enio nery

hi, been a lurker since last year. I am an anti BS in general but more so in audio, :D And so i really enjoy the reviews and the dry humor, AHAHA:confused: so my question is this or the SMSL SU 8? love from the Philippines!

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hi, been a lurker since last year. I am an anti BS in general but more so in audio, :D And so i really enjoy the reviews and the dry humor, AHAHA:confused: so my question is this or the SMSL SU 8? love from the Philippines!
Welcome!

Do you want/need balanced outputs? There's quite a price difference between the E30 and the SU8 and so I think this question is a good starting point.

mye30isbeinglame

Hello, first post here.

I am having issues with my E30 that I purchased three weeks ago. There are times where it'll produce this short burst of static noise and the audio will completely cut out right after. I then have to turn it off and back on with the remote for it to work again. I've mostly noticed it happening when there's a sudden increase in volume, such as a grenade exploding in a video game. Since I've received it three weeks ago it's happened at least 10 times and it doesn't look like it's going to stop.

Further details:

- I run it exclusively on DAC mode with a Schiit Magni 2. The E30 is powered via USB. I have an Xbox One that's connected to my E30 via optical but it's off 99% of the time.
- The RCA cables that I use are these: https://www.amazon.com/Schiit-PYST-Pair-inch-Cables/dp/B07QNTXGWK. I've had them for 3 years now.
- I am using the default drivers that appeared when I plugged it in for the first time. I didn't update to the V1.08 firmware because according to their website I don't have to.
- Headphones I'm using are DT 770s 250 ohm (idk if you need this info)

Any help is appreciated. I like this DAC a lot and I really don't want to return it.

GDK

Forum Donor
Hello, first post here.

I am having issues with my E30 that I purchased three weeks ago. There are times where it'll produce this short burst of static noise and the audio will completely cut out right after. I then have to turn it off and back on with the remote for it to work again. I've mostly noticed it happening when there's a sudden increase in volume, such as a grenade exploding in a video game. Since I've received it three weeks ago it's happened at least 10 times and it doesn't look like it's going to stop.

Further details:

- I run it exclusively on DAC mode with a Schiit Magni 2. The E30 is powered via USB. I have an Xbox One that's connected to my E30 via optical but it's off 99% of the time.
- The RCA cables that I use are these: https://www.amazon.com/Schiit-PYST-Pair-inch-Cables/dp/B07QNTXGWK. I've had them for 3 years now.
- I am using the default drivers that appeared when I plugged it in for the first time. I didn't update to the V1.08 firmware because according to their website I don't have to.
- Headphones I'm using are DT 770s 250 ohm (idk if you need this info)

Any help is appreciated. I like this DAC a lot and I really don't want to return it.
Welcome to the forum! Do you get an ERR message on the screen after this happens at all?

I had issues with mine initially. I resolved the issue by changing the USB cable that I was using (I think it may have come with the DAC?). I also leave mine on all the time as I always had more issues when I first turned it on.

I am sure you will be able to get a solution here.

mye30isbeinglame

Welcome to the forum! Do you get an ERR message on the screen after this happens at all?

I had issues with mine initially. I resolved the issue by changing the USB cable that I was using (I think it may have come with the DAC?). I also leave mine on all the time as I always had more issues when I first turned it on.

I am sure you will be able to get a solution here.
Off the top of my head I don't think an error message appears when it happens. I'll be sure to to look at the screen if (or when) it happens again to confirm.

Also switched the USB cable just now since it's doesn't hurt to try. Thanks for the response!

McLenin

First of all, warm greetings from Slovakia :)
I went through all 160+ pages and some other threads also and wanted to thank all of this community for their opinions and measurements!

It actually made me buy the E30 which arrived yesterday, and I am very satisfied with it, it certainly is an audible upgrade compared to integrated DAC of my Marantz PM6005.
Also no trouble with setup, I just had to install drivers for windows and it works like a charm.

Stay safe and healthy

Martin

Lucco

Hello, Folks.

I plan to upgrade my Fiio BTR5 to a Topping E30/L30 stack and I have two "noob" questions about DAC:

I intend to use the configurations below:
Notebook (Tidal) -> Topping E30/L30 -> Sennheiser HD 600/650
Galaxy S20 (Tidal) -> Topping E30/L30 -> Sennheiser HD 600/650
Galaxy Tab A 2016 (Tidal) -> Topping E30 / L30 -> Sennheiser HD 600/650

1) Is there any difference in terms of "data transfer rate" and, consequently, sound quality, if I use my Galaxy Tab A (Android 8) that I bought ~5 years ago and the Galaxy S20?

2) Is there a difference in terms of sound quality, if I use a USB 3.0 cable instead of a USB 2.0 cable?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Is there a difference in terms of sound quality, if I use a USB 3.0 cable instead of a USB 2.0 cable?
Note that a USB 3.0 A-B cable does not fit a USB 2.0 peripheral device like E30.

Perfect_pint

Hello, Folks.

I plan to upgrade my Fiio BTR5 to a Topping E30/L30 stack and I have two "noob" questions about DAC:

1) Is there any difference in terms of "data transfer rate" and, consequently, sound quality if I use my Galaxy Tab A (Android 8) that I bought ~5 years ago and the Galaxy S20?

2) Is there a difference in terms of sound quality, if I use a USB 3.0 cable instead of a USB 2.0 cable?

1) I don't think so. Digital is digital so do not think you will notice any difference compared to other sources.
2) Voodooless is right. USB2 and USB3 cables will make no difference. A few years ago I went too far and started to build my own Shielded Audio USB cables.....Any difference?.. Nope. Just get a $5-$10 one on amazon.
Extra tip 3) Leave the protective cover on when it arrived, makes the E30 and L30 sound much better. ;)

ngs428

Pulled the trigger on the E30+L30 ensemble from Apos. Currently on its way across the pond. Excited to get this setup!

NgtFlyer

Hello, Folks.

1) Is there any difference in terms of "data transfer rate" and, consequently, sound quality, if I use my Galaxy Tab A (Android 8) that I bought ~5 years ago and the Galaxy S20?

The connector on the rear of the DAC is USB 2.0. A USB 3 A/B cable will not fit because it is shaped differently. And if it could, there would be zero change in fidelity.

Sukie

Forum Donor
The connector on the rear of the DAC is USB 2.0. A USB 3 A/B cable will not fit because it is shaped differently. And if it could, there would be zero change in fidelity.
Important point to make and often overlooked. USB A 3.0 connectors and backwards compatible but USB B 3.0 connectors are not. This can lead to confusion.

As stated by @NgtFlyer a USB 3.0 cable will not fit the E30.

Top Bottom