• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Sancus
When I'll save enough for either 8351B or the 8361A I could never buy the 8351B because psychologically the 8361A is the flagship and is much bigger and has much more bass and SPL and that's important if you don't plan on buying a sub, and you'll also feel that you have "the best" vs having the 8351B

You won't be getting the "the best" without a sub. Besides, these kinds of speakers only work optimally in small rooms. They can't hang with speakers like JTR 215RT in SPL and extension.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here on ASR it's popular to mention whatever speaker has the flattest and smoothest frequency response, but that's a child's view imo. There are more things to sound than just frequency response that you need more advanced measurements to see.

IMD is one, linearity/compression is another. A third is dispersion control. A speaker that only has dispersion control over 2khz doesn't really have much control, so it's not straightforward to say that 8351 is better than a Dutch 8c. In my eyes it's the opposite due to that and a few other factors, like capacity, room friendliness and extension.

Then again, those speakers are both on the narrow side dispersion wise, so maybe a Salon 2 will sound better in most rooms.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMD is one, linearity/compression is another. A third is dispersion control. A speaker that only has dispersion control over 2khz doesn't really have much control, so it's not straightforward to say that 8351 is better than a Dutch 8c. In my eyes it's the opposite due to that and a few other factors, like capacity, room friendliness and extension.

Well there's a reason I said stereo can't compete. But the W371A adds D&D 8c like directivity control down to 50hz and much more SPL at the same time to the 8351.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well there's a reason I said stereo can't compete. But the W371A adds D&D 8c like directivity control down to 50hz and much more SPL at the same time to the 8351.
Best speaker configuration and best speaker is not the same. :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The question is how does the 8361A competes directly with D&D 8C without paying $40k for 2XW371

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is how does the 8361A competes directly with D&D 8C without paying $40k for 2XW371

And it's a good question. But very hard to evaluate without a double blind comparison as there are many variables and we really don't know the practical value of low frequency directivity control. Plus you'd have to get into the question of GLM vs the D&D 8c's correction, etc. If using no correction at all, I suspect the 8c has a slight edge. But that's an unrealistic scenario, of course. Eventually I'm sure both those speakers will get reviews here :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it sad to see more and more of such nonsense topics in ASR which can be "enjoyed" in thousands of other websites and forums and would be happy if people wouldn't respond to them to keep the forums SINAD higher...

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I actually don't understand what the problem is , it's "nonsense" to you, I asked a legitimate question, I was made fun of in some comments and took it with humor with no problems at all, and other comments were informative.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it sad to see more and more of such nonsense topics in ASR which can be "enjoyed" in thousands of other websites and forums and would be happy if people wouldn't respond to them to keep the forums SINAD higher...

I dunno man this seems like a "fun, not-serious" topic to me and you can just ignore it if you want.

Far worse are the hundreds of pages of nonsense arguments in the latest speaker review thread with the clueless who are offended on behalf of their favourite commercial product, and we seem to have no trouble tolerating that. Have you seen how many deliberate troll posts it takes before you get banned on this forum?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with @thewas_ on this, although being bored at work I reply to all kinds of things - and always keeping in mind that this internet business isn't serious stuff!

But the answer to this question is and will always be it depends. It can never be anything else because there's so many variables to consider and many of them are directly opposites. Like my earlier example of near-field speaker vs PA applications.

First define the needs and problems, then you can look at constructive solutions.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno man this seems like a "fun, not-serious" topic to me and you can just ignore it if you want.
I expect to see such "fun, not-serious" topics in the Other Areas of Interest section in a forum called ASR.
I left all other audio forums as this one has a high standard of discussions and I am not interested in the generic off-topic and "fun", there exist much better sources for that. And ignoring is not a real option as I don't want to waste my time clicking first through topics in the imho wrong section to see that they are off-topic to ignore them after.

Far worse are the hundreds of pages of nonsense arguments in the latest speaker review thread with the clueless who are offended on behalf of their favourite commercial product, and we seem to have no trouble tolerating that. Have you seen how many deliberate troll posts it takes before you get banned on this forum?
One problem doesn't make the other not being one and yes, I would wish more strict moderation which seems not feasible though with just 2 mods at the size ASR has grown lately.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine... ;)
speakers.jpg

Top Bottom